Thursday, June 22, 2023

More Wedding Movies

 


It's still June and Weddings are the thing to do in June and the rest of the summer. I've been a bride once and a divorcee now but I still love looking back at my wedding. I've been many bridesmaids having to wear some outfits that just should never be. I never had to wear a seafoam green taffeta number with netting in the arms and skirt which catch a lot of bugs. This was a dress a friend had to wear. Anyhoo, I am picking 3 more recent films that can be considered rom-coms and here they are...

1. MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING- 1997

Julia Roberts played in quite a few of these flicks and, in this one, she is the best friend of a man she used to date but now are just best buds....until she meets his fiancée played by Cameron Diaz. Now, Julia wants her best friend back as her boyfriend and tries all sorts of tricks to get him back. She even brings in her other friend, who is gay and very handsome, to help her or, at least, tell her to smarten up. This is a fun flick where you can just watch and not worry about the world.

2. MY BIG, FAT, GREEK WEDDING- 2002

This was the surprise sleeper hit for the summer. It stars Nia Vangelos( who also wrote the script) as a mousy daughter of a large, boisterous Greek family that run a restaurant. She has a dad that believes windex is a cure all for everything, a loving mom, a crazy aunt ( played beautifully by Andrea Martin), a sister who thinks it's time to marry and have 6,000 kids and, in your face, brothers. Did I mention the nutty grandmother who sneaks into the next door neighbour's yard? In comes handsome John Corbett who finds this gal interesting but Nia, who likes him, feels she needs to stand on her own 2 feet and start looking a little better. She goes to school, finds a razor and calms down her big hair before meeting him again. We go through their courtship and see what he must deal with since he is marrying into this family. This was written in a somewhat autobiographical way and I enjoyed every minute! 

3. THE WEDDING CRASHERS-2005

I bet Joel hates this film...lol. it stars 2 semi-irritating stars in Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughan as 2 best friends who crash weddings to score. They have a system from getting into weddings, how to portray themselves and how to get available women. They go to a very fancy wedding held by a senator, played by Christopher Walkin and his drunk, nympho wife, played by Jane Seymour and meet 2 sisters played by Rachel McAdams and scene stealing Isla Fischer who is hilarious. Owen falls for Rachel and agrees to go the senator’s compound meeting the rest of the weird family and Rachel’s ass fiance, played by Bradley Cooper. They end up getting more than they bargained for when they end up on the stately island. I find this funny…stupid, but Funny and love the scenes with the freaky sister, played by Fischer and their weird brother who is on the other side of weird. I enjoy watching it when it comes on tv. 

What other Wedding movies can you think of?

By the way, the Oscar winner music from yesterday, was “ Can You Feel the Love Tonight” with the nominated song being, “Circle of Life” and the song that got nuttin’ was “Let Me Be Your Wings”. I  kind of like that song better than the Oscar winner.

22 comments:

  1. I was a June bride! Wedding Crashers is my favorite here, but I stand by that the last 15-20 minutes of it are awful. It completely loses steam, but it's still so fun to watch. And Isla Fisher is such a star.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right that it loses steam. They could have ended it 20 minutes earlier but still enjoy it. Isla is great

      Delete
  2. I've seen your first two picks. Or pics, lol. Where did you find that photo? Seriously, a friend? Some women are just plain nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow. I did a google search for that photo and found a slew of ugly wedding dresses. One of my jobs in college was selling wedding gowns for a major retailer in Detroit. I will no longer think I saw women make the worst choices for their big day. They were tame compared to this.

      Delete
    2. Yes..you saw where I got that photo. It was between that one and the one where it was cut out around her pregnant belly...blechhh. I have also seen some ugly gowns in my day but nothing one would put on the Friends of Walmart page

      Delete
  3. Fun movies, all! I especially enjoyed My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Nia Vardalos is a comedic Canadian treasure (from Winnipeg). "Nice" wedding gown! One false move and... 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and there is a 3rd film coming out! Did you ever try windex on something else? I did...hahaaa. yes...if I was the groom, I would be running away, screaming

      Delete
  4. So it wasn't enough that I couldn't remember any wedding movies I had seen or heard of. If I'd known you were going to do this topic again I would have thought about it more. Now I'm still drawing a blank.

