Thursday, February 29, 2024

Happy Leap Year!

 


Are any of you celebrating a birthday today? Do you know of anyone who is? I could not find movies about the leap year…there is one, I believe, but that’s it…I think. Anyhoo, let’s see if March comes in like a lamb or a lion. It appears, in my neck of the woods is more like a lamb or a timid lion. Ok, I have a theme with my 3 film choices and let’s see if you guess what the theme is…

1. PUBLIC ENEMY-1931


This film is directed by one of my favourites, “Wild Bill” William Wellman, who made a star out of James Cagney as a brutal thug come gangster who is equal parts psychopath, sociopath, and brute. We see how he and his friend rise up in the gangster era with their molls played by Mae Clarke, Joan Blondell and Jean Harlow. The famous scene where Cagney pushes a grapefruit into Mae Clarke’s face was unscripted and caught Mae Clarke by surprise. The last scene is, to me, still one of the most brutal scenes done on film. Wellman could create a crisp, finely tuned film. His film, “Wings”, is the first best picture winner with great aerial battles that look quite realistic. It should be since Wellman was the first American to be part of the Lafayette #87 during WW1 and he received the Croix De Guerrero with 2 palms. I need to read his biography.

2. UP IN ARMS-1944


This was the first major film of Danny Kaye who plays a hypochondriac who gets drafted into the army. His best friend, Dana Andrews, volunteers, to keep an eye on his dumb ass friend. Their girlfriends join up as nurses but the gals like the other friend. Dinah Shore was the gal who really wanted Danny Kaye and they provide some good scenes with Dinah Shore singing some really pretty songs. Dinah Shore was more famous as a singer and, later, on TV shows including her daytime tv show plus dating Burt Reynolds. I need to watch this fun movie again as I haven’t seen it in decades.

3. THE FABULOUS DORSEYS-1947


I watched this movie last year and, the acting of these 2 famous brothers has a little to be desired but it’s entertaining for the music that they can do in spades. The 2 brothers are shown how they rise from obscurity to become famous but they quarrel…a lot! This one gal, played by Janet Blair, is trying to play peacemaker. In actuality, the 2 brothers did fall out back in 1935 over the way a song was being played but they did make this film and were on TV together where they introduced Elvis Presley. Jimmy Dorsey, who smoked and drank and died in 1957 from lung cancer, was brilliant for playing the Flight of the Bumblebee in one breath!

Can you figure out my theme? 

Bonus…



14 comments:

  1. Sounds like people with issues or bad habits. My best guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope..good guess....William, Dinah a d Jimmyvwere all born on the 29th of February

      Delete
  2. No idea. Only saw your first film. My son got married today , Feb 29, in Thailand, but with the 12 hour time difference it was yesterday here. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were all born on the 29th.
      Congrats to your son! I bet you wish you could have been with them on their wedding day.

      Delete
  3. I know today is Jimmy Dorsey's birthday, so my guess is that all these movies star people with leap year birthdays...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Birgit!

    I used to work with someone whose birthday was February 29th and he would decide each year whether to celebrate on the 28th or March 1st based on which was closest to the weekend!

    I had suspicions about your first pick but once I saw the second was one of Dinah Shore's rare films, I knew it was a birthday theme. I noticed her name this morning when I was looking at a news site and they had a listing of notable birthdays today. 😊

    Even after all these years The Public Enemy crackles with kinetic energy. Most of that is due to Cagney but Wellman’s direction keeps the film humming as well as his wise decision to switch the two male leads. I doubt with Edward Woods as Tom Powers the film would have had the lasting impact it has. Much as I love her the film’s weak link is Jean Harlow. This came while she was still under contract to Howard Hughes. He was loaning her out but not paying any attention to developing her skills and she was self-conscious and stiff. It wasn’t until the next year when MGM bought her contract and Paul Bern took her under his wing that she blossomed into the expert comedienne she became.

    I should really give Up in Arms another look. It’s been years since I saw it and I do remember liking it, as I do with most Danny Kaye films, but my memory of it is very fuzzy. I was a regular viewer of Dinah’s talk show back in the day, it had a homey, friendly vibe. Dinah’s personality was much more suited to the small screen, something she shared with Perry Como and Andy Williams among others.

