Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Pirates Ahoy!

 


Why am I showing Kaspar this week, over at Monday Music Moves Me, which is all about the Pirate? Well, I was watching a documentary about WW2 ships and the sinking of them by German subs. When one ship was sunk by a torpedo, they not only saved many soldiers, but they saved their mascot, a tuxedo cat ( sorry, I forgot his name). The cat is considered a good luck charm( I thought it was the opposite), well, this cat went to another ship which was, also, torpedoed and sunk..but the pussy cat survived and lived a nice long life. So, hats off to that tuxedo cat and to my Kaspar. Here are my 3 picks for the good ole’ pirate songs..

1. THE DEVIL’S SON BY THE JOLLY ROGERS-1997

I was looking for Pirate songs and heard this song about Blackbeard and thought this sounds great. I hope you enjoyed it.

2. GRACE O’MALLEY BY ROWDY BUNCH-2026

I love this Celtic style song about the famous Irish, female pirate from the 1500’s  who defied convention  and became a famous pirate. How cool!

3. MACK THE BLACK SUNG BY JUDY GARLAND-1948

This is a song, by Cole Porter, for the innovative film, “The Pirate”  that starred Judy Garland and Gene Kelly. I always liked this song and Judy did a great job lusting after this mysterious pirate. 

Hope you enjoyed my choices for Pirate songs…

Bonus..

GEORGE HARRISON SINGS A PIRATE SONG-1976

This is from some British TV show where George surprised everyone including his musicians, by singing a pirate song. He caught everyone off guard and I love it!

Oh, of course, I forgot to let you know last week’s Oscar guess for 1938. So, yup, “Thanks for the Memory” won the Oscar, “Jeepers Creepers” was nominated and “In September” received nuttin! 


3 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    I hope your kitty Kaspar enjoys nine lives and that his longevity luck rubs off on you and my buddy Harley as well.

    I enjoyed your pirate songs. That salty ditty by George Harrison, used as the "playout" song for the closing credit roll of that TV show, was new to me this morning. My ears were all set to hear George sing his hit "My Sweet Lord" when he transitioned into a pirate's voice and lyrics.

    The only pirate song I can add is "Ride Captain Ride," by Blues Image. The hit single was played often on the radio during the years I lived in the Tampa Bay Area because it was used as the theme song of the annual Gasparilla Pirate Festival held every January. The Gemini A.I. assistant explains: << The rock band Blues Image, originally formed in Tampa, Florida in 1966, has deep local ties to the region, and their classic 1970 hit "Ride Captain Ride" shares a natural, thematic connection with the famous Tampa Bay Gasparilla Pirate Festival. The Gasparilla Festival centers entirely around a massive, theatrical pirate invasion, where a captain and a crew sail a fully rigged mystery pirate ship (Jose Gasparilla II) across Tampa Bay. Similarly, "Ride Captain Ride" tells a fictional, mystical tale of a captain and a 73-man crew who board a "mystery ship" to sail off to another shore in search of freedom. Because the band originated as high school friends in Tampa, the track is embraced as a hometown classic. Given its heavy nautical, captain-centric themes, the song is frequently featured on local radio rotations, boat party playlists and soundtracks for the Gasparilla flotilla and parade of Pirates. >>

    Tomorrow, Thursday, I will return to Shady's Place with Pt. 2 of my annual Halloween Spooktacular. Hope you and Harley can drop by. I will also be back here at the BBC tomorrow, waiting for you, sitting in the balcony-- "At The Movies." Have a wonderful Wordless Wednesday, dear friend BB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was all set to say Grace O'Malley was my favorite but your bonus ended up being my favorite this week. I was all set to listen to My Sweet Lord and then....this entire video was hysterical! It's great seeing an unexpected side of someone you think you know. Incidentally, I had to read your first commenter. I lived in Tampa, Florida for two years back in the mid 1970's but never attended Gasparilla - I had to work! (I think the festival now is a lot bigger than it was then).

    ReplyDelete