Thursday, June 13, 2024

What Should Have Won The Oscar 1965

 


I am actually choosing what should have won for best song and it is for a song that was not even nominated. So here are 3 songs and even though I like the won that won, I think my choice should have won yet it wasn’t even nominated.

1. THUNDERBALL SUNG BY TOM JONES


This is the song, I think, should have won the Oscar but it wasn’t even nominated which is a crime. Tom Jones sang this so well that, in fact, he almost fainted when he hit the final note. 

2. THE SHADOW OF YOUR  SMILE SUNG BY ASTRUD GILBERTO


This song, from the film, “The Sandpiper”, won the Oscar and I do like it but I don’t think it should have won. Actually I would have chosen “The Legend of Cat Ballou” over this because it s a great song that was nominated, 

3. I WILL WAIT FOR YOU SUNG BY DANIELLE LECART


I hope I got the song…Catherine Deneuve  stars in this film but did not sing it. Danielle LeCart was the actual singer for this famous song. You may not have seen this French film but, I bet, you know the song.

One last song that was also nominated that year and, sung by Tom Jones


Why did I include this last song? Well, meet our newest member of the family…



Meet Lexi...she is 8 weeks old and we found her from my best friend's collegue. His family have a cat that they were going to take in to get spayed but missed the time line resulting in pussy cat getting pregnant and having 6 kittens. We got a cute little girl and named her after their 11 yr old daughter who cared for the kittens. She is a handful but she is so cute.



10 comments:

  1. Lexi is adorable.
    Surprised Thunderball wasn't nominated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute kitty! I love Astrud Gilberto's version of "The Shadow Of Your Smile."

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet little kitty! ♥ I agree about Thunderball being better than the others, although they too were good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are all amazing songs. Sure takes me back to hear them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BIRGIT ~

    I'm much more of a dog(G) guy than a cat guy, but I gotta admit your new pussycat is a cutie!

    My Ma liked Tom Jones. (Well, what woman didn't?)
    BUT(!)... she loved Astrud Gilberto's 'The Shadow Of Your Smile'. I love it too, and not only because it always makes me think of my Ma. I can't get through it without becoming a bit misty-eyed. And, I'm afraid that this is one of the rare times when I agree with the Academy. It's a deep, deep, emotional song. And Astrud is one of my three all-time favorite female singers. (The other two are Karen & Mahalia. Maria Muldaur would probably come in 4th.)

    ~ D-FensDog(G)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Birgit!

    The kitten is adorable! They can be a handful when they are that young but so lovable.

    Thunderball is an okay song but I wouldn't have chosen it over "The Shadow of Your Smile" which I love in all its versions, though I have a real affinity for Barbra Streisand's recording.

    I adore everything about "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" especially Catherine Deneuve. A very special film.

    What's New Pussycat? is a fun, breezy song but as delightfully whimsical as it is it's not Oscar winner level great.

    About the other two songs that were nominated that year.

    The Ballad of Cat Ballou is wonderfully intricate and clever without seeming so and the spirited pairing of Stubby Kaye and Nat King Cole brings out the best in the lyrics.

    I'm also a big fan of The Sweetheart Tree (and LOVE the film it's from-The Great Race). Mancini's lyrics and music are lush and swooningly romantic. I don't know if it was deserving of the win but it is a superior tune.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh sweet baby kitty. I did not know that about Tom Jones. And you're right he did a fantastic job on that song. Enjoy your new family member. Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. How's Lexi and Harley doing? Hope today is a pain free day.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lexi is a cutie! What does Harley think of his little sister? I bet he doesn't quite know what to make of her. lol I love Tom Jones' voice! "The Shadow of Your Smile" is a pretty song. It sounds familiar so I'm sure this isn't the first time for me to hear it. I didn't know the French song, though.

    ReplyDelete