    Right off the Fred Astaire film "Royal Wedding" came to my mind so there's that one. Then I remembered seeing a Bollywood film called "Monsoon Wedding" that I seem to recall enjoying, but that was several years ago so I don't remember much about it.

    Part of my recent vacation was to go to a "wedding" for a couple who actually got married 25 years ago. Their now adult children decided to throw the wedding that they never had then for them now. Kind of cute I guess, but it was a long drive for us to go to it.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought I'd do a double header. I almost chose Royal Wedding. I still have to see Monsoon Wedding. I would not like driving hours just to go to a wedding

      Delete
  5. I’ve seen the first too. What I wish I hadn’t seen is that first image! Words fail me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaaaa...yes she us not a blushing bride, that's for sure

      Delete
  6. Hi Birgit,

    LOVE your first two choices, loathe the third.

    I realize My Best Friend's Wedding was crafted to Julia Roberts' strengths but it is expertly done making it one of her very best vehicles. She's matched and at times eclipsed by Rupert Everett ("the Susan Hayward of it all!") whose lack of an Oscar nomination for this is appalling.

    My Big Fat Greek Wedding is just so sweet, genial and relatable and that makes it eminently rewatchable.

    I endured Wedding Crashers and couldn't have been happier to see the ending credits. That's all I can say about that.

    Thought I’d go with films that deal with marriage in a bit more roundabout way.

    They All Kissed the Bride (1942)-Joan Crawford is a big-time executive (shades of her future Pepsi work) upon inheriting her father's trucking business. She sees one way to enhance her business by arranging a marriage of convenience for her younger sister (Helen Parrish) that will strength business ties. At the wedding, Crawford meets Melvyn Douglas, an undercover reporter out to discredit our Joan....and you know what's coming next. Crawford took the role over from Carole Lombard who had perished in a plane crash on her way back from a bond raising tour, donated her entire salary to the war effort and fired her agent when he tried to take his 10%.

    It Had to Be You (1947)-Daffy comedy with Ginger Rogers as a flibbertigibbet heiress who has the bad habit of ditching her grooms at the altar. that is until meets fireman Cornel Wilde and starts to fantasize about him in crazy ways. Screwball comedy has terrific support from Spring Byington and especially Percy Waram, delightful as the exasperated parents of the indecisive Miss Rogers.

    We’re Not Married (1952)-Five married couples are shocked to discover that they're not really married! The justice of the peace who presided over their nuptials didn't have a valid license. When they learn the news five years later, each couple must decide if they will remarry. The five vignettes vary in quality but what a cast! -Eve Arden, Mitzi Gaynor, Ginger Rogers (again), Zsa Zsa Gabor, David Wayne, Paul Douglas, Louis Calhern and a very much on her way up Marilyn Monroe as the recently crowned Mrs. Mississippi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd hate Wedding Crashers. It is not classy in any way, shape or form. I am a sucker for it even though I don't care for the leads. I'd love to bitch slap Vince Vaughn.
      I hope the 3rd Greek Wedding movie is good. I so agree with you about Rupert Everett!
      I have only seen your last pick and found it fun but I really want to see the 2nd one for sure.

      Delete
  7. Greek Wedding was hilarious, wasn't it?
    Have a pain free day and evening.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen any of these, but I have heard of the Greek Wedding. Guess I'm not into rom-com films.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you never had to wear sea foam green taffeta with netting. Hehe.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh but that bride in the first photo - goodness. How did she keep her nips hidden? (I doubt that was a priority).
    I saw all three, and especially loved Big Fat Greek Wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I wonder if the groom resisted from squeezing her tatas during the ceremony and shouting "Honk! Honk!"

      Delete
  11. June is a busy month for weddings. We celebrated our 44th anniversary earlier in the month. I'm blessed that I not only love DH but I actually like him which is very important. He's my bestest friend in the whole of the wide world, too. :) Anywho from your movie picks, we saw "The Wedding Crashers". It was okay. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why would anyone wear a dress like in the first picture to their wedding or any where?
    Hope you're having a good one.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun movies, all three. In fact, I would say for all three that I enjoyed all three more than I was expecting to, especially My Best Friend's Wedding. Great music in that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm....
    Well, to be entirely honest, all that I have to say about "Wedding Movies" I already said [Link> THERE, on June 15, 2023 at 10:40 PM.

    Feel free to comment on it there... or here. Because I still ain't found nut'n new to say about "Wedding Movies" since June 15th.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete