I am 62 years old and, when I see and hear back to school commercials, I still get the heebie-jeebies. When my mom would say how much she could not wait to go back to school, I just looked to her as if she was some freak. So, I wondered if there are any songs about the he’ll of going back to school. I wish there was one that came close to my feeling of dreck, but I came up with these 3 and joined the wonderful Monday Music Moves Me, on Wednesday.
1. ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL BY PINK FLOYD-1979
This is a great song about the harsh way teachers and administrators dealt with kids. The worst I got was having to stand in the corner, I think I was in grade 2…My hubby was one who would get the strap or the ruler but he knew what to do. Pull out a hair from your head and place it on your palm of your hand. When the ruler, or strap, came down, it would cut and blood would show and the disciplinarians would have to stop. Ahhh, school.
2. SCHOOL DAYS BY CHUCK BERRY-1957
This is just a fun song that I love and thought it was quite right….i hoped I would pass. Chuck was cool.
3. HIGHWAY TO HELL BY AC/DC-1979
This doesn’t have anything to do with school, but I always thought about it when I knew I had to go back. I do believe, strongly, in education but I hated the system, the constant bullying and some teachers were horrible but typical teachers for the day. In my day, we had teachers who would look down the girls’ tops and the “popular” girls knew so they unbuttoned their tops and, yes, they got As. We had teachers who believed in Hitler and would walk up and down the aisle with the big ruler smoking it down on any kids’ desk. Oh and the ones who would throw the chalk or eraser at you if they felt you were talking.
Yeah, I guess I’m a bit jaded:) Wht songs can you think of about your school years?
And at the opposite end is Alice Cooper's School's Out.
ReplyDeleteNow that I am also in my sixties and well past school age I think all kids should have year-round school.
Ahhhh….year round?? In Germany and Austria, I believe they just have 2 weeks off and then they are back to school. In North America we could learn about the educational system of other countries.
DeleteWow! You sure went to some horrible schools, Birgit! I do remember teachers using the strap and rular in elementary school, but thank goodness, was never personally affected. Love that AC/DC tune. Here's a school song for you, from a great Canadian band:
ReplyDeleteHigh School Confidential
Cream my jeans! Love that song!! Her voice is incredible. Oh yes, school was horrible and my history teacher, fat and narcissistic, loved to place certain students way up and me…..the opposite.
DeleteThere was disciplinary actions taken during my school years. I got lifted by the seat of my pants a few times and I'm sure I deserved the spanking. Teachers can overstep their bounds, though. Some people don't need to be in that line of work. Many of the educators today are pandering to the narrative to poison children against their parents.
ReplyDeleteI had a certain dread of returning to school at summer's end but for the most part I was anxious to see my friends again. Looking back, I really don't remember any truly horrible teachers. Some where a bit uptight, but heck it's hard to deal with 25 kids at one time and for that I'll cut them some slack.
Excellent song picks, Birgit. Feel free to join us on the dance floor. Have a boogietastic week, m'dear! xo
I never got a spanking but my kindergarten teacher, who actually really liked me, pulled me up by my ear. I think I was talking too much. I think there are many parents who should not have children. Many more should go to class and be taught that discipline is good and is different from abuse. No means No.
DeleteI can't think of any songs about going back to school. I'm sorry your school days were so unpleasant. Those teachers were horrible. I had a few bad teachers, but no one that nasty. My first grade teacher spanked me--not hard enough to hurt me but it was upsetting and embarrassing. She hated me. As I grew a little older, I would rush through the school work so I could read a book from the school library. Libraries and books got me through school.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
Oh, I know many my age who went to different schools and had similar teachers. Yes, hated school especially all the bullying. That one teacher who looked down the girls’ tops? He asked me to sty after school and would help me understand math. I was looking t the chalkboard trying to understand the math problem. He started to talk to me and then placed his arm around me almost touching my left boob. I looked at him, took his arm and took it off of me and stared him down like he was a pig. He quickly told me that there was no use teaching me and from then on gave me horrible marks. He said I need to take the lower class because I don’t have the mental ability to understand. I took this to my principal. He was a priest, but he did nothing. I found out my former principal was charged with child porn and is now in prison. Maybe he is dead or they let him go. Who knows. Another teacher was having sex with the mayor, was caught, naked tied up with the naked Mayor in Niagara Falls, NY. Because they picked up 2 male gigalos who robbed them. Later it was found this priest, with the mayor, were embezzling funds from the Bingo being run from the school. Another nun had a nervous breakdown and another was arrested for something I can’t recall now.
DeleteYour teachers sound awful. I had some terrible teachers, but no hitting (although my 1st grade teacher liked to pick kids up by their ears). No wonder school gives you the heebie-jeebies.
ReplyDeleteOh yeah…which teacher won’t give me the time of day, place their lips up the asses of the popular kids and, on top of that, severely bullied by the kids.
Delete