Thursday, February 15, 2024

Bittersweet Romances

 


I can’t stand “Love Story” and other predictable boy meets girl, one’s rich, the other, poor, daddy hates the union. One dies…the end… snore. There are many romantic films..many…but I decided to center on the bittersweet romances of which there are…many. Here are 3 I chose for this week…

1. WATERLOO BRIDGE-1940


This film is a full on romantic melodrama that I should not like but I do. It stars Vivien Leigh and Robert Taylor as 2 people who meet on the bridge and fall for each other in the span of  a day or hours. She is a ballerina and he is upper class and they will be together no matter what. When shrivelled apple face Maria Ouspenskaya finds out his star ballerina went out despite her disapproval, she abruptly fires Vivien. Vivien soon finds out her love of her life has died in WW1 and soon becomes a lady of the night only, a year later, to see him very much alive. He is over the moon to see her again but can she tell him what she has become? This was Vivien’s  favourite film of hers as well as Robert’s favourite. It’s well acted and both stars are beautiful but I get frustrated by people making life so difficult. Stop being martyrs, tell them the truth and then hit the hay. 

2. SUMMERTIME-1955


This is a beautifully romantic drama that stars Katherine Hepburn as a spinster on her once in a lifetime trip to Venice who meets pouty-lipped Rosanno Brazzi and falls for his charm. When she decides to get all dolled up for her big date, I laughed because her hair was exactly the same…lol. This was directed by David Lean so it is a step above the typical romance plus you have Katherine Hepburn who is so good as a woman who has never given in to her impulses but decides to let Venice speak to her. Hepburn did her own stunts so that is her falling into the canal and she paid for it because she got something from it which resulted in her eye constantly tearing until the day she died. 

3. SUITE FRANCAISE-2014


We just watched this film starring Michelle Williams as a French woman who is living with her prickly mother in law, played by Kristin Scott Thomas while her husband is fighting in the early days of WW2. The Germans have just taken Paris and are sprawling all over France. Their small town is no different and a German unit takes over this town with the Captain staying at the fancy home where Williams and her mom in law live. The German, played by Matthias Schoenaerts, is a gentleman who hates the war and what Hitler is doing. He is a composer who loves music and hates having to do his duty which is repugnant to him. He and Williams fall in love but everything and everyone is against this union. A farmer kills a German, who deserves it, but now he is a hunted man and the German must find him. It is so well acted and sad. This is based on a book by Irene Nemirovsky, a Jewish woman who died in the concentration camps. Her daughter had the book and her mom asked her to read it and see about publishing it but, after the war, when she found out her mom died, she assumed it was her mom’s diary and could not read it. In the 1980s, she found the book and finally sat down to read it and realized it was not a diary but a fictional book set during WW2. Watching this movie made me think of my mom..when the Russians marched in, they were brutal especially since many were from prisons and were rapists and murderers which is what they did all around the German landscape. Sadly, my mom was a victim of gang rape( over many hours by 7 Russians) but 6 months later a Russian Captain and his troop set up camp on my grandparents’ home and made sure that the family was safe. While there he fell in love with my aunt, Tante Ilse, but, to my mom’s knowledge, they never acted on any feelings. Tante Ilse was already married and in love with her husband and this Russian was a true gentleman and made sure the killings and raping stopped in this area. One day, they got their orders to leave and that was that. 

That movie so bothered me that I dreamed a different ending which was much more positive and happy and how I wish it did end like that. Sadly, there were many French women that did get involved with German soldiers and officers but when the allies won, these women were vilified with their hair being shaved off and openly ridiculed. Sad how we humans can act because not all these women were collaborators.




16 comments:

  1. Hi Birgit,

    I'm not a fan of Love Story in particular either but not because of the way the story plays out. I'm fine with a romance film playing out the way it does in the film as long as it is well acted which in Love Story's case it was not!

    Waterloo Bridge is one of the ultimate bittersweet romances! Vivien's performance is so delicate, lovely and layered. Taylor was never near her skill level but he interacted with her well and this is one of his better performances. Being an MGM production everything is top of the line including the supporting cast, best of all Virginia Field as Vivien's steadfast friend Kitty. How it missed being showered in nominations is beyond me.

    Summertime is visually stunning and while it's not among my favorite Kate Hepburn films it has lovely moments.

    Suite Francaise was fine but nothing I'll ever return to. Excellent cast though.

    Considering the theme the very first film that came to mind was the 1953 Audrey Hepburn/Gregory Peck costarrer Roman Holiday. Which draws a lot of its power from that bittersweet ending. Second would be the lovely 1988 fantasy Big. I actually considered naming all three versions of Anna and the King of Siam since all end the same way but I think the best distillation of the story is Yul Brynner's "The King and I".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Roman Holiday especially the ending when Gregory walks out..leaves you wanting more. My dad loved The King and I and, I believe, it was his favourite film. I never thought of BIG but it suits this theme perfectly.
      I thought Suite was so well acted and sad. Waterloo Bridge is excellent, I just get frustrated when they don't speak up. I agree with you about Leigh and Taylor. Summertime is fun and sweet and some great scenery.Kate did do better films but she is good in this1 and more suited than if they picked a typical beauty.
      Ughh Love Story was ick..I just wanted to slap them both and I hate that comment, " Love means never having to say you're sorry"...WTF? Lol

      Delete
    2. That ridiculous line! in Love Story. It became a joke pretty quickly with even O'Neal mocking it within two years at the end of What's Up, Doc?

      Ryan isn't that good in Love Story but the real culprit is Ali MacGraw who is flat out dreadful. She is such an odd case, I've seen her in interviews where she is funny, loose, intelligent and charming plus I read her autobiography where she came across the same way but turn a camera on the woman and she becomes a tree!!

      Delete
  2. I have read Suite Française a long time ago and didn’t enjoy it much. Too sad.That is more of your mom’s history than I knew before, poor woman, how awful. I’ve also read A Woman in Berlin which covers a similar story of the Russians after the war ended. Horrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my mom went through a lot. The movie is very sad...I dreamed that it was after the war and she owned a flower shop in Paris and he comes in the door dressed as a civilian. They see each other and run to each other's arms and kiss. I woke up after that

      Delete
  3. Wow! I haven't seen a single one of your selections this time, Birgit!

    The first one that came to my mind was 'A LITTLE ROMANCE'. That freeze-frame ending stabs my heart every time!

    Then, of course, 'CASABLANCA', which is probably considered the all-time classic when it comes to Bittersweet Romances.

    Joel mentioned 'ROMAN HOLIDAY', and that's another great example in this category. I've seen that one at least 3 times and really love it!

    And then 'HEAVEN KNOWS, MR. ALLISON', which I've mentioned many times and which falls into a number of film categories, but Bittersweet (Almost-)Romance maybe best of all. If only she hadn't been a nun!

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen A Little Romance but Casablanca is gold. Roman Holiday is a fav of mine and so is Heaven Knows which is such an under-rated film and should have garnered Oscar noms for both of them. I have to look to see if Kerr was nominated for this role. I thought she should have dropped her habit and just gone with him.

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen any of these, but regarding the last, it seems the Russians are still getting many of their soldiers from prison, doesn't it? I'm so sorry to hear what your mother endured.
    Hope today is still a pain free day.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen Summertime (I think) but not the others. I'm so sorry for your mom. That must have been horrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Birgit. Ugh. Love Story is terrible and terribly annoying! The line that I hate the most: "Love means never having to say you're sorry." Excuse me?! So no need to apologize when she finds you in bed with another woman, forgets your birthday, or shows up an hour late for a show that already started or...Argh!
    Love you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Story was pretty hokey. This is a first! I'm not familiar with any of your selections, but they all sound interesting. As others have said, Roman Holiday is good, also, An Affair To Remember, or how about West Side Story?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Birgit - your review of Suite Francaise makes me want to see it - though your notes about the 'landscape' of war with men needing women ... just awful, but always the same ... thank you - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Birgit, I only know Waterloo Bridge as it was one of my Mother's favourite films, I always cry at the ending. Can't stand love story either, hope all is well with you, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  10. We do seem to be the most vindictive of all the species, don't we?
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete