Thursday, September 22, 2022

Thursday Movie Picks-Female