Thursday, January 10, 2019

Thursday Movie Picks-The Cold


This week was actually my suggestion so thanks for using this, Wandering Through The Shelves. Actually, it has not been that cold at all here in my neck of the woods and our temperatures go from a high of 8C down to -3 in the  evening. We have had no snow which sucks as I love snow except in March...then the snow can leave:). Anyway, here are my choices for the cold...

1. JEREMIAH JOHNSON-1972


I love westerns and this is a more modern style compared to the great westerns made by John Wayne, James Stewart etc... This stars Robert Redford as a soldier from the civil war who is done with civilization and just wants to be on his own. He knows nothing of the land but is taught by a rugged mountain man and friendly Native Americans and soon becomes an expert at living on his own until he somehow finds a family in an orphaned boy and a young Native girl. The scenery is beautiful and much of it takes place in the winter when many people on the crew of this film had a tough time of it but Redford enjoyed it immensely. A gripping film with great cinematography and some very touching moments and humorous ones as well. I miss the deep snow...just saying

2. THE ICE STORM-1997


This film concerns 2 families-neighbours, and their children. Kevin Kline plays the husband of one who is having an affair with the neighbour's wife. The children of both also have a messed up life to say the least and all the dysfunction seems to culminate during an ice storm. It's a film that was much hyped in its day and I was so looking forward to it only to feel somewhat disappointed but I would like to revisit it and see if I see it through better eyes as it were. I can say I have experienced ice storms and that is not a fun experience to say the least.

3. WIND RIVER-2017


Hold the presses...I picked a new movie! I wanted to see this film and we rented it last year...yes, rented as I am still of the old school. It stars Jeremy Renner as a Fish and Wildlife agent who comes across the body of a Native American girl in the wilderness. A new FBI agent comes to town to solver the case and hires the Wildlife agent to help her track who may have killed her. It is not only a great thriller but  gives you food for thought since there have been many unsolved cases of Native American women in the U.S. and Canada that have been killed or disappeared and nothing has been done about it. The acting is sombre but you are feeling the tension and the ending feels right.

Bonus...

4. DR. ZHIVAGO-1965


I chose this film before but I am choosing it again since it was my mom's favourite film and she died almost a year ago on January 15th. This stars Omar Sharif as the legendary doctor who marries a wealthy girl in pre revolutionary  Russia. When the First World War breaks out, he is called to duty and meets up again with Lara, who is helping as a nurse, and falls in love with her. When they go back to their respective lives all has changed because of the Russian revolution.  His father in law has lost everything to "the people" and they are closely watched so they travel to the countryside and the doctor meets up again with Lara where they can no longer deny their love. It is an epic tale of love, war, loss and the horribleness of communism set against the cold but romantic view of winter. My mom could relate so well to this film because of  what she went through during the war and after when the Russians marched in and took her grandfather's farm. Interestingly, it was her brother's favourite film as well.

What are your 3?

49 comments:

  1. Oh Dr. Zhivago. That is a great film. And who doesn't love Robert Redford? I don't' know the other 2 though. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Zhivago is a great film. The other 2 are newer films

      Delete
  2. Wind River! Excellent choice. That was a really good movie.
    My pick would be John Carpenter's The Thing. Now that's cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Thing...icky..hahahaaa the heading dripping off the table still gives me the Icks

      Delete
  3. We matched twice this week with Wind River and The Ice Storm! Both great films. I haven't seen Ice Storm in a few years, I could do with a watch again as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a wow factor....I like both..love Wind River and need to see the Ice Storm

      Delete
  4. I've heard of the first and last ones, but never saw any of them. Sound like I would enjoy the last two, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of Wind River.
    Never saw Dr. Zhivago - not just why.
    Vaguely remember Ice Storm.
    Had a free pass to preview Jeremiah Johnson and walked out after about 15 minutes. Boring.....
    Maybe I just really hate the cold, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my.....you walked out of Jeremiah?? For shame:)

      Delete
  6. Not doing well this week Birgit...I have only seen 1 and that is Dr Zhivago....which I loved....I am busy catching up on lots of Christmas films this week..yes I am a bit late but some good ones on over the holidays.....no snow here either ...hope you are feeling much better now will be thinking of you on the 15th..sending a hug xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing Christmas movies now...why not! So many are great and bei;g sick made me sit and watch many of them this time

      Delete
  7. Hi Birgit - I'd like to see Wind River sometime ... but Dr Zhivago was just wonderful ... the rest I haven't seen. Our temperatures are a little like yours - and I'm happy that way - though suspect colder weather will come ... cheers and Happy New Year - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wind River is an excellent film. It 8a now cold here but still no snow

      Delete
  8. Hello Birgit, hope you had a super Festive Time and the New Year is a good one for you.
    Jeremiah Johnston, I seen and loved,,and of course Dr. Zhivago is such a classic, wonderfully photographed and the lovely Omar Sharif, it had every a good film should have, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great film Dr. Zhivago is and love so many scenes

      Delete
  9. Birgit,

    It seems I saw Dr. Zvahgo when I was younger but I can't swear to it. Wind River we saw on Netflix several months ago. We enjoyed it. Your first two features we haven't seen. I'm not sure if they are films we'd like but I think I'd be interesting in seeing The Ice Storm. It has a lot of stars in it! We saw "Transsiberain" with Woody Harroldson a few weeks ago which is worth seeing on Netflix and another movie we saw not too long ago was 'Dead of Winter' again after many years. I can't think of a third pick that we've viewed in recently but there are more that we've seen over the years. Thanks for the introduction of the two unknown movie titles. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you saw Dr. Zhivago even if it was years ago. I’d like to see Transsiberian and forgot about that film so I have it marked down. I think I saw Dead of Winter but I need to look it up.

      Delete
  10. I remember Jeremiah Johnston and Dr. Zhivago, but not the others. Cold weather is not my favourite since I freeze so easily, but when it comes to films with winter settings, how about Moonstruck? I love that one! ☺ Or, Cool Runnings? Hilarious! I hope you're feeling much better these days. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feel8ng better, thank you:) I forgot about Moonstruck and I have never seen Cool Runnings...just bits and pieces but want to see it.

      Delete
  11. Dr. Zhivago was THE film of its day, wasn't it?
    Hope your day is pain free and filled with energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was THE film. I’m never pain free but I have energy and time to take the decorations down

      Delete
  12. Dr Zhivago is wonderful. I’ve seen The Ice Storm too but haven’t even heard of the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you saw 2 of the films and I would say I think you would like Wind River

      Delete
  13. Still haven't watched Wind River. Have to give it a go. You can have our snow, even though we haven't had much lately, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Need to watch that movie:) it is cold now and I do wish for snow....sorry:)

      Delete
  14. Until I read your synopsis, I realized I haven't seen Jeremiah Johnson. I must, I must. I also want to see the one with Jeremy Renner, sounds interesting. The one "cold" movie that came to my mind was Cold Mountain, which made me be a fan of Jude Law and Rene Zweilsomething-something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cold Mountain is an excellent film and I wish I would have thought of it. I think you would like both movies

      Delete
  15. Happy New Year Birgit, DR. ZHIVAGO-1965 is my moms choice too - must be the era and the dudes charm. The Thing had me on tender hooks first time I saw it - i'll never forget it and the others I'll have to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For my mom it was her experience during and after WW2. The original The Thing I like although many do not. The remake with Kurt Russell creeped me out

      Delete
  16. Mystery, Alaska (also a good pick for last week's theme), The Grey, those would be my choices. Empire Strikes Back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Mystery Alaska and would love to see it again. Empire is an excellent choice but I don’t like the movie The Grey at all A’s it just depicted the wolves as evil beings

      Delete
  17. Oh wow. I haven't seen any of these. Sorry your winter's not up to snuff. Maybe you'll get some snow soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it would look more like a winter wonderland but no one has control of the weather.

      Delete
  18. Jeremiah Johnson was okay but I'll never be as fond of revisionist Westerns like this as I am of the traditional Wayne/Stewart brand.

    I was pleasantly surprised by Wind River. I could have done without some of the more grisly aspects but it was very involving.

    There are parts of Dr. Zhivago that are breathtakingly beautiful, the ice palace, Julie Christie etc., and parts that are moving but as a whole it didn't hold together for me.

    I usually love Ang Lee's work and the entirety of the cast of the film but I hate HATED The Ice Storm!!! One of the most disappointing theatre experiences I've had.

    I hate the cold, I've been lucky until this week with mild weather but now the temps have taken a big plunge, but at least watching it on the screen doesn't usually make me chilly. At least these three didn't.

    The Call of the Wild (1935)-Using the Jack London story of a man, his dog and a lot of snow as its loose template this is a rather revised version of Jack Thornton (Clark Gable) his part wolf sled dog Buck, and his partner Shorty Hoolihan (Jack Oakie) as they brave the elements in their quest for fortune, adventure and at least for Thornton romance along the way in the guise of Claire (Loretta Young). Gable and Young had an affair during the making of the film which resulted in a daughter who Young (after vanishing to Europe for a year) passed off as her “adopted” child for the rest of her life.

    Mrs. Mike (1949)-Young Boston born Kathy O'Fallon (Evelyn Keyes) meets Canadian Mountie Mike Flannigan (Dick Powell) while visiting her uncle in Alberta, Canada. Falling for him and marrying quickly they head to his new posting in the Yukon where they face many hardships along with the biting cold as Kathy struggles to adjust. Based on Kathy’s memoirs of life in the Great White North.

    The Thing from Another World (1951)-Scientists at an Arctic research station discover a spacecraft buried in the ice. Upon closer examination, they discover the frozen pilot. All hell breaks loose when they take him back to their station and he is accidentally thawed out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I want to re-watch The Ice Storm to see if I think of it in a better light. I seem to think I like a bit better than you but I also thought it was like In The Bedroom which I hate. I know all bout the back story of Call of the Wild and Loretta Young is one I would have loved to see be kicked in the ass. I haven’t seen your second pick at all but I have seen the last one more than once...poor James Arness as the big carrot:)

      Delete
  19. If you're going to pick one to rent, Wind River is an awesome choice. I really enjoyed that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really enjoyed Jeremiah Johnson. Robert Redford did an awesome job.
    YOU have a fun, pain free weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like that film even though I love John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart westerns better. My weekend is good...not pain free but good. I hope you also have a great weekend

      Delete
  21. Great sounding movies. I think I saw Dr.Zhivago long ago. Thanks for the great descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the scene where Redford’s beard is shaved in Jeremiah Johnson. I saw it in junior high. Who could forget the car keys scene in Ice Storm? I hope I’m describing the right movies. Surprisingly, Dr. Zhivago is the only film on your list that I haven’t seen in its entirety. I’ll have to see this classic in the near future. I’m sorry that you lost your mom last year. I know she had a difficult life, but it didn’t stop her from being a wonderful mom and I know how close you were. I’m sure that I’m remembering that correctly.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been so cold of late I don't think I need to watch any cold movies. You offered some good choices. I guess I can come up with a few more though:

    Snowpiercer--a never ending train trip through a frozen world of the future. Weird movie.

    The Thing--it looked very cold where they were, but since it was at one of the poles I guess it was really cold.

    The Goldrush--Charlie Chaplin brings levity to the topic of cold.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cold Prey, which is awesome. Even the sequel is awesome.

    While You Were Sleeping is a cute comedy that takes place in the winter. The weather is kind of a character, in a way.

    I was going to say The Thing, but Arlee beat me to it, so I'll go with The Shining.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Frozen River; The Revenant; and The Shipping News. Brrrr!

    ReplyDelete