Monday, February 8, 2016

My Favourite Alan Rickman films



I have been wanting to write this for a while and since I have been to crippled to make a card or 3 this past weekend (which has bummed me out) I have decided to commemorate one of my favourite actors-Alan Rickman. Most people recall first seeing him from Die Hard but I remember him from Sense and Sensibility. When most gals were going hubba hubba for the pasty Hugh Grant or Greg Wise but I was all over Alan Rickman. I loved his voice and his intelligence just shone through everything he did. I almost went up and licked the screen but thought better of it considering I might get the plague and/ or be dragged off by the cops. I have decided to list my top 10 favourite films of his and they are placed in the order that I feel I like...for right now but this could change at any time. One movie that he was in but I can't stand that crappy piece of doggie do-do is Robin Hood with Kevin Costner. The only redeeming thing in that film was Rickman. Anyway, here is my top 10...

10. QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER-1990

This is an under-rated western which I saw in the theatre and thought it was quite good. It stars Tom Selleck, of Magnum PI fame, as a cowboy who knows how to shoot and is hired by a man from Australia to help him rid of some pests.  He ventures to the Outback only to find out the man who hired him, played by Rickman, wants him to shoot the Aborigine's. This, obviously, does not sit well with the Selleck character and so the film goes on from there. Rickman was at his evil best.

9. RASPUTIN-THE DARK SERVANT OF DESTINY-1996

This was actually on HBO and I saw this years later on TV and was spellbound by his performance. He captured the Mad Monk perfectly and showcased how much Rasputin orchestrated himself into the Russian Royal family. It was an acting tour de force.

8. BLOWDRY-2001

I stumbled across this fun comedy with some serious overtones centering on the nutty antics of hair stylists. He plays a hairstylist who ends up in this contest who can create the most original hair style-totally off the wall and it co-stars Bill Nighy whom I also love.

7. DOGMA-1999

Oh...this is not for everyone but I love this film! It stars Matt Damon and Ben Affleck as 2 angels who were thrown out of heaven and sent to Wisconsin to live out eternity. A small loophole made by a daffy bishop played by the late great George Carlin, may bring these 2 angels back to heaven but that would mean the end of the human race. One woman can save humanity and Alan Rickman plays a metatron who helps her out, so does a black angel, a muse and Ray and Silent Bob.

6. DIE HARD-1988

 I think most of us have seen this film at some point in our lives or at least Bruce Willis jumping off the tower shirtless. Bruce plays an off duty cop who realizes his estranged wife and a group of her fellow co-workers are being held hostage by a devlish man played by..yup Alan Rickman. Alan Rickman was so great being menacing.

5. LOVE, ACTUALLY-2003

This is a story about love in all forms whether it be love found, love being new, lust, love lost, you name it and all the characters are interwoven. It is a great piece of filming and Alan Rickman plays one of the many people who has love in his life. He is "happily" married but screws it up. Emma Thompson plays his wife and the scene when she gets her Christmas gift is powerful with her stellar acting.

4. GALAXY QUEST-1999

Oh-I think this is a hoot! and it is a priceless take on the Star Trek series and fans. Tim Allen and his co-horts are all actors from a famous TV show that took place 30 years before. They now are showing up at these fan expos and most of the actors are disillusioned. When they are taken to an actual ship by aliens who believe they truly are  what they portray on TV, hilarity ensues. Alan Rickman plays the actor who was an alien on the TV show. Throughout the entire film he wears his head piece...even when he is at home. If you need to have a luagh-watch this movie.

3. HARRY POTTER SERIES-2001-2011

I am just picking the whole series because I can't choose one over the other and Snape plays a big part throughout the film. Alan Rickman left you guessing whether he was evil or good but you still liked him. This is strange since he was very menacing throughout and you know he never cared for Harry Potter but yet he did. Difficult job to do and he did it well.

2. SENSE AND SENSIBILITY-1995

I fell into lust with this man when I saw this movie. To me, he was the one I would pick if I lived during that time. This is quite a good film and his portrayal of the love struck older gentleman wishing for his love, played by Kate Winslet, to love him back. You really felt deeply for his character.

1. TRULY, MADLY, DEEPLY-1991

This is an off-beat comedy-drama with true heart and soul and I just loved it. A woman loses the love of her life, played by Alan Rickman. She goes about her day wishing he was back with her as she mourns the loss of her great love. One day, he is back and is sitting on the couch. She is overjoyed by having him return. she knows, and so does he, that he is dead but they are together. Unfortunately, he is always cold so the heat is often on a bit too high. Soon he asks her if some of his friends can come by and she soon has more dead people to contend with. Is this holding her back? Should her love still be with her? It is a different take on love and it is my favourite.

So that is my list. Which ones have you seen?

