Thursday, July 2, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks:Seven Deadly Sins-Wrath



I am writing this late and should be in bed but...I am not. So, this post I am behaving and will not be a cheeky monkey(see my last post if you are curious). We are dealing with the 7 Deadly Sins again and this one is all about Wrath which seems pretty on point given some of the angry people upset about having to wear face masks. Look, I am not much for having to wear a mask  especially since I have asthma, but I am wearing one because I believe in not getting this virus. Besides, Doctors, Dentists, Nurses and many others wear them for their own protection and protection for the people they are helping. This is called common sense... not taking my freedom away.. it's not about you personally. OK enough of me spouting off here so on with the show. Wandering Through The Shelves is the brainchild of the weekly film fest so head on over to see what everyone else has chosen. Here are my 3...

1. FURY-1936


I believe I chose this once before but, I had to choose it again because it was the first film that came into my head and I think it is a perfect example of mob mentality which is often run on anger, lack of control and intolerance. This film stars Spencer Tracy who is mistaken for a kidnapper and is almost lynched by a mob who set fire to the jail. Tracy is assumed dead and his grieving fiancee, played wondrously by Sylvia Sydney, comes to that town where the main perpetrators are on trial. No one is talking until newsreel footage shows the mob caught in the act. More evidence is sent to the courts proving that these men are guilty of Tracy's death but Sydney is not convinced the man she loves is dead. In fact, it seems his anger at what was done to him has consumed him. This is a powerful film that truly shows what a mob mentality can do believing themselves to be right but it also shows that revenge is equally repugnant. 

2. HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER-1973


Man, do I love this Clint Eastwood film that is much more than just a western. I can't tell you but the ending made me gob-smacked as the English say. I was so not expecting that and yet, it all made sense. There is a dusty, sad little town that has the typical, saloon, hotel, barber, church etc... and the townsfolk seem typical but all take notice when a stranger comes riding into town. He quickly kills off 3 no good jerks before taking this slutty lass into the barn for some monkeying around(here I go again). Afterwards, he proceeds to get a shave and a bath before the townsmen request he save their little town from a group of bad men who are coming in 3 days. He takes them up on his offer but not before they do what he says. This film brings on a new meaning to painting the town red. Eastward is always great as the western anti-hero with no name and you are left wondering why he hates this town and the people so much until the ending. Another must see.

3. FATAL ATTRACTION-1987


Oh my, my, my....boys can get themselves into a sticky wicket. In this case, we have the horny Michael Douglas who is "happily" married with a daughter. When his wife goes away for the weekend with their daughter, he ends up having a very steamy weekend with a woman he met. Talk about monkeying around on the kitchen stove, counter...against the fridge! (Monkey again?)....they had a good time.  Good ole Michael thinks it is done until the gal he cooked with, played so well by Glenn Close, starts showing up and calling. At first he feels it is nothing to worry about but she becomes more insistent to the point he becomes quite frightened (Beware of anyone saying "I will NOT be Ignored!" in an eye bulging freaky sort of way). He moves his family to their home in Connecticut  hoping the nut will go away but, think again(Hasenpfeffer, anyone?). She is now very angry, scorned with hellfire in her eyes kind of gal. This was a huge film that created a lot of discussion about men who have roving eyes and, I think, there was some brief dip in infidelity at that time because of this film and some major stories that hit the news all around these years(Remember Bobbitt? I think that happened after this film came out-a couple of years, or so, later). This was a thriller/horror movie that made me think of that film Repulsion(a great movie as well). Anyway, A good film to see

Which 3 would you choose?

33 comments:

  1. Haven't seen the first two, though maybe the Clint Eastwood, can't remember, but I did see Fatal Attraction. I never would have thought about that one, but yes, she is one crazy, angry b----. I woke up with a headache so cannot think of anything right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the last one did work and she is one crazy bitch. I was in such pain yesterday, I could hardly talk because my jaw was so sore

      Delete
  2. Hi, Birgit!

