Over at Monday Music Moves Me, this week was all about Pirates and it got me thinking about all the Pirate movies that are out there. Thank you Cathy, from Curious As A Cathy, for this inspiration.
1. JAMAICA INN- 1939
Believe it or not, this is an Alfred Hitchcock film, but considered one of his lesser works. This stars Charles Laughton, who helped produce the film, and it co-stars Laughton’s protege, Maureen O’Hara in her first film role. This young gal wishes to live with her Aunt at Jamaica Inn which is right on the coast where many ships have run aground. She is caught in a storm and the kindly, rich man, played by Laughton, gives her shelter in his very large home. When she finally meets her Aunt at the Inn, she is, unwittingly, brought into a den of thieves who follow a pirate deliberately crashing the ships onto the rocks to steal their loot. As in all Hitchcock films, not everything is as it seems and this is a good movie to find out all that is going on.
2. THE PRINCESS AND THE PIRATE-1944
This is. Funny Bob Hope comedy that co-stars Virginia Mayo as a princess who is kidnapped by a pirate. Bob Hope plays an actor who takes cowardice to a new level. When the pirates’ men take on a ship where Hope is on, he disguises himself as a Gypsy. He is one butt ugly Gypsy! It is very funny and the ending is pure gold.
3. THE PIRATE-1948
This is a technically, beautiful film with rich colours especially the reds and oranges. Vincente Minelli has his mark on the cult film. It did tank at the box office but it is now a cult film that stars Gene Kelly and Judy Garland as a circus performer (Kelly) who falls for the unhappily engaged lady(Garland). When he dins out she has the hots for the mysterious pirate, Macoco. Kelly knows who the real pirate is and blackmails him so that Kelly can play the pirate. Things do not go as planned and he is looking at the noose meant for him. He dances with the famous Nicholas Bros. In the “Be A Clown” scene which is a highlight. Sadly, this could easily be cut from the film so it could be seen in the Southern States since they are still very prejudicial and would not see this film because of the dance scene.
O these re my pirate picks. What are your’s. Sorry for being late, I am writing this this morning and I keep dozing off. I have a bit of narcolepsy and ran out of my meds. My dr. Gave the wrong meds to my pharmacist so I have been out for 2 days now. I hope I don’t sleep at work but I probably will. It sucks!
Hi, Birgit!
ReplyDeleteI have not yet seen some of Alfred Hitchcock's earlier films, including the one you posted in its entirety today, Jamaica Inn. I spot checked the movie and enjoyed the intense storm action sequences at the beginning and near the end. Although I was a big Bob Hope fan, I don't think I ever watched The Princess And The Pirate. Among the players in that film, I also liked Virginia Mayo and Walter Slezak, the latter an Austrian actor who appeared in Hitchcock's Lifeboat. Walter was the father of Erika Slezak who, for many years, played "Viki Lord" on the soap One Life To Live. The third pirate film is also new to me, seeing as how it is heavy on singing and dancing. But wait, there's hope for me yet! One example of singing and dancing on film that I can not only tolerate but love to watch again and again is the iconic scene in which Michael Jackson and the zombies perform their synchronized and brilliantly choreographed number in Thriller. On that subject, Mrs. Shady and I just watched the 2026 film Michael and loved it. I urge you to see it if at all possible. It will bring back memories of your hell raising youth. :)
Sorry to learn that you are a sleepy time gal, dear friend BB. Hope you stay awake at work and get your mixed-up prescription sorted. Enjoy your month and come see me at Shady's Place if and when you can.