Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Different Musical Instruments

 


I do love unique musical instruments which often play in folk music from different countries...now don’t run away, I promise this won’t be bad. Ok, to me, I think these songs are great and are my favourites, of many, but I love these songs ...that they come from films is purely coincidental. I'm joining Monday Music Moves Me because I get moving on Wednesday:). The hostess is Cathy from Curious as a Cathy, a beautiful lady who loves music and more.

1.  THE THIRD MAN THEME BY ANTON KARAS-1949


I love the zither which is a standard instrument in many folk songs from Germany and Austria. This composer was found by Carol Reed, the director of "The Third Man”, playing in a small cafe in Austria and asked him if he could come up with a song for his film. The result is this very famous song also known as the Harry Lime theme. Yes, I do have a few CDs featuring this instrument.

2. ZORBA’S DANCE BY MIKIS THEODORAKIS-1964

This piece has become world famous and is played at just about every tourist Greek tavern and Folk dance  routine you can imagine but I love it. It is performed by the bouzouki, a unique looking stringed instrument. 

3.  LARA’S THEME BY MAURICE JARRE-1965


This is another beautiful theme song that we all know even if we have not seen the film( which is also excellent). Of course we hear other instruments but the balalaika takes centre stage. My mom loved this theme song and this was her favourite film. 

I love the music thst comes from crystal glasses, the banjo, many other pieces of music with different instruments. Which songs can you think of that have different instruments played in it.

12 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    Happy Wednesday Song Day and happy February, dear friend!

    Your song selections are pleasing to my ears, dearie. "Third Man Theme" is a familiar tune from my childhood. That young man performed a great rendition of the "Zorba Dance." I immediately pictured in my mind's eye the great actor Anthony Quinn doing the dance in one of the best remembered scenes in Zorba the Greek. Mrs. Shady and I watched that 1964 film on one of our first dates as a couple, and she has watched it several more times in the years since. I am also familiar with "Lara's Theme" because Dr. Z is another film Mrs Shady and I watched together early in our relationship.

    Complex music also appeals to me. Apart from The Beatles and Brian Wilson's Beach Boys, two of the most innovative bands in this regard, the example that always pops into my noggin is musician, songwriter, poet and activist Tom Rapp and his 1960s folk rock - art rock band Pearls Before Swine and every delightful, unique, mind expanding song on their 1967 album One Nation Underground. A variety of esoteric musical instruments were used in the studio, including several that were virtually unknown and seldom heard in the world of rock music at the time. They include (copied from the album's production notes): Autoharp, Banjo, Mandolin, Vibraphone, Synthesizer [Audio Oscillator], English Horn, Harpsichord and Synthesizer [Clavioline].

    Give not that which is Holy unto the dogs; neither cast ye your PEARLS BEFORE SWINE, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn ye on, and rend ye. - Matt.7:6

    Thank you for the morning musical entertainment, dear friend BB. Have a fine Wednesday and I'll be waiting for you tamale, sitting in the balcony-- "At the Movies!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take a listen to the band you mention. Many artists back in the 60s started to experiment like the Beatles with Ravi Shankar. I'm glad you know these pieces well. Hope you have a lovely day

      Delete
  2. The didgeridoo is one of those instruments! And a prog band I liked used it once in one of their songs and it was very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know me, I love the harmonica, both the diatonic (single key) and the chromatic (all keys) varieties. Blues, country, folk and rock players use the diatonic almost exclusively, while jazz and classical players use the chromatic. I play a lot of blues on my blog, but for some non-blues players, check out this post: https://thesoundofonehandtyping.com/2019/11/18/mondays-music-moves-me-harmonica/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, also, love the harmonica. My Opa played it and, apparently, my Oma played the mandolin and spoons. I know you love this instrument and I enjoyed listening to everything

      Delete
  4. Hi Birgit - those three I love ... so totally agree with your choice - they are extraordinary evocative and emotional ... taking me to the films - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Birgit,

    The theme from Dr. Zhivago is the only feature song of the three that I've heard before. I'm not even sure that I've watched the movie in its entirety, though. It's really a famous old film. I liked the sound of the second song played on the bouzouki. It's quite festive. I'm delighted you decided to join the 4M party, darlin'. Have a boogietastic day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Zhivago really resonated with my mom a;d, funny enough, her brother also said this was his favourite film. They both dealt with the Russian army and their ideology after the war. It was horrific. Zorba’s Theme is famous and often played at every Greek festival. The food is excellent! The Third Man Theme became a huge hit back then and I always think of my mom.

      Delete
  6. A while back, Music Moves Me had a "not your usual instrument" that generated some fascinating posts. For me, I think of the mellotron and the theremin. Fun fact, Robert Moog of Moog synthesizer fame was in the graduating class of my high school the year I was born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool that you went to school with this man. I am going to reacquaint myself with this instrument.

      Delete