Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Weekly Song Challenge..I'm late

 


Forgive me that I am late here, I have been feeling quite lost and down due to my job loss. The good news is that hubby's first operation, yesterday, for the kidney stone, went well. They went up his, well...you know, and like Mark Hamill destroying the death star, the doc laser blasted the big kidney stone. Now, he is resting which is good. On to music...Jingle, Jangle, Jungle has 3 more themes and here they are..

A SONG WITH ANGEL IN THE TITLE

A SONG WITH DOG IN THE TITLE

A SONG WITH STAND IN THE TITLE

1. ANGEL OF THE MORNING SUNG BY JUICE NEWTON-1981


When this song came out, I just fell in love with it and would listen to it every chance I got. I was already driving by then so, if it came on the radio, I had to listen to it even if I was late for school (big whoop). I had no idea this song was written in 1967 by Chip Taylor after he heard "Ruby Tuesday" by The Rolling Stones. It has been recorded by many others over the years but this is still my favourite version.

2. HOW MUCH IS THAT DOGGIE IN THE WINDOW SUNG BY PATTI PAGE-1953


This popped into my head because of my daddy. Daddy loved this song and would look at me and sing the title and then do a couple of barks followed by laughter. I laughed when I was a kid, when I was a teenager I smiled but had to roll my eyes only later to sing the same part to my dad when he had his brain tumour operation. We both would smile after. This song was written by Bob Merrill in 1952 with Patti Page making it famous  in 1953. Later, the rights were sold to the Humane Society and Patti Page sang the same song but in a sad bent due to the horrible puppy mills that are everywhere. I prefer this sweet version. 

3. STAND BY ME BY BEN E. KING-1961


This song came out in 1961. the year my brother was born and, I can say, without question, he is standing by me. He sent me flowers last week which deeply touched my heart and they still look beautiful. This song was written by Ben along with Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. There have been tons of others who have recorded their own versions, but my heart belongs to this original.

Finally, I got this out and sorry for the delay. Which 3 would you pick?

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    First, thank you again for the two comments you left at Shady's Place today, dear friend. That was above and beyond...

    I'm glad to see you managed to put together a WSC post so that I can bust my brain with you. I already did so over at Cathy K's, but I think I can come up with three more songs w/o cheating and looking at somebody else's paper.

    First let me comment on your selections. You chose three great songs. As you might recall, I ran a series on Evie Sands a while back in which I posted her original recording of "Angel Of The Morning" along with the hit cover versions released by Merrilee Rush & The Turnabouts and by Juice Newton. They are all strong renditions and worth a listen, but it was the Merrilee Rush version that was big when I was a teenager and the one that remains near and dear.

    Thanks for sharing the story of how your dad sang "Doggie In The Window" to you when you were little and how you returned the favor later when he was ailing. Bless you both! I was just telling Cathy K in my reply to her comment on my blog today that The Paris Sisters style on their early 60s recordings harks back to the sound of traditional pop singers of the early to mid 50s like Patti Page. "Doggie In The Window" is a great pick for this prompt.

    You might also remember my post a while back in which I introduced the hit cover version of "Stand By Me" waxed by R&B singer Spyder Turner in 1967. I too am touched to learn that your brother is standing by you and that he surprised his sis with flowers. If he is the same one who comments regularly on your posts, I want him to know that I appreciate his depth of knowledge and value his input, as I am sure you do.

    Here are my picks:

    ANGEL SONG: "Look Homeward Angel," a wonderful ballad by The Monarchs, a 9-man doo-wop vocal group from Louisville, KY. Released in 1964, "Look Homeward Angel" peaked at a disappointing #47 on the Billboard chart, but today is regarded as a cherished gem of the genre.

    DOG SONG: "Walking The Dog" by funky R&B great Rufus Thomas (and a fine cover version waxed by Johnny Rivers live at the Whisky). The Rufus original reached the top 10 pop and top 5 on the R&B chart in late November and December 1963, the days and weeks immediately following the assassination of JFK.

    STAND SONG: "Stand In For Love" by The O'Jays, one of their great recordings made before they became major stars. In the fall of 1966, "Stand In" made a run at the top 10 on the R&B chart while halting at a meager #95 on the pop chart, a far cry from the group's big crossover hits of the 70s.

    If you were able to put this one together, then I'm predicting that I will see you tamale "At The Movies." Have a good evening, dear friend BB, and I'll be back then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your choices are the same ones that popped into my mind, but I remember Angel Of the Morning sung by Merrilee Rush in 1968. I loved that song and listened to it over and over. I know how hard it is to deal with the loss of a job, but I can only imagine what it's like to lose a job after having it so many years. You have my love and sympathy.

    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope hubby continues to do well. After my stone was removed, the doctor joked that is was so big the OR staff posed for a picture with it. Well, it had shut down my kidney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Oh, Blue Moon, Stand by Your Man, and HMITDITWindow.

      Delete
  4. Hey, you've had a lot going on - no worries.
    Blanking on any songs though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jimi Hendrix issued an underrated song called "Angel" and it's really quite pretty for an artist otherwise known for his outrageous guitar virtuosity. For the dog song, I have to go with "Hound Dog" by Elvis Presley. There are so many versions of the song by different artists but none seem to capture Elvis' energy and style. And finally, I have to reference "Stand" by Sly and the Family Stone. This is a song every bit as relevant today as it was when it was first released in the late 60s.

    ReplyDelete