44 comments:

  1. What about Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. It wasn't a good movie but Rickman was the best part of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mentioned that in my spiel:) I just couldn't put it up because I can't stand that movie

      Delete
  2. Surprisingly I've seen quite a few. I had forgotten he was in Galaxy Quest until we caught it on TV a few weeks before; that was such a funny movie. Also saw Quigley Down Under, Down Hard from 1988, and a few of the Harry Potter movies. He was a great actor; I'm sure he'll be missed!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen:
    Die Hard - Good, but over-hyped.
    Dogma - I didn't like it.
    Quigley Down Under - I saw this for Laura San Giacomo. I'd rank it between the above two.

    I might have to check out Sense and Sensibility. Kate Winslet, and I know I'll never read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Die Hard is over-hyped but he was a good villain. Sense & Sensibility is a good movie

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear you're not feeling well, Birgit. Hope you're on the mend?

    I've seen HP, of course, but I loved Rickman in Love Actually the most - even though he was a scoundrel. It's been so long since I've seen Die Hard that I can't remember much about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am worse today and feeling too much pain. I wonder what you would think of Dogma or Rasputin actually!

      Delete
  5. I first came across him in Truly, Madly, Deeply. The last thing I saw him in was a TV short play with Emma Thompson, can't remember his name. They were an ex-couple - she'd obviously moved on and done well, he hadn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see that TV show-they were quite a good team

      Delete
  6. He was just wonderful wasn't he Birgit....his voice was amazing and that look that he had....I love all his films but admit I haven't watched Truely madly deeply as there just aren't enough to tissues in the world!.....xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That movie is so good and more than just a typical romance.

      Delete
  7. I've seen most of them. First saw him in Die Hard, but his role in Galaxy Quest was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was so great in Galaxy Quest-It is one of my favourite comedies

      Delete
  8. A Little Chaos was just on HBO the other day. I DVR'd it but haven't watched it yet. I love Rickman. My favorites are definitely Dogman, HP series, and I really enjoyed his turn in Sweeney Todd as well. I need to see Sense and Sensibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen A Little Chaos or Sweeney Todd which is on my huge list.

      Delete
  9. Best Die Hard villain of them all. I've seen most on your list. Another I found fun of his was The Search for John Gissing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen that movie either-there are some I have missed

      Delete
  10. I first remember him in the first one you mention, Quigley Down Under. Now I want to watch all his films I missed! Especially that last one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You NAILED it about Robin Hood. The ONLY good thing about that piece of crap WAS Rickman.
    The guy played a GREAT villain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree about that stupid movie. I love the Errol Flynn version, the one with Uma Thurman as Maid Marion and the Russell Crowe version

      Delete
  12. I've not seen most of them, but Truly, Madly, Deeply has me intrigued. Never even heard of that one... hmmm. I'll keep an eye out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good and there is so much to that sleeper film

      Delete
  13. You NAILED it about Robin Hood. The ONLY good thing about that piece of crap WAS Rickman.
    The guy played a GREAT villain.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "The only redeeming thing in [Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves] was Rickman." Yep. I didn't even like the way they wrote his character, but his performance of what he was given was stellar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't stand that movie and still can't. Rickman was the saving grace of that crappy piece of crap

      Delete
  15. Galaxy Quest is unique, one of a kind. Rickman delivers with panache as only he can do. By the looks of it I have a lot of catching up to do. "You broke the bl**dy ship" is a real classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaaa-I just love that movie because it was so great how they did a send up of Star Trek. I just love it that he kept his head piece on throughout as it got worse and worse:)

      Delete
  16. I'd best list what I haven't seen: Rasputin, Blowdry... Um, that's it. Quigley Down Under is one of my favorites. Truly, Madly, Deeply I only saw the once. Maybe twice. Can't sit through it again. Not because it was bad, but just because...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rasputin and Blowdry are both great and so far opposites in character

      Delete
  17. I've seen 8, 6, 5, 3, and 2. I loved him in Sense and Sensibility. Thank Heavens Kate Winslet's character came to her senses. I adore Love, Actually, but most of all, he will also be Snape to me.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry. I meant "always be Snape to me."

      Delete
    2. When I read the book I hear his voice as Snape. No one else could have played him

      Delete
  18. Blowdry!!! Bless you for bringing this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love him in Bottle Shock. He was awesome.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  20. By the way, do you have a Follow By Email widget on your blog? I can't find it if you do. It makes it easier to keep up with my blog buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice post. I didn't think Robin Hood was all that bad. Lol. Now I have to see Rasputin!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd pick #10 & #2. He was also extremely good in Something the Lord Made. Haven't seen the other movies you mentioned. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  23. I never saw that version of Sense and Sensibility. I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved Rickman! He was the best villain ever! A very sexy villain, I might add.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I began paying attention to Alan Rickman with the Harry Potter movies. The Husband likes to tease my crush on him by imitating his voice, which he does quite well. I forgot that Rickman was in Dogma, which I enjoyed a lot. I must see Blowdry! and your #1 pick.

    ReplyDelete
  26. He will be sorely missed. I remember him more for Truly Madly than the Harry Potter series.
    x Asha

    ReplyDelete