Tuesday, April 11, 2017

A to Z Challenge-Letter I


The second week and here we all are and we are now into the letter I. Head on over to the A to Z to check out everyone else and see what they are blogging about.  Here is my movie...

IVANHOE-1952


DIRECTOR: Richard Thorpe
STARS: Robert Taylor, Joan Fontaine, Elizabeth Taylor, George Sanders
OSCAR NOMS: Best Picture, Best Cinematography, Best Score
OSCAR WINS: Nil
PLOT: Ivanhoe is a noble Knight who fights Prince John from being King. The poor knight is loved by 2 women, is captured but is helped out by Robin Hood and his Merry men in tights.
LOVE: The Jousting scene!
TRIVIA: Robert Taylor (no relation to Elizabeth Taylor as his real name is Spangler Arlington Brough!), being a typical man, had a certain part of his anatomy rise to the occasion every time Liz Taylor bent over to care for him during a scene. They had to film this part in close up...on his face sillies! Remember It's not called Ivan and his Hoes

IRENE HOWARD-June 17, 1903-December ?, 1981


OCCUPATION: Casting Director
OSCAR NOMS: Nil
OSCAR WINS: Nil
ANECDOTE: She is the sister of the famous actor, Leslie Howard (Gone With The Wind fame). Casting directors were actually mostly women since they were the poor gals who had to go in search of actors/actresses...animals for a certain part and then screen them to see if they would be good for the part. If anyone knows what day she died, that would be great. I looked in my books plus the internet but no luck.


26 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    Amazing coincidence! My real name is Spangler Arlington Brough! :)

    I haven't seen Ivanhoe, but I have seen Liz Taylor's face and ample bosom, and I can understand why Robert Taylor experienced a wardrobe malfunction of sorts every time the lovely lady leaned over him. I always liked George Sanders and the unsavory, villainous characters he typically portrayed.

    Happy Tuesday, dear friend BB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol sometimes that part can't be stopped and just has a mind of its own, wanting to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth Taylor probably had special riders in her contracts specifically covering events such as this. Her male co-stars had to wear special costumes and what-not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very funnt bit of trivia today. Really funny that someone recorded that information for posterity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen Ivanhoe but it was years ago. I recall a colorful spectacle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha! Love your sense of humour, Birgit. ☺ That's some odd name Robert Taylor had - no wonder he changed it. I read the book in elementary school and am sure I saw this movie too, but don't remember any details. Thanks for the refresher course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So Irene Howard is the aunt of Ronald Howard, who played Sherlock Holmes in the ancient TV series I watch on Sunday nights. Interesting...

    I don't blame Robert Taylor. Elizabeth Taylor was one of the world's most beautiful women. She was about 19 or 20 when this movie was made (I know that because Liz is about a month older than Mom would have been).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Robert Taylor is probably far from being the only one who ever encountered such a problem in his scenes with Ms. Taylor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always find it funny that Prince John is so hated in the Robin Hood stories. He did become king and his heirs continue to sit on the throne. He was a bit of a controversial king even many centuries after the fact

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elizabeth was my favorite actress when I was a youngster. Yet, I have never seen this movie from beginning to end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't remember if I saw the film or not. Long time ago. Once again, I love the book and have read it several times. Thinking about it, yes I did see it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't seen this film. I've never been a real Liz Taylor fan but have seen a few of her films that I liked.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now I must go find out if Robert Taylor is British or from the East Coast. The names parents foist on their babies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A classic I have missed both on film and the book

    ReplyDelete
  16. Elizabeth Taylor is a goddess.
    Must watch this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How many years since the last time I saw Ivanhoe!
    -----
    Eva - Mail Adventures


    ReplyDelete
  18. Birgit, you cracked me up with that bit of trivia. lol Thanks for the smiles and yesterday's visit for the letter "I"!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think I'll add Ivanhoe on my watchlist. P.S. I just realised how dirty that name is. Or maybe I just have a dirty mind.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never seen this one, either, but I've heard of Liz Taylor. Got a kick out of the trivia, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL! Goodness, that must have been embarassing.
    I've watched Ivanhoe a long time ago, but I remember liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Poor Spangler just couldn't control that part but it is Liz Taylor after all and men are men. I hope everyone gets to see this film one day

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think I've seen this. Ivanhoe was one of the first big major books I read when I was a kid and I loved it then.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out: It's About Time

    ReplyDelete