Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Julie Andrews-What a Card!(Nyuck, Nyuck)


The Great Al Hirschfeld drawing of Julie Andrews in "Star"


Colour Q-Use Early Espresso, Dusty Durango, Old Olive, Cool Caribbean and white
Dream Valley- Anything Goes

I love Julie Andrews...who couldn't?? Of course my first memory of her is from The Sound of Music. I love that film in all its sweetness and miss steps. At the end, when they are heading over the hills...they would actually be going towards Germany. I would not have wanted Baron Von Trapp giving me directions.

Al Hirschfeld-He is one of the greatest artists..I mean one of THE greatest!!! He created great caricatures from the 1920's to the 2000's. My dream was to be drawn by him. I mean he has done everyone from Louis Armstrong to the Beatles, Bob Hope to the cast of Friends. He drew Julie Andrews more than 50 times from her beginnings on the New York Stage to film and back to the stage. I decided to draw her for a card and get my creative juices flowing as it were. I did not trace but just looked at Hirschfeld's drawing and drew on white cardstock. I could not find a regular pencil so I had to use a colouring pencil and could not erase anything. So poor Julie looks a little more sullen (reminds me of one of nun teachers I had) and her hands looked like they were ready to snatch a rabbit from above so I decided to hide them.

Last week there was a challenge from Simon Says saying "In the Stars". Of course, I was too late:) Julie Andrews starred in a film called "Star". It is based on the life of Gertrude Lawrence who originated  Anna from "The King and I". I have not seen the film "Star" in decades (ugh that makes me sound like I am 250 yrs old) but I recall it being pretty good but not mind blowing. I have to give it another gander before I give my 2 cents worth.

I decided to be inspired by Ms. Andrews since she is such a great star and had one of the most beautiful voices. What a shame that a Dr. screwed up her vocal chord surgery (to remove polyps) and she can never sing again. Think how devastating that must have been to this fine lady. Anyhoo, I believe I got all the colours correct and could enter this card in one challenge:) I missed Colour Q too-hahahaaaaa...oh well but I got Dream Valley (Yahoo). Oh when Al Hirschfeld's daughter was born, she was named Nina. From that time on he always included her name somewhere in his artworks...sometimes more than once....Can you find it in his artwork here (not mine but his)??

33 comments:

  1. This is so cool, Brigit! You're a really great drawer. I love the different metallics you incorporated into this amazing design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one! You did well with the theme even if you were to late to enter the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed that you drew that freehand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I feel I need to get back into that

      Delete
  4. Julie Andrews has has an amazing, versatile career!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a pretty cool rendition of Julie Andrews, Birgit. I like the way you hid her hands. Hands are tough to draw, I think. Sound of Music is the Mama's favorite movie. She ought to be requesting it soon. The older I get, the more handsome Christopher Plummer's Baron becomes. As a youngster, I thought he was creepy looking. What do the young know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and Yes I had to hide her claw hands-tough to do. Sound of Music is one of my favs too. I like Christopher Plummer in this when I was a kid...I must be strange

      Delete
  6. I think that's a great drawing of Julie Andrews—look how talented you are! I couldn't find Nina's name in the original. :( Could you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I think that Nina is in the back hair of the man in front of Julie...I think:)

      Delete
  7. Sound of Music is a classic. I did not know that about Julie Andrews throat surgery!
    Love the card. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes-she had polyps and they were to be removed but her throat was damaged in the attempt and left her voice damaged

      Delete
  8. You did great with the drawing!!! Julie Andrews is a class act; enjoyed everything I saw her performing in.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much-I wish she could have done My Fair Lady (No insult to Audrey Hepburn)

      Delete
  9. I have seen Hirschfeld's stuff but never really knew who he was. I searched some of his images, amazing. Do you know where Nina is? I couldn't blow the picture up very large and was wondering if it's in the top left (as part of the pillar). Your rendition of Julie is fabulous! Whenever I think of Julie Andrews I always think of the scandal where she went topless in something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Adore Hirschfeld. I thought Nina was in the back hair of the man in front of Julie. I have to check the pillar but he was known to add the name in more than once on occasion. The movie you are thinking about is S.O.B. directed by her husband Blake Edwards. Everyone was shocked that Julie was taking her top off. She was sick of being remembered only for Mary Poppins and the Sound of Music.

      Delete
  10. Lovely! I also adored Julie Andrews from the moment I saw her in Mary Poppins as a kid. Then of course, Sound of Music which I have seem umpteen times. I've only seen Star once though, when it first came out, and I was still young enough to go to it with my Mum and Dad. I think. I hope I don't now find out it came out when I was about 25!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie was great in those 2 roles and Star came out after, I think 1968 but I am going by memory and not checking on the net:)

      Delete
  11. A beautiful card. Thank you for sharing with us at Dream Valley Challenge. Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't imagine how traumatizing it must've been for her to learn she can't sing anymore. I hate knowing that.

    You did a great job with the card, Birgit. A very happy Thanksgiving weekend to you and yours. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was devastating to her and when you hear her talk, after a while you hear her voice crack just from talking. I can't imagine losing something one loves to do and was known for it and how special that gift was. I am not sure why she was dealt this blow. Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving

      Delete
  13. Ugh! Freaks me out that I can't find the name in his caricature! Sigh.

    I love your rendition. You are so talented Birgit. I love Julie Andrews. Have you heard her singing My Favorite Things - her version of it when she turned 69? Here it is:

    Botox and nose drops and needles for knitting,
    Walkers and handrails and new dental fittings,
    Bundles of magazines tied up in string,
    These are a few of my favorite things.

    Cadillacs and cataracts, hearing aids and glasses,
    Polident and Fixodent and false teeth in glasses,
    Pacemakers, golf carts and porches with swings,
    These are a few of my favorite things.

    When the pipes leak, When the bones creak,
    When the knees go bad,
    I simply remember my favorite things,
    And then I don’t feel so bad.

    Hot tea and crumpets and corn pads for bunions,
    No spicy hot food or food cooked with onions,
    Bathrobes and heating pads and hot meals they bring,
    These are a few of my favorite things.

    Back pain, confused brains and no need for sinnin’,
    Thin bones and fractures and hair that is thinnin’,
    And we won’t mention our short shrunken frames,
    When we remember our favorite things.

    When the joints ache, When the hips break,
    When the eyes grow dim,
    Then I remember the great life I’ve had,
    And then I don’t feel so bad.

    She received a standing ovation from the crowd that lasted over
    four minutes and repeated encores. :)

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea she sang this and I love it!!! I am going to write this one down

      Delete
  14. WOW.... you did drew her free-hand. Awesome! So sad about her voice. Barbara Walters interviewed her... even speaking you hear the loss of that crystal clear voice. You've got to watch that interview and you'll respect Andrews even more!
    xxx Asha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I saw the same interview! I respect ms. Andrews because she had to face something heartbreaking and she did it with class

      Delete
  15. How fun. I am also impressed by your drawing talents. It is very sad about her voice though. I missed hearing that. I spent countless hours listening to the Mary Poppins soundtrack way back when.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! It is sad about her voice. I am so glad we have film so we can continue to hear her sing (and her records)

      Delete