I don’t think I have done 1938 yet, which will conclude the 1930s so, since it’s freebie week over at Monday Music Moves Me, I thought this will be the perfect time for you to figure out which song won the Oscar, which song was nominated and which came up with lint,,,,you know, empty pockets. Here we go…
1. SEPTEMBER IN THE RAIN SUNG BY JULIE LONDON
OK, this is a great song written by Harry Warren and Al Durbin and was in the film, “Melody For Two” originally sung by James Melton. I love Julie London( no kidding) so I chose her version from her album, “Calendar Girls” which I would love to own. This is a famous song that has been done by numerous singers and musicians and I understand why.
2. JEEPERS CREEPERS SUNG BY LOUIS ARMSTRONG
Who doesn’t love the great Satchmo, Louis Armstrong’s nickname, in case you don’t know. He introduced this song in the film, “Going Places” which was written by Harold Arlen with lyrics by Johnny Mercer. We get, not only his unique voice but his great trumpet playing. I always loved this song which seems to go with the mood of the upcoming month of October.
3. THANKS FOR THE MEMORY SUNG BY BOB HOPE AND SHIRLEY ROSS
This song became Bob Hope’s signature song that followed him on his many, many excursions to the wars to entertain the troops from World War 2 to the Persian Gulf. I always heard it on his many TV specials and when he did the talk show circuit. It first appeared on the, “ Big Broadcast of 1938” and it was written by Ralph Rainger with lyrics by Leo Robin and it’s such a Sweet moment in this movie.
So…can you guess which song won the Oscar, which was nominated and which came up with nuttin’?
My guesses: Thanks for the Memory won, Jeepers Creepers nominated. Only because I knew both those songs, and would Thanks for the Memory have become Bob Hope's signature song if it hadn't won?
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't have a clue but if I had to guess I would go with Thanks for the Memory. That's a nice song. Thanks for joining us on the dance floor, Birgit. Have a boogietastic week, darlin'! xo
ReplyDelete