Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Music and Words Award-Thank You!



Cherdo On The Flipside was gracious enough to nominate me for the Music and Words Award. #MW. She is funny, loves music and has a beautiful soul so you should check out her blog. So the rules are as follows:

1. Link back to the person who nominated you

2. Answer the questions in words and music.

3. Pass the award on to 5 bloggers who inspire you with their posts about music.

4. Tag your post with a #MWA, for Music & Words Award so we can all find you down the line.

5. Quote these 5 steps and the award icon in your post. You can display the award icon on your sidebar as well.

So here we go...

1. What Does Music Mean To You?

I have never been one to understand the lyrics when I listen to a song. When the record albums came out with all the lyrics printed, I loved it! Regardless, music saved me. It is an art form that inspires and creates huge emotions whether they be sadness, joy, bliss...you name it. I .....knew fear when I was 7 years old. I was scared for my life and, later, for my family's life unless I did as I was told. Being told that you will have your throat slit from ear to ear and, later, your parents and your brother was downright scary. When the bullying started in grade school and then increased in high school where, again, I was threatened with cutting my throat(the one girl lifted me by my neck against the lockers while the others threatened me) just increased my fear. Hospital visits, taunts, trying to get me to commit suicide was basically a normal thing in my life....Jeez I am a downer right now! Anyhoo, movies, reading, Music and my parents protected me and opened up a world of riches. The beauty of music showed me how lovely the world could be and when I was so very young and scared, I could remember the beauty of music throughout the house. It comforted me and gave me security. It showed me love and gratitude and happiness. I always wanted to dance to this...



2. What is Your First Music Related Memory?

How I love thinking back to when I was little, sitting at the table colouring while my dad was reading and my mom was making dinner. This tune, my mom often played and it brings back the warmest of memories. It also reminds me of my mom


3. What Was The First Album You Purchased?

Now before you think I only own classical...I don't! I love the Blues, Classic Rock, Folk, just about anything (except Rap and hip hop blechh). I bought every ABBA album and ELO album plus Klaatu and Jon and Vangelis. My first album I bought was an ABBA record...Arrival.


4. What was the Last Music You Bought (No downloading or streaming-must be an album or CD)?

I love Andre Rieu! I think he is great and I saw him twice in concert. I know, I should be saying I saw The Who, Duran, Duran or whatever but, nope, it's this guy. He travels all over the world and it is an experience to see him...if you like classical, folk and movie music. I bought Magic of the Musicals.


5.  What Song Did You Listen To Last?

You will think it is another movie theme or classical...nope! It is Queen and this one song I listened to a lot when I was young. I played this again just this past weekend and danced:)...well not to this song but  to others:)


Now this is where I should nominate 5 people who have a love for music. Everyone loves music! I do know some wonderful crafting people and others who take photos etc... but the people who truly listen to the music and showcase it on their blogs have already won the awards so if anyone wants to do this of their own volition, please do so. I had fun creating this and even though I showed a vulnerable side...I don't care:)  because it is a part of me that has molded me to be a better person. Film, Love from my family and Music all shaped this. Hope you have the time to listen.

44 comments:

  1. Birgit, that bullying story is terrible. Too much of that still going on today. As for music memories, one of my earliest is also Blue Tango. As kids, my cousins and I would dance to that song in my cousin's basement - where us kids were always relegated at family gatherings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ...I had quite a few years and it was not fun but music helped. That is so wonderful that your parents danced to this piece,

      Delete
  2. Hi, dear Birgit!

    Congratulations on receiving the MWA, dear friend! The post you composed allows us to know you better and find out what types of music have been most important to you throughout life. It makes me sad to know that you spent a portion of your young life in fear, the target of bullies. The inspiring part of your story is your ability to adapt, cope and survive the ordeal. You occupied your mind with books, movies and music. They they expanded your horizons and allowed you to develop into the gifted, knowledgeable, popular person you are today. Good for you, BB!

    Thank you for sharing your music with us and the story behind each piece. As it turns out "Blue Tango" by Leroy Anderson's "Pops" Concert Orchestra is one of my early childhood memories. It was one of my parents' 45s and they danced to it in our subterranean game room. Your ears match mine on Blues, Classic Rock, Folk, ELO and ABBA. ABBA is one of my favorite artists of all time and I have collected almost their entire catalog in recent years along with ABBA tribute and sound-alike recordings.

    Thank you very much for putting together such an entertaining and informative MWA acceptance post, dear friend Birgit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that this not only made me strong but made me more compassionate...I hope anyway. You love ABBA? I love them and even have a Spanish album(Gracias Por La Musica).

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing. Music cuts to the heart of who we are, dredging up both the dark and light - our aural madeleines. Your story of your youth is both sad and frightening, though ultimately one of survival. I am grateful to know you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It was .....tough and my parents didn't know...typical actually but I am in such a wonderful place ever since leaving that time and that's what it's all about

      Delete
  4. Music can sure touch each and everybody indeed. Damn, that is some bullying too. Glad you got through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music really does help. Thank god I have Ehlers- Danlos otherwise they would have broken my fingers. They. Just sprained the, every year.

      Delete
  5. I love all the music you shared. Thank you so much for it. Thank you, also, for visiting my blog and commenting. It means a lot because you understand the things I love most!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the music and I love your blog!

