Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Weekly Song Challenge

 



I an sorry for not visiting as much but I have been so tired that I have been sleeping a lot during the day. I’m Even sleeping through Bonanza that is playing on our retro channel. I am feeling a bit better and the pain is a bit better now. 

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle has another slew of themes, well 3, this week and she is taking a hiatus until the new year but I am going to try and keep this going just for me but just have one theme with 3 picks. We shall see. Here are her 3 themes

A SONG WITH A BOY'S NAME IN THE TITLE
A SONG WITH AN ANIMAL IN THE TITLE
A SOBG THAT MENTIONS YOUR FAVOURITE COLOUR


1. DANNY BOY SUNG BY JOHN MCDERMOTT-1992

I always loved this song and posted one with Maureen O'Hara singing this ditty...yes the famous actress. I love John McDermott who is a Canadian legend, sings this song beautifully. I had the pleasure taking my mom and in-laws, with my ex ( we were married at the time) to see him perform and we got pictures too. My mom loved him because he shows great respect to the soldiers. This song was written by Frédéric Weatherly in 1913 set to the traditional Irish melody of Londonderry Air. 

2. A KERRY COW SÙNG BY MAUREEN O'HARA-1961


I wanted to see if Maureen O'Hara sang a song about an animal and she did! This is a cute Irish diddy  which is from Irish folktales. I just think it's fun to listen to. 

3. CARIBBEAN BLUE SUNG BY ENYA- 1991

I decided to do a theme and went the Irish way since I love Celtic and Enya is just a perfect ending. She wrote this and I think it's so pretty besides, I'd live to be in the Caribbean right now ready to swim in its warm waters.

What can you think up?

13 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    I was looking for your feature all morning, dear friend, and thought you weren't feeling up to posting it this week. I'm glad that isn't the case. I am happy to learn that you have been resting and snoozing and that the pain has diminished. I am thankful for that, as are all of your other friends.

    Good choices for the WSC, dear BB! The only song I knew when I came through your door is the first one, the oft recorded "Danny Boy." Wow, Maureen O really can sing! I never heard of "Kerry Cow" and I thoroughly enjoyed her vocal - fresh and pure as an Irish spring. I also loved Enva's voice as she sang about the "Caribbean Blue," completing your hat trick of three Irish songs in a row.

    Here are my picks:

    BOY NAME SONG: "Hats Off To Larry," a song penned and performed by Del Shannon. In mid 1961, Del's single went all the way to #1 up there in Canada and peaked in the top 5 in the U.S.

    ANIMAL SONG: "Never Love A Robin," a seldom heard song waxed by Bobby Vee backed by The Johnny Mann Singers. "Robin" was released as the B side of "Yesterday And You," an ill-fated Bobby Vee single that started climbing the chart two weeks before President Kennedy was assassinated. Many records released around that time performed poorly on the U.S. chart in the wake of that terrible event. Bobby's A side peaked at #55 while "Robin" only reached #99 for one week - the final week of 1963.

    FAVE COLOR SONG: I score DOUBLE WSC points for selecting "Green, Green," a hit single for the folk group The New Christy Minstrels featuring Barry ("Eve Of Destruction") McGuire on lead vocal. The record peaked at #14 on Billboard and on Cash Box in August of 1963.

    Please continue to rest, watch "Banana" (as my dad used to call it), and feel better and better every day, dear friend BB. If you are posting tamale, I'll see you in the balcony "At The Movies!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a sleep gal yet today but I listened to your picks and they put a nice smile on my face. I listened to all your picks and Green Green showed pictures of Christmas albums and I have one of those! I will be here tomorrow from r the TV ending of this month. I can’t believe October is almost done.

      Delete
  2. I know the first one I know well, but those second two, though obscure, are interesting choices. "Cow" isn't an animal I would think of as a song topic, but this song brings the idea strangely to life.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danny Boy is often done but I do love how John McDermott sings it. Yes, I have to say the last 2 are new to me but I love MAUREEN O’Haraks voice and she sings this so well. I love anything Enya so I am glad she sung one with Blue in the title.

      Delete
  3. I've heard of Danny Boy, but the other two were quite new to me. I love that you are continuing this challenge. I look forward to you feeling your old self again, too. I mean your renewed, not old, self!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old...renewed...it all works. I thought a theme within a theme works for this week.

      Delete
  4. Ode to Billie Joe - Bobbie Gentry
    Mairzy Doats which qualifies cause it's really 'mares eat oats', lol
    And Lady in Red which I have used before.

    Nothing wrong with napping during the day. I do it all the time. I have no real excuse. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your choices especially the second one. I am napping a lot.

      Delete
  5. Birgit,

    I'm glad you're doing some better now. It's a slow progress but hopefully a steadily improving one for you. I was surprised that I only knew "Danny Boy" in your song set this week. Great selections and I really like Enya, too.

    ReplyDelete