Thursday, December 1, 2022

Thursday Movie Picks-Combat Sports

 


This is an interesting challenge this week because I am so far removed from this..namely, sports and combat. Actually, I watch a lot more combat movies and documentaries than I would ever watch sports. That being said, I realized I have seen quite a few films that meet this theme. Wandering Through The Shelves chose another great theme this week so let’s get on with the show.

1. THE LONGEST YARD-1974

I really love this movie and first saw it when I was a kid and found it hilarious. This is the best version although Adam Sandler’s film is not bad, just not as good as this original that stars Burt Reynolds as a disgraced football quarterback who winds up in a Southern prison run by a corrupt warden, played by Eddie Albert. The warden decides to pit the guards up against the prisoners and puts Reynolds in charge of developing a team. He does and uses many unique ways to give it to the guards which just made me howl. I love some of the character actors in this film like Richard Kiel (Jaws from the Bond films) which makes this film more gritty but without losing the fun. There are some sad moments in the film but that's what makes it even better and how can one not love those cheerleaders.

2. SLAPSHOT-1977

This is about hockey when bashing each others' face in and not wearing any helmets was the way it was. It stars Paul Newman ( who, I had read, said this was his favourite film) as an over the hill player who loves to drink and play. He rolls his eyes when these 3 young dumbf%$×s are brought on board to play until he sees how they play which is using elbows, fists, body crushes etc...to win the game. It's hilarious and, you don't see blood spurting all over like some Godfather movie, but just fights etc all with a twinkle in their eye. I love Strother Martin as the manager of this team and how can one not love Paul Newman in 70s garb. My brother still needs to do a write up on my blog about this movie.

3. GLADIATOR-2000

Seriously, you can't get more combat sports than this. We all know how the Romans just loved watching gladiators slay each other for sport or be pitted against animals. I bet you any money that it would still make big business today. In this excellent movie, Russell Crowe is a general who leads the Roman army to victory against the Barbarians with Richard Harris, the King, calling him the son he wished he had. Evil Joquin Phoenix hears his daddy say this  offs his dad and has Crowe arrested and be put to death. He underestimates Crowe who survives and tries to make it home before the Roman's only to be too late. His wife and son dead, he is knocked out and brought to Oliver Reed ( his final role, who died before his scenes were completed) to be a slave who must become a gladiator and combat others in irder to stay alive. Crowe becomes valued and famous before coming to Rome and the coliseum. There he reunites with Joaquin and now who will truly win. This won several Oscars including best actor for Crowe. I love most of the movie except for the saccharine ending which makes me roll my eyes a bit but, overall, it's a great movie and one of my hubby's favourites. 

Which combat sports movies would you pick?

13 comments:

  1. You're right, I think Gladiator wins. There's also Rollerball - the original, not the remake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even consider Gladiator for this and now it feels like such an obvious choice. I never saw the original Longest Yard, but I remember liking the Sandler remake at the time. I don't think I've seen it since it's been in theaters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Birgit!

    Super picks!

    I agree the original Longest Yard is the better of the two films but the Adam Sandler one isn't terrible.

    Slapshot has its moments but it has one of the things that take me right out of a movie, excessive swearing. I know that in the milieu the story is set in foul language would be common and I'd have no problem with that it's just so prevalent here it's distracting. I didn't hate the film but of Paul Newman's films it's one of the ones I feel the least pull to revisit.

    Love Gladiator! Fascinating story loaded with fantastic performances anchored by Russell Crowe's compelling and intense work in the lead.

    The very first thing that popped into my mind was the James Caan version of Rollerball. Not that I loved that film but it's all about the combat. Otherwise my mind turned to boxing and two older films with favorite actors-firstly John Garfield's Body & Soul and Errol Flynn's Gentleman Jim. Love both because they explore than just what happens in the arena. Actually that brings to mind another phenomenal noirish boxing drama, The Set-Up with Robert Ryan and Audrey Totter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mention of boxing made me think of Rocky - repeated ad infinitum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Birgit, I've only seen Gladiator, in fact lost count of the times I have, fab film, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Longest Yard was the ending of The Offer. That's what this made me think of. The making of The Godfather series on Paramount +, The Offer, ends with Ruddy (I think that's his name) finishing the one movie to go and start making The Longest Yard. A very different kind of movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gladiator is a great choice. Like Alex, Rollerball (original not the remake) was the first thing that came into my head. The next one that I thought of was Mad Max Under the Thunderdome. The combative sport in that one was kind of unique.


    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  8. The day I met Mary's parents for the first time, they had gone to the movies, and they saw "Slap Shot." I guess they really enjoyed it.

    How about the Mad Max movies with Thunderdome ("TWO MEN ENTER! ONE MAN LEAVES!")

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen any of these. but I enjoyed reading what you wrote about all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only time I had seen ice hockey as a kid was The Mighty Ducks kids movie series and some Olympics clips and I think during the Olympics the game was probably kept clean. Basically one is usually very unfamiliar with winter sports when one lives in the tropics, so I had no idea of how violent ice hockey got. That fighting was a large part of the game until I read some fiction book that had characters playing the sport.

    ReplyDelete
  11. BIRGIT ~

    Hmmm.... When I think "Combat Sports", I'm automatically thinking about boxing, wrestling, and I guess MMA (if there are any atrocious movies about that atrocious sport out there somewhere.)

    I don't really think of football as a combat sport, even though it IS a sport and even though there ARE small combative interactions within the overall scope of a single play.

    In that case, technically, baseball could also be considered a combat sport. Ever seen a collision at home plate or second base? And in a sense, every pitcher versus batter conflict is combative. And how about when a pitcher decides to brush back or plunk a hitter?

    Anyway... if football counts, then the original 'THE LONGEST YARD' is a fantabulous choice. I love, Love, LOVE it! I own it, and my Brother and I quote from it on a regular basis:
    "Yeah. For me it was."
    "For the money."


    My #1 choice would be the original 'ROCKY' from 1976. That's easily one of my Top 25 favorite movies of all time. For decades it was even in my Top 10. Great, great story with great, great characters! The most heartwarming and inspiring sports movie I can think of. Obviously, I own it. (Every single one of the sequels is total garbage, and that bonehead, Stallone, NEVER should have dirtied the original movie by revisiting it with 364 sequels and prequels. What a dope! But then he just wasn't capable of doing anything other than Rocky material.)

    Another one that comes to mind is 'WIN WIN', a 2011 movie about a high school wrestler. I came into it expecting little to nothing, and its quality greatly surprised me. As a former varsity high school wrestler myself, I give it two thumbs up. (Yeah, I have TWO THUMBS, and I'm putting the both of 'em up!!)

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this wonderful post, I want to use this opportunity to share about My life how I strunggled with Hiv/Aids Disease before the Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases, HIV, Herpes, Neuromuscular Diseases , Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, ..www.drituaherbalcenter.com .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete