Thursday, January 24, 2019

Thursday Movie Picks- Long Titles..er..2018 Releases..er...OOPS! ...yeah confused yet? :)


So...I made a big boo boo because this week, at Wandering Through The Shelves, is actually films with long titles which I discussed last week when, actually, last week was about 2018 releases. In fact, since I was horrible last year seeing only one movie, I actually rented 3 films so I could discuss them here. Yeah...major brain fart and just skipped ahead like a hippie dippy gal holding a tambourine. I will be curious to see which  long titled films will be chosen. I, on the other hand, will talk about 2018 movies...and I saw 3 new ones so here we go....

1. MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 67...NOOOOO...I MEAN 6-FALLOUT


Tom Cruise will be in a wheelchair holding on to a moon rocket while we see his false teeth fly out but I digress. This was another fun entry in this franchise even though it stars...Tom Cruise. He is a true adrenaline junkie and does many of his own stunts. Of course, a nutbar (not Cruise, this is the plot) with tons of money is ready to destroy the world and Cruise and his small team must save the day. I always love seeing Simon Pegg and even Ving Rhames but the gals were on board as well and have a strong showing. If you want to escape and turn your brain off, this is a good film to see.

2.  AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR


I truly thought I would get confused by all the superheroes here or that I would be lost because I still have to see Black Panther (don’t judge me). But I was pleasantly surprised and was fully engaged in all the characters even my fav, Rocky Raccoon..ok its not Rocky but it is a foul-mouthed Raccoon..be still my heart. So it starts off that evil god Thanos, with a major chin issue, wants to rule the world and to do this, he must have all 6 stones and he goes about collecting all of them. I thought the seriousness of the film didn’t quite gel with the humour ...or is that the other way around? Anyhoo, oveRall, it is quite good and you know part 2 is all about time travel or something like that otherwise we only get to watch Thanos look at a sunset dreaming about Kirk Douglas’s chin.

3. BLACKKKLANSMAN


This is the best of the 3 that I rented and I wasn’t sure I was going to like it as much as I did but it is gripping.  It is actually based on a true story where an African American police  detective, the first, in that city, wonders if he can infiltrate the KKK. He does and it’s amazing how he and his fellow detectives go about bringing a part of this disgusting vile faction down. I love the cinematography especially when actors are talking and their faces are brought to the foreground. I was struck by how powerful that was. Spike Lee did a great directing job and the ending showing the maniac going through the crowd killing and injuring people just shows how rife the prejudice still is. Those right wing extremists need to no longer be given any ability to have a voice. I have always thought the KKK are pure evil and I still do.

So those are my 3 from last week and last week is

50 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    I am not a huge fan of the action genre, but I appreciated the way Cruise explained how the latest installment of MI was made. His selling points, which included actual dangerous stunt work in the film rather than green screen FX, made me want to see it in the IMAX theater.

    Your review has me eager to see Avengers: IW. Shucks, I'd even watch a musical if one of the characters were a foul-mouthed raccoon. :)

    Based on the trailer alone, Blackkklansman is an absolute hoot - definitely my kind of movie. I never even heard of it. Thanks for letting me know it's out there.

    Enjoy the rest of your week and weekend, dear friend BB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi my dear Shady...I know you will like Blackkklansman which is an excellent film and you will love the phone call nearbthe ending of the film.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen the last one. Definitely Avengers at the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avengers is excellent and very well done keeping all those surperheroes in mind. The scriptwriters deserve some accolades

      Delete
  3. I rarely go to the movie theatre to see movies anymore, consequently I have seen none of these, so thanks for the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of you rent them, I think you would like the last pick

      Delete
  4. I didn't watch MI6 but I loved your last two picks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brigit, I have to say I've not seen any of these films, not my kind as a general rule. We did go to see The Favourite yesterday, a new release about Queen Anne, costume drama and historic, I liked it hubby didn't, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d love to see that film and head great things about it.

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen that many new movies either, including the ones you are showcasing, here. Not a fan of Tom Cruise's personality, but he is a good actor, IMO. Not ageing too badly either, but I love your humorous comments! ☺ Two that I did see were Black Panther and Aquaman. Liked the former, LOVED the latter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have not seen any of these and don't know if I will other than the Tom Cruise film. I can't think of a movie he's made that I didn't like and the "MI" franchise never fails to entertain.

    For 2018 films I've only seen a few:

    Ready Player One I actually had to shut off now and then as it was making me nauseous. It was okay in some respects.

    Wrinkle in Time was a big disappointment.

    A Quiet Place took me by surprise and I liked that one to a certain extent.

    I liked I Can Only Imagine and the latest Jurassic Park movie the best of 2018 films that I saw and there weren't very many. However I did watch quite a few older films.


    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t even know your first pick. I heard the second flick was not very good. Quiet Place sounds quite good.

      Delete
  8. My personal suggestion for the title of the upcoming sequel that the studio absolutely refused to call Avengers: Infinity War Part 2 is Avengers: Nobody Really Died.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I shall join you with my triangle, ding, ding. dingaling, ling. I saw the 2018 Avengers movie, but can't remember a thing about it other than Thor's brother is a good guy. Or, am I thinking of another movie? Oh well, I'll just see it again. I'm sure the Husband would like that.

    We finally saw a Mission Impossible movie last year. I am hooked on the ridiculousness of Tom Cruise's stunts. I'll also see anything with Simon Pegg in it.

    The third movie is on my list. You have me wanting to see it more now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a very short bit but Loki is a good guy. I need to see many 2018 films now

      Delete
  10. I can see that last one winning the oscar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haven't seen the last yet, but yeah, Avengers wins the year for me. Fallout was fun and Deadpool 2 was too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't seen any of those. I'm sure I will eventually, but it has to be something to drag me into a theater, that those didn't. Although, Avengers came the closest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. When I was younger I went every week to the theatre...now I’m lucky to once per year

      Delete
  13. I saw all of those last year.

    My favorite long movie title (and one of my favorite movies) is The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I saw your pick but found it a bit boring and I love westerns

      Delete
  14. Hereditary is the only movie I remember from 2018. Aesthetically, mood-wise, it may sneak behind The Exorcist and The Omen and vibes since Rosemary's Baby and not be like any of them. Decades perhaps, I don't remember any other movies in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t seen that film and not sure I will because it sounds scary

      Delete
  15. Oh, I don't go to the theatre anymore, so I'm not up on recent movies. I'm done with that. I think the last movie I saw in a theatre was 'Slumdog Millionaire'. And, hell, that was eleven years ago.

    ~ Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaaa...I know what you mean. When I was yo7nger I went all the time but not now.

      Delete
  16. Seen all your picks. Completely agree that the last of your picks is the best. I also agree that the final credits sequence shows how rife racism still is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right and it really just smacks one in the face again.

      Delete
  17. I need to go back and rewatch last year's MI. I went to see it at the cinema in the evening on my first day back at work after maternity leave and I ended up falling asleep! I've never in my life fallen asleep in the cinema before - I must have been knackered ha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've seen the first 2 of these films and they are really good, but not the third one. Guess I need to check it out. Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The third one is so good and I was just in disbelief what this detective did..I loved it

      Delete
  19. Such dedication, renting films specially for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was pleasantly surprised when the Oscar nominations were announced: I've actually seen quite a lot of the films, more than in years!

    Black Panther is amazing, better than Avengers. The Favourite is good. I love Solo, too. Can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have to see Black Panther. I want to see The Favourite and will this weekend. I have not seen Solo but I will at some point

      Delete
  21. When I watch the Mission Impossible flicks, I'm always wondering, did he do that stunt and if so how?:)
    YOU have a great weekend, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup he did this stunts! He is a true adrenaline junkie and, I think, needs to feel in control at all times. He really did run down that skyscraper but had a lot of cables attached to him which they took out through computer tactics. He also did hang on to that plane...it was not cgi.

      Delete
  22. I love action films. I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Spike Lee movie but I haven’t seen it.
    The white supremacy groups were big here in the south. I’m sure there are still many sympathizers here which makes me sad.
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad but it is deep rooted from over 200 years ago, you need to see that movie

      Delete
  23. Birgit,

    I haven't seen the newest MI movie with Tom Cruise. I know he does a lot of his stunts. I'm afraid this will get him killed one day but who I am to say anything. He'll keep doin' them. I can't wait to see this film. I've sorta fallen away from the super hero flicks for the most part. The last movie looks interesting. I think hatred of any people is wrong and I will never get it till the day I die. Thanks for sharing your movie picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t understand either....it’s plain wrong and very sad. I can see Cruise get very injured one day where he will be in the hospital for longer than a day. The last film is fun

      Delete
  24. Star Trek gets zip at the Oscars this year but Star Wars Story is nominated. So good luck to the happy nominees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Star Trek rarely gets noted by major awards and most of these great films don’t get recognized except in the make up and special effects areas.

      Delete
  25. I didn't see too many 2018 releases last year either (I'm always a bit behind), but I did like Beast. That was probably the most memorable one. The horror movies had potential, but I never failed to be disappointed in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't think I saw any new movies in 2018! I did want to see BLACKKKLANSMAN- so I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much. It sounds amazing and the fact that it's based on a true story makes me more curious. Thanks for sharing.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete