Thursday, October 3, 2024

Leo McCarey

 


Who the hell is Leo McCarey? Well, he is a famous director who was most prolific in the 30s and 40s ending in the early 60s. His most famous movies are “Going My Way” that stars Bing Crosby and Barry Fitzgerald and “An Affair To Remember” with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr. I am choosing 3 films that are just as fun. There are a few movies I still need to see like “The Awful Truth” starring Cary Grant and Irene Dunne but I am choosing films, that I love, directed by this man born on this date back in 1898.

1. RUGGLES OF RED GAP-1935


I had to choose this very famous scene when the English Butler, played by Charles Laughton, recites the Gettysburg Address and that brought Laughton to tears. In fact, this is Laughton’s favourite as well as Leo McCarey’s. The hick husband and wife from the States, are in England and the man is playing cards. A dumb English lord or whatever, has no more money so he bets his butler and, yup, the hicks win and off the 3 go back home. Well, Charles sticks out like a sore thumb but teaches something to the people in that small town and they teach Charles not to feel so haughty. It’s funny, sweet, and poignant.

2. LOVE AFFAIR1939


This is a second film version of this popular story about 2 people who meet on a cruise ship, fall in love and promise to meet up on top of the Empire State Building only for tragedy to strike. He remade this  film with Grant and Kerr that got a lot of free time when it was shown on the movie, “Sleepless in Seattle”. This is a gem with Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne in the roles of the star crossed lovers. It is also filmed with humour, tragedy, and sentimentality and that’s fine by me. Both Boyer and Dunne called this their favourite film.

3. THE BELLS OF ST. MARY’S-1945


This is a sequel to the wonderful, “Going My Way” following Father O’Malley, played by Bing Crosby,  who must try and save this school run by nuns, headed by the exceptional Ingrid Bergman. They may not see eye to eye but they learn to have a great respect for each other. It’s very fun to watch and see these 2  people spar in more ways than one. When can you see a nun teach a kid to box? I love the prank Crosby and Bergman played on the priest who was overseeing the film. When Crosby is leaving the school, he and Bergman passionately kiss. I bet that priest almost had a coronary…lol.

Have you seen any of his movies? If so, which one?

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    Happy 126th b-day (in heaven) to director, producer and screenwriter Leo McCarey!

    "What did Lincoln say at Gettysburg?" I'm sure your younger readers are wondering why those men in that scene from Ruggles didn't simply pick up their smart phones and ask Siri. :) I almost didn't recognize Charles Laughton without his hump. :) Seriously, this is a powerful scene and a compelling performance by Laughton as he recites The Gettysburg Address, with all in the room standing in silent reverence, taking every word to heart. Laughton's delivery of the famous speech brought tears to my eyes as well. It reminds us what has now become of the once proud party of Lincoln and the realization that, once again, we are "engaged in a great civil war" filled with dread and anxiety, hoping and praying "that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

    Shortly after the film's release, my folks took me to a theater to see An Affair To Remember. It remains one of my favorites. I have not seen the earlier version starring Boyer and Dunne, but you have inspired me to search for it.

    Long ago, perhaps in my college film course, I watched Going My Way and Bells. The Binger's acting style was as smooth and relaxed as his singing style. Ingrid Bergman was a wonderful actress and the screen chemistry between the two was unmistakable.

    In addition to the Leo McCarey films I already mentioned, I have seen The Marx Brothers comedy Duck Soup (1933) and Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward starring in Rally Round the Flag, Boys! (1958).

    Have a wonderful month, dear friend BB. Take good care of yourself and my buddies Lexi and Harley. If possible, come see me at Shady's Place on or about Oct. 26 when I present my Shadyween Part 2 feature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. Love Affair. What a classic. In a category all by itself.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful, poignant scene from Ruggles, Birgit. Thank you for this one. I'd not heard of any of these movies.
    Warm hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The greatest scene in "The Bells Of St. Mary's" was the Christmas play done by the preschoolers. At the end, Bing says "Wonderful, Sister. I wouldn't change a word" and Ingrid Bergman says "Oh, but they will."

    The scene from "Ruggles of Red Gap" might be one of the finest in film. I think the British know our documents and famous speeches better than we do...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen Love Affair. That first one sounds interesting. I might have to find it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Birgit!

    All are good films but my fave of the three by quite a margin is The Bells of St. Mary. Bing and Ingrid seem such an unlikely pairing it's surprising how well their styles blend. I think it helps that there is no romance so the vibe is different. It's a very sweet film.

    Ruggles is so unexpectedly charming. Considering its age it doesn't seem stodgy at all, which I think can be attributed not just to McCarey but the skill of the top comic performers, Laughton, Charlie Ruggles, Roland Young, Mary Boland and ZaSu Pitts, he had at his disposal.

    I like Love Affair but maybe because I prefer Deborah Kerr to Irene Dunne I'm much more of a fan of "An Affair to Remember".

    ReplyDelete