Monday, April 20, 2015

Q for Anthony Quayle



Born: September 7, 1913

Died: October 20, 1989

Aged: 76 years from cancer

Married: 2 times

A reliable and excellent character actor who has been seen in many films but people can't quite place him. He was an only child and was often lonely. In school he went into Rugby and RADA (Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts). He was taught by Sir Tyrone Guthrie and was greatly influenced by Sir John Gielgud. He started working as a comedic foil on stage but soon was able to find dramatic parts and even played in a couple of movies but more in the background. When World War 2 started he was one of the first to enlist and was a major in the Royal Artillery and he also worked for the OAS behind German lines with the Albanian patriots-he was a spy! After the war, he did not talk about his experiences even though he was greatly affected by it but he wrote & published 2 novels shortly after the war-"Eight Hours From England" and "On Such A Night". This probably helped him deal with his experiences.  He resumed his theatre work which was his first love and worked in many great plays like "Titus Andronicus" with Laurence Olivier. He started appearing more and more in films and in 1985 he was knighted. When his good friend, David Niven, was struck with Lou Gehrig's disease, He took the lead in campaigning to raise awareness about this disease. He was a war hero and true British Gentleman.

Oscar Nomination: "Anne of a Thousand Days"

Films: "Hamlet", "No Time for Tears", "Guns of Navarone", "Lawrence of Arabia" "The Fall of the Roman Empire", "The Eagle Has Landed", "Murder By Decree".

Quote: "If life doesn't have that little bit of danger, you'd better create it. If life hands you that danger, accept it gratefully."

The films in bold are the films to look for first but all are great


OK so my T list came up by accident yesterday-hahahaaaa-It took me a while to figure out how to put it to the right date.

44 comments:

  1. HAHA. Yes, I always have this nightmare when I am scheduling that I will mess it up. The first time I forgot to hit 'publish' and couldn't figure out that I did wrong. Quayle is one of those actors who is there but you don't likely notice him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Anthony but it is true. Yup so you will see my post again on Thursday:)

      Delete
  2. Nice highlight of a face that many forget about, due to the fact that he was never a 'star'. Nice portrait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope not a major star but I felt he deserved some recognition

      Delete
  3. I remember Anthony Quayle as I have seen most of the films in which he appeared. Didn't know he had written a couple of books. Sounds like the might be good reads. I wondered what happened with your T post appearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaaa-It will reappear on Thursday:) If you can find his books I think they would be

      Delete
  4. I had a sneak preview of T too! These things happen. I remember being taken to Anne of a Thousand Days when I was at school - for the historical content. I believe there must have been some sex in it because the teacher thanked us later for not being "silly". Couldn't have told you Anthony Quayle was in it though.
    Anabel's Travel Blog
    Adventures of a retired librarian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor guy and he was nominated for that role. Yup sneak peek:)

      Delete
  5. Wow, an actor with real honor. And a knight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had not heard of Anthony Quayle but he does look a bit steady in his photo;maybe that's why he played a lot of roles but didn't stand out like one that was a bit more handsome?? I did see your T yesterday; confused the heck out of me, LOL, thinking "how did I fall behind." But now we have something to look forward to in the next few days :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the confusion-my boo boo but I fixed it so will see it again on Thursday. He is the dependable actor-poor guy

      Delete
  7. lol the poor T was caught indeed.

    Sounds like a stand up guy indeed. Never recognized the name but I did recognize some of the movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is his problem-great actor but no one knows him

      Delete
  8. Like Pat, I didn't recognize his name but I know some of the movies. A war hero and a knight. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sadly (for this list) a rare occurrence: a "feel good" story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaaa-I know-there are a few...just a few:)

      Delete
  10. What an amazing life! I didn't recognize the name either, but his face is familiar. Thanks for another great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup he was always the good guy that no one remembers

      Delete
  11. Great story - I confess that I couldn't actually think of a Q for this list. I recognized his face, but not his name.

    You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Anthony Quinn last year so that left Quayle-poor guy and he was a spy-interesting life

      Delete
  12. So many people you've (I've) never heard of live remarkably interesting lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really would be interesting to read about but unsure if there is a book out there about him

      Delete
  13. He was a character which, in a mediocre movie, elevated it to pretty darn good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was reliable and an excellent actor but no one can recall him-he deserved to be here today:)

      Delete
  14. I don't recognize the name, but the face... I've seen him in something or other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always the face although I knew him since I was a kid but that is because I am film nut

      Delete
  15. He sounds like a nice guy. I've never heard of him, but I don't watch many movies or a lot of TV

    Sunni
    http://sunni-survivinglife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember watching him in Anne of a Thousand Days years and years ago!

    Good luck with the A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great film that I saw in school like everyone else

      Delete
  17. He was indeed a good actor. Another cancer victim....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cancer is a big one along with Heart disease. Seems to give a good idea about the average person

      Delete
  18. I do like a little danger with my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who doesn't! He looks so average and yet he was anything but!.

      Delete
  19. In some of his photos, the Husband's brother kinda resembles him. Quite handsome, Mr. Quayle was, as is the Bro-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of him as that but more of a very capable man which he was

      Delete
  20. Lawrence of Arabia was a great film. I watched it a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the benefit of seeing it on the big screen when the refurbished it

      Delete
  21. Love his quote! (I've had every type of scheduling glitch on blogger that is possible)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think his quote is great and one would not think it comes from a man who looks..so suburban:)

      Delete
  22. I'm appreciative of your A-Z posts, Birgit. You're teaching me so much. I also feel ignorant for not having heard of such a multi-talented and caring man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Not many people have heard of him but many know of his face

      Delete