    WHAT??? You believe in wearing a mask because you don't want to catch the virus? Haven't you heard, dear friend. The virus is a HOAX! :)

    I have seen Fatal Attraction but not the first two. It was fun seeing Spencer Tracy and Walter Brennan as young men in the trailer for the 1936 film Fury. I don't like Westerns and I don't like Clint Eastwood, so there you have it. I do very much like Michael Douglas in all his films and TV series. I also like Glenn Close. Fatal Attraction made quite a splash upon its release and invited many parody scenes. Yessum, I surely do remember the saga of John Wayne Bobbitt and his wife Lorena. Now you got me playing the Bryan Adams song on repeat in my noggin: "It cuts like a knife, but it feels so right."

    Today let us remember comedy legend Carl Reiner who died a few days ago at the age of 98. One of the last pictures taken of Carl showed him wearing a Black Lives Matter T-shirt. Thank you, Mr. Reiner (and your son Rob, too), for being part of the solution.

    Enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend BB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Carl Reiner deserves so many accolades and my hubby and I just watched Ocean's 11, 12 & 13 the night before and I looked him up and told hubby that he is still acting.The next morning I heard he passed away and was shocked and saddened despite his age. Hip Hip Hooray for Olivia De Havilland turning 104! Sorry to hear you dislike Clint Eastwood and Westerns...This film is so cool. I think you would really like Fury. Yes...a hoax...hahahaaa.

      Delete
    2. + Hugh Downs has died at the age of 99. One of my favorite actresses Marsha Hunt will be 103 three months from now!

      Delete
  3. High Plains Drifter is a good one.
    Masks are also a courtesy to others. Love thy neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only one of these I've partially seen is Fatal Attraction. I'm actually not sure if I've watched it in its entirety or not. I don't like Westerns but now I'm curious about High Plains Drifter's ending. I'm going to go look it up lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and if you still are not sure, let me know

      Delete
  5. Terrific choices!!

    Fury is an upsetting film but unfortunately still relevant all these years later. Both Tracy and Sylvia Sidney are electric.

    It's been many years since I've seen High Plains Drifter and my memories of it are fuzzy. I should probably give it another glance but I recall thinking it was decent when I first saw it.

    You could say Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction is a textbook example of wrath. Don't love the film but she's riveting.

    I went all literary with mine this time out.

    Moby Dick (1956)-Captain Ahab (Gregory Peck) is consumed with wrath at Moby Dick, the whale who has caused the loss of his leg. He undertakes a suicidal mission to pursue the beast for a showdown with a crew including Starbuck (Leo Genn), Father Mapple (Orson Welles) and Ishmael (Richard Basehart). When they finally catch up with him the whale seems to have his own score to settle.

    Othello (1965)-Moorish general Othello (Laurence Olivier) plans to marry Desdemona (Maggie Smith) in secret. When her old suitor Roderigo (Robert Lang) hears of the upcoming nuptials he does not take it well and teams with Othello’s ensign Iago, who has long nursed a wrathful grudge against his superior, and a scheme that will end in tragedy for all unfolds.

    Oliver! (1968)-In this musical version of Dickens’s Oliver Twist there are immoral characters aplenty but Bill Sikes (Oliver Reed) stands out as the cruelest and the one most prone to lash out in wrathful vengeance that brings grief to others as well as himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you like my choices. Fatal Attraction is the weakest of my three choices and I agree with your assessment. Love your choices although I still need to see Othello. Mobs Dick is an inspired choice. I love you choice in Oliver and in choosing the musical version. That character is the epitome of wrath.

      Delete
  6. Hi Birgit, you are quite right to rant, it's your life after all.
    Today our First Minister made the wearing of face coverings compulsory, thank goodness, it's already so on public transport.
    Scotland is managing fine to contain the virus, but England is spiking again as the idiot PM has been too soon opening the country up, Johnston's handling of the the pandemic has been negligent and downright criminal.....There you go, that's my rant.

