Thursday, January 28, 2021

Thursday Movie Picks:TV Edition-2020 Freshman Series

 

I can be such a daft blonde numbnut. Why might you ask? Well, I read this week's theme over at Wandering Through The Shelves, and immediately thought of TV shows that were about rookies, interns, the new kids on the block(no, not that boy group from whenever they were big) and was racking my brain about shows with new recruits. Finally, my 10 watt bulb saw "2020" and I realized it was about shows that came out last year. My brain was still slow because I just have not seen many, in fact, very few so, without further adieu(like that Patt?), here are my 3 choices...

1. PICARD-COMING BACK!


Can I say, I love this new show starring the great Patrick Stewart as Jean Luc Picard and was able to watch this on the Sci-Fi network(they better keep it there). I am a Star Trek nut (except for the latest STD) and have seen the original many times and love The Next Generation where this beloved character comes into the picture. It starts off with Picard as an old man on his winery estate in France, trying to live out the last part of his life. He is visited by the Dead Data(see the films) who informs him that Dead Data has a daughter(s). It cuts to a young woman who realizes, when people are trying to kill her, that she must see Picard. Picard meets up with her and now the story becomes more involved with the Romulans, The Borg who are trying to become their original beings again, Seven of Nine(who still has a body that won't quit...the bitch), a quirky scientist, a rough chick who hates Picard and an off beat owner of a ship that will take all of them on quite the ride. I loved every part except when they killed off Hugh(sorry for spoiling something so just don't read this part...oh...too late). The writing is excellent as well as the acting and some people from the Next Generation show up to bring in some nostalgia. 

2. FILTHY RICH-CANCELLED



This was a new show starring Kim Catrall(Sex And The City but not the reboot as everyone seems to hate her guts and vice-versa) as a tele-evangelist/Martha Stewart type who has made millions on the gullible..er....Jesus people(not that there is anything wrong with that) who give her their hard earned dollars so she can live in a big mansion, have great clothes and jewels. Her husband helps run this fine tuned business(played by a wonderful Gerald McRaney) and who showers his wifee-poo with jewels. They have 2 children, a boy and a girl who are well into their 20s and, in fact, the boy is married to a Karen. At the end of the first show, you find out that hubby loves to Partee with every floozie he can man handle and was doing this on an airplane when the plane take a nosedive. Everyone believes he is dead...but he is not. As he tries to figure out if he wants to return to the fold, his wife finds out that not only was her husband fooling around but that he sired 3 kids. His illegitimate daughter, being a successful business woman in the 1-900 calls plus operating a clean, well run whorehouse decides that she deserves some of the millions from the stepmom's show and helps her 2 new found brothers realize they deserve some of the action too. Before you think these characters are one-dimensional, think again because they are anything but. You don't dislike any of these people and you see how they are human and have a need for love. The Catrall character is more than just for money but believes in her show and what she preaches and ends up having feelings for all these children even the gal who makes money, the sinning way. Too bad it was cancelled, but, from what I have read, it is partly to do with Covid19.

3. GOOD OMENS-MINISERIES


This came to Canada in 2020 even if it made it's debut in Britain in 2019 so I count this as from last year, so there! Can I say I love this mini series that stars David Tennant and Michael Sheen as angels, one bad(Tennant) and one good(Sheen). You have the wicked British humour, great acting, a great script, good vs evil, Frances McDormand, John Hamm and Benedict Cumberbatch as the, not very happy, Devil. It starts off with Crowley(Tennant) giving Eve the apple and meeting Aziraphale(Sheen) on the walls of Eden watching Adam and Eve leave their paradise but not before Aziraphale takes pity on the poor couple and gives them his flaming sword. Cut to present day(well almost) and you find out the the good and bad angels are friends and often meet for tea. Crowley is always a bit upset that he thought it would be fun to hear out Lucifer and got pushed out of heaven over a misunderstanding since he wasn't truly following  that bad guy while Aziraphale is loving what food choices he might try. They find out that the dark lord has decided to bring his child out to the world which is the beginning of the end of Earth as we know it. Both upstairs and downstairs realize that it must be the end and are looking forward to warring with each other. The kid arrives ready to be swapped for the innocent baby but another very pregnant couple come forth and, in the mayhem, the babies all get switched up. You now have both angels trying to figure out where the "bad" kid is so they don't have to go to war. You have the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse, ready to wreck some damage, a witch trying to stop everything and many other characters including the small demon child who is just enjoying his life with his friends and his dog(demon dog but loses his meanness through the kindness of the kid and others). It is funny, dark but with a message that friendship and love, no matter which side of the tracks they come from, can overcome anything. By the way, I love the musical introduction of this show, I hope you watch it.

Which 3 shows from last year have you watched..if any?

Tomorrow is the 29th(holy Batman, Batman!) and there is a blogathon created by Cinematic Delights where you pick 5 films that you could watch over and over if you were stuck somewhere and could not leave. Check out her post here to find out more. Talk tomorrow!

37 comments:

  1. I haven't seen Good Omens. I would definitely place Picard as number one though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Birgit!

    Fear not, dearie. Some of my best friends are daft blonde numbnuts (not that there's anything wrong with that). :)

    I have not seen any of these freshman series. As I have mentioned many times before, I do not follow Star Trek sequels and spin-offs and therefore do not have Picard on my list.

    Filthy Rich might have been of interest to me, but now that I know it has been canceled I doubt I'll invest time in it. I do like Gerald McRaney, having watched him in House of Cards and This Is Us.

    There are several reasons why I want to watch Good Omens. First, Mrs. Shady and I are fond of all things British. We recently completed the English fantasy drama Eternal Law which portrays a pair of good angels living among us and their struggle against a fallen angel. I love Scottish actor David Tennant. I watched him on Jessica Jones and recently completed the British crime drama Broadchurch and the American version of the series entitled Gracepoint, both fine series starring Tennant. Michael Sheen is an absolute hoot in Prodigal Son, a new dark comedy crime series that Mrs. S. and I follow. We just saw the latest episode last night. Michael McKean was brilliant as Chuck McGill on Better Call Saul. Jon Hamm will always be remembered as Mad Man Don Draper. Finally Mrs. S and I both love Frances McDormand ever since her role in Fargo. Clearly Good Omens is loaded with star power and I am eager to see it.

    I would pick the above mentioned Prodigal Son along with Big Sky (also a hoot) from creator David E. Kelley, and the Aussie fantasy sci-fi series Bloom which premiered in 2019 but was new to me in 2020.

    Thanks, dear friend BB, and enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that you are not a Star Trek fan and so glad you know other blonde numbnuts. David Tennant is such an excellent actor and I know you would love Good Omens and hope you can find it and watch it. I have not watched Prodigal son but maybe I will give it a chance.

      Delete
    2. We started watching Good Omens last night, BB. It's a hoot! Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  3. Good Omens is on my list. Along with many others, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used a 2021 release in my post so I'm not with it either lol. I haven't seen any of your picks, though I'd love to watch Picard eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaaa...glad we bend the rules. Picard is great and I think you would like Good Omens.

      Delete
  5. Hi Birgit...just watching good omens on dvd....missed it last year but laughing my head off....hope you are keeping well....take care xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny isn’t it. And love the angels’ relationship. I am keeping well and same to you.

      Delete
  6. Birgit,

    Interesting line up. Do you know I have not watched a single episode of Sex in the City? I did recently added to our cue. I like Kim Cantrell. She's an excellent actress. I may have to kick that series off pronto. As for the series, Filthy Rich, I'm not I'd like it but I am a little intrigued now that you brought it to my attention. Money doesn't corrupt person, it's a corrupt person who exploits a situation for money or power or both. It's terribly sad when someone who's claiming to do God's work lives better than those who support their ministry. That doesn't seem right to me. I'd rather give my tithes and offerings to someone I know who needs it, you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not sure you will like Sex and the City. I watched it and loved it but it can be very..risqué shall we say. I have met many people who claim to do God’s work but judged me because I think differently and have seen many love money and look down on others but I have met a few who truly mean and believe in God. I have not met you in person(yet) but believe you truly do not judge and love..simply, love. You are a rare being which is beautiful.

      Delete
  7. I've seen none of these though I heard something about the last. The one that appeals the most is the Kim Catrall show which as is usual with shows that interest me was cancelled!

    I've got nothing this week. I started no new shows last year so obviously that left me short!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about great shows that have been cancelled. This was a good show that was well written and acted. I had a feeling you had nothing for this week. It was a tough one.

      Delete
  8. Didn't watch a single TV series from 2020. No real interest for me. If I'm going to talk about TV shows then I need to go way way back.

    So for the theme of rookies and such the first thing that popped into my mind was The Mod Squad from 50 years ago. Guess I'm really behind the times where television shows are concerned.

    I'm bad with the TV stuff. Let me stick with movies.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I had The Rookies on my list with Kate Jackson as one of the wives. The Mod Squad is a great choice!!

      Delete
  9. Not familiar with any of this. I know there were issues with Kim Cattrall and the other SATC actresses but I always liked her. I recently listened to her on a book podcast and she was really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have no clue if it is just a personality thing or more. To be honest I don’t care for Sarah Jessica Parker who I think rules with an iron fist and may rule in a passive aggressive manner. It’s just my take on it and I think Kim Catrall won’t put up with it.

      Delete
  10. I want to see Good Omens, but it's on Amazon, I think, which is a service I do not have. I'll add it to the list. I do love Picard, too. I watched the pilot of Filthy Rich, but no more. I couldn't get into it.

    Let me see if I can come up with three... Zoe's Extraordinary Playlist. Coder sees musical production numbers. Better than it sounds. (I started it just as we closed down. It's back for a 2nd season.)

    I'll leave out Picard as you already picked that. I can't think of any other broadcast shows, so we'll go streaming. Mythic Quest on Apple Plus. It's a workplace comedy about a video game developer. The "genius" behind the game is a buffoon, and the female coder is the brains behind the operation. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Season 2 coming soon.

    Then I guess I'll go with Bridgerton on Netflix. (It dropped on Christmas Day, so it counts for 2020.) Historical soap. I'm sure you've already heard of it. (Honorable mention: The Queen's Gambit.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t seen any of your picks but I would like to see them if they are on a non streaming place.

      Delete
  11. Great choices, Birgit! I've seen and enjoyed them all. Yes, it is too bad that Filthy Rich got cancelled. So many possible plot twists! We are currently watching Michael Sheen in Prodigal Son, a gripping serial killer drama. He is such a superb actor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you saw all of them. I heard about Prodigal Son but I don’t like the serial killer as a hero in some way. I do like Michael Sheen so maybe I will watch it one time.

      Delete
    2. He's not the hero, Birgit. His son (who's an FBI profiler) is. ☺ It's a riveting series and I highly recommend it.

      Delete
  12. Picard was a really good series. And was it really from 2020? Wow. It seems like I watched it so long ago, but with covid time has taken a totally warped perspective. I haven't seen Filthy Rich but Good Omens was a really clever and interesting series for sure. Stay safe and warm! Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picard was on one year ago! Nowadays, it seems. To be the norm for tv shows to take this long to be back on the air. Good Omens is so good.

      Delete
  13. Ooh. I didn't know about Picard. I'd love to watch that series.
    Stay safe. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Birgit - these are ideal for lock-down days ... I must check them out. The Tennant and Sheen partnership has taken off over here ... thanks for these suggestions - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't heard of any of these before but I'm really tempted to watch Good Omens because of Tennant. I simply love that man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you watch it because he is great in this series.

      Delete
  16. The only new I can recall from last year was B Positive, a half-hour comedy about a woman donating a kidney to guy she hadn't seen since high school. Oh wait, there was also Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you like that show? I wanted to tape it and watch it later.

      Delete
  17. Haven't watched Good Omens yet. Picard is sure getting great reviews all around. Have to give that a go one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of these are great and hope you get to see them.

      Delete
  18. Haven't seen any.
    Though I've seen Next Gen, I was too young to remember anything, so I don't know if I'll be lost with Picard.

    ReplyDelete