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh, what a terrible thing you went through with the bullying. I just don't get why people treat others like that. I can see why music would be such a soothing thing. I love the memory you shared of coloring while at home with your parents around. My mom always had the radio on when she was at home during her chores or making dinner or doing her sewing she enjoyed. I often hear a song from that time and remember my fleeting youth and the good times there :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh whenever I hear the Serenade a smile comes on my face because I feel the security and warmth I had sitting at the table and feeling protected

      Delete
  7. I know you've told me about your bullying experience when you were a kid, but reading it again is still heartbreaking.

    I loved seeing ABBA as your first album. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not an easy 19 years but every person has a story but I bet music has always helped

      Delete
  8. I know you've told me about your bullying experience when you were a kid, but reading it again is still heartbreaking.

    I loved seeing ABBA as your first album. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meet the Beatles was the first music album I purchased. When I told my dad I just paid four bucks for a record he said, "So much money for just one record?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaaaa-parents just don't get it sometimes because they forget what they did when they were young.

      Delete
  10. We Are the Champions. Awesome.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We Are the Champions. Awesome.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crap, you had a rough start.
    Music was an outlet for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was rough and I wish I would have spoken up. Now I would just tell them off. Music is great isn't it

      Delete
  13. BIRGIT ~
    I have a Leroy Anderson CD with 'Blue Tango' on it.

    You really did a nice job with this meme. (Is this a "meme"?)

    I wish we had gone to high school together. One Monday you'd have come to school and found that all your bullying troubles were... phffft! ...gone.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is cool that you have a Leroy Anderson CD. I have no idea if this is a meme because I don't know what that means actually....hahahaaaa. You sound like my hubby who has also said people's noses would have been damaged plus more...I like that.

      Delete
  14. I remember reading about your bullying before but it still broke my heart reading it again. My nephew was bullied horribly and the school did nothing to intervene, and he also found refuge in music. It's a beautiful thing, no doubt.
    Fun to read about your music choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your poor nephew...it is never easy but he will go much farther than the idiots who bullied him. The school did nothing for me either, a coup,e of teachers actually liked the bullies but those teachers are dead now(evil grin). Music really heals the soul.

      Delete
  15. Wow, that bullying story is harrowing. Some kids are truly evil. I wonder what happened to them. Probably terrorizing people in their adult lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would spend a lot of time in the library because they would tell me they would "get me" when I was alone. Spit didn't help my hair either. These same morons just grow up and become adult bullies because their soul is small.

      Delete
  16. Sorry about the bullying. Wonderful that music saved you. I like a lot of music and listen to music all day and every day at home. At least, I have it playing in the background. I am very fond of classical music too and really enjoy the beautiful voices of those who sing such arias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same here. When I am home I have the music always on during the day. It feels so good

      Delete
  17. Birgit, if I was there with you back then, I would've backed you up. Big time! Thank goodness for music, books, and art to find peace and solace in. They all helped me in my childhood and teen years, too. Still do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is nice. I had one friend starting in grade 11 who was from Portugal and dint care what anyone thought. Music and movies truly helped me big time. I also loved books and art. I could escape into all of that

      Delete
  18. You richly deserve the award, Birgit! I love your answers! And best of all, your last para about everyone loving music, which is so true. Your answers made me think back to my own first album/song with western music (Boney M's Sonny and Michael Jackson's Blame it on the boogie) at my cousin's place. Of course I grew up with music and started learning classical vocal at age 5. Mmm. Love your post! And hugs to you - i am so sorry you had to go through that bullying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vidya. Your words mean a lot. You must have a beautiful voice......the opposite of moi:)

      Delete
  19. My God, I am almost crying. It's unbelievable how awful kids can be to other kids - no doubt because their parents were/are awful to them. I'm so sorry you went through that hell, but very glad your family and music kept you afloat.

    ABBA was one of my first albums too. "...Young and sweet, only 17. See that girl..."

    Hugs to you, Birgit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abba is great in my book:) It was tough but i am richer for it now

      Delete
  20. I always loved reading all the lyrics in the liner notes too. Sadly I feel like my brain is 75% song lyrics from the 90s and now I wish I could unremember some, to free up some space!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was bullied a lot in school, but not to that extent. I can't even imagine. Who were those people? So sad.
    I love classical music and I LOVE all the offerings you had today.
    Great job with the award!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG, Birgit, I had no idea you were bullied to that extent. Wrong doesn't begin to cover it. Just thinking about it makes me so angry.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think you are an amazing woman Birgit and am so happy that you are able to talk about and 'let go' of the horrific things that happened. Enjoy life and just be 'you' coz that's great. ABBA rocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am sorry you had to deal with bullies who threatened you the way they did. That is just horrible! I am glad your parents, music, and books were able to help you get through those scary times. Thanks for opening up to us and sharing that part of your life with us. Sending a hug to you. Also, loved hearing about your different music experiences. ABBA is one of my good friend's favorites too. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Birgit... the story about fear and bullying - scary! Just reading about it gave me the chills. I cannot imagine what you must have gone through. I hope those are well and truly in the past and that you are a stronger person now. Music is a blessing and we take it for granted. My early memory of music involve family moments... the good and the not sad.
    x Asha

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for accepting the nod and playing along, Birgit! You did a great job with this one but I'm so sad to hear that you had to put up with bullying as a child. What is wrong with some people?

    I'm with Al: We Are the Champions is awesome! But your old buddy, Andre - wow! I was not familiar with him but no wonder you saw him multiple times.

    Hugs, girl! Sehr gut!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So sorry to hear about the children that threatened you and made your childhood so terrifying, Birgit. That's awful, but I'm glad your family and your music helped you through.

    When I was a suicidal teenager, I used to play Corey Hart's "Never Surrender" over and over again. I always meant to tell him that he saved my life.

    ReplyDelete