    As for your movies, not seen the first one, but the other two, Clint is always worth watching, and Fatal Attraction had me siting on the end of my seat. Hell hath no fury and all that, keep safe, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hopi g your PM would be smarter since he contracted this virus. I recall jumping out of my seat when Glenn Close came out of the water.

      Delete
  7. I haven’t seen any of these but I want to see Fatal Attraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fatal Attraction is a good movie but the other 2, in my humble opinion, are better.

      Delete
  8. Don't fall off your chair or drop your mask, but I have seen Fatal Attraction. Don't remember most of it, but remembered enough I thought your synopsis was spot on.

    Kansas's governor has mandated that ALL people (women, men, and children) MUST wear masks in public. This goes into effect tomorrow. I hope the police enforce it, because even our city council doesn't wear masks at their meetings and don't enforce social distancing (I watch on tv, not in person).

    I got my new Driver's License on Monday. I had my mask and gloves on. Each person got 15 minutes. My license expired on my birthday in April and that was the earliest I could renew it. One guy came in after me, and they wouldn't let him enter because he wasn't wearing a mask. The DL place was taking the virus as seriously as I did.

    Stay safe, take care, and keep ranting about those idiots who refuse to wear a mask in public.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People just don’t get how much wearing a mask saves them. It is not a restriction of freedom but a measure to save your like! Just now, there is a story, in Toronto, where a woman, brought her kid into St. Joseph Hospital, but she wasn’t wearing a mask. She videoed the scene thinking it would work in her favour but the exact opposite has happened.

      Delete
  9. I have seen Fatal Attraction but not the others. The bunny boiling … 😱

    ReplyDelete
  10. Raw and savage come to mind from reading your review of the Clint Eastwood movie. I've noted it down. Also, Fury. I can skip Fatal Attraction though. I can imagine Glenn Close being horribly mean, that's enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you have decided to see the first 2 and would love to know your reaction to High Plains Drifter. You are right about Fatal Attraction

      Delete
  11. I haven't seen any of them, but I am well aware of Fatal Attraction. Good picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, he Day, you will see one of these.

      Delete
  12. A lot of films can fit under this category I think. I've seen all of your picks and they are good ones.

    The very first one that popped into my head was Day of the Locust based on the Nathaniel West novel. That film culminates in a scene of a violent mob filled with wrath.

    The Death Wish films had some wrath filled revenge in them.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have to see Day of the Locust but want to. The Death Wish films are great choices but I only saw the first 2 and that was so long ago I don’t remember them but I love Charles Bronson and hope to see the. Again.

      Delete
  13. I agree on the masks. Glad to hear you are wearing one. I liked Como's response when he responded to people who felt that wearing masks were infringing on their rights: that they don't have the right to infect him.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a brilliant retort and I agRee with Como!

      Delete
  14. A mask? but but but the virus is fake. Pfffft. How any idiot can believe that to be true is beyond me.

    Fatal attraction sure shows why you should keep it in your pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaaa....yes it’s all fake news so let’s just sit in a cramped place with tons of other people while they cough and believe Jesus will save me...or I will go to that party and hope I am the first one to get it....Idiots!!!

      Delete
  15. 'High Plains Drifter' was a very good choice.
    And, as Lee said, 'Death Wish' is another really good one!

    Let's see... my list would certainly include (the often cited) 'Falling Down'.

    'Tombstone' and 'Billy Jack' definitely contain a lotta wrath!!

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Falling Down is Brilliant and totally forgot about that film. Tombstone is also brilliant ...Kurt Russell displayed Wrath so well.

      Delete
  16. Hi sis... the first two that came to mind for me are Death Wish and Falling Down, both already mentioned above. Oh... and a Star Trek movie... The Wrath of Khan. And just for good measure, "Network." There's a movie I must rewatch. Did you know parts of it were filmed in the CFTO Studios in Toronto?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Falling Down is perfect and so is Network! How I forgot about the Wrath Of Khan is beyond me. Ricardo Montelban was brill8ant and deserved an Oscar Nomination

      Delete