    I agree completely about the Dorsey Brothers thesping skills, but their music was glorious! Again, it’s been years since I have seen The Fabulous Dorseys but their discomfort in front of the camera is something they shared with many of the premier band leaders of the time (Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Paul Whiteman and surprisingly Bob Crosby who shared absolutely none of brother Bing’s screen charisma). Strange and sad that the Dorseys died within six months of each other. Janet Blair was lovely in the film and best in show though the bar was not high!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only see Cagney in that role and I agree about Jean Harlow because I forget she was in this film. I always felt bad for Bern when I would read books and how they described him. It never made sense that a sexy gal would marry someone who could not..er...perform. I do believe that he was murdered by his wife. It all fits I can't believe that she's been dead 87 years.
      Yeah, the Dorseys could not act but they sure could play. It's weird how they died within 6 months of each other.
      I, too, need to rewatch Up In Arms again.

      Delete
  5. That’s a tough theme since February 29th is probably the rarest of birthdays making it less likely for fame to smile on those born that day. But after looking up who it applied to and not duplicating yours, I did find three!

    That Old Feeling (1997)-Birthday boy Dennis Farina costars with Bette Midler in this wacky comedy of two long divorced (quite bitterly) people now married to other people who are reunited at their daughter's wedding and realize that title spark is still there. Many absurd but humorous complications ensue.

    The Toast of New Orleans (1950)-Romantic musical costarring Mario Lanza as a fisherman recruited into the opera when it’s discovered he sings like well Mario Lanza and Kathryn Grayson as the diva he pursues generated Mario’s biggest hit “Be My Love”. Birthday boy James Mitchell costars as Pierre, Lanza dockside pal who just happens to be an extraordinary dancer along with a very young Rita Moreno as Tina as another dancing pal of Mario’s. A fabulously talented dancer James Mitchell had more success on stage than in film becoming the principal male dancer in Agnes de Mille’s legendary troupe. His greatest fame though came after he had stopped dancing and assumed the role of Palmer Courtlandt, the self-made millionaire you loved to hate on the soap opera “All My Children” for over 30 years.

    Higher and Higher (1943)-Probably the fluffiest role birthday girl Michèle Morgan (famed for classic European cinema such as Port of Shadows, The Fallen Idol, and the original version of The Mirror Has Two Faces) ever had. She’s a scullery maid pulled into broke millionaire Leon Errol’s get rich scheme to pass her off as his socialite daughter to snag a rich husband by butler Jack Haley. Good natured chicanery follows with Frank Sinatra making his screen debut as neighborhood boy…. Frank Sinatra! who is also sweet on Michèle. Stretches credibility to wafer thinness but it is charming with a great supporting cast including Mary Wickes and Barbara Hale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost wrntvwith Dennis Farina but I still need to see the film you mentioned.
      I love the 2nd film! I think, like the song, " Indian Live Call" ( which J & N sang at Harlow's funeral) and " Be My Love" are now quite ridiculed but I like them especially this song. I didn't know about James Mitchell being in the Soap.
      I also almost went with Michele Morgan but I can hardly remember this movie and so I went with Dorsey.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed Public Enemy, but haven't seen the other two. John already guessed your theme was about birthdays on Feb. 29.
    Re: Joel's pick: That Old Feeling is hilarious and I love Dennis Farina, a former Chicago cop. Sadly, he died a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's a great pick and u still need to see that film. I wad quite sad when I heard he died. He was too young

      Delete
  7. BIRGIT ~

    'Public Enemy' is the only one of your three movies featured here that I have seen. However, I like Dana Andrews quite a bit, and I would definitely be interested in seeing 'The Fabulous Dorseys' because I dig their music! I have a Jimmy Dorsey CD that my Ma bought for me just before she passed away. It arrived in the mail *after* she had gone on. So the song 'No One Ever Lost More', included on the disc, is a sentimental favorite of mine!

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I think your mom was speaking to you on that song. That must be a treasured item. I like Dana Andrews who seems to be forgotten today. Sadly, he dealt with alcoholism in his latter years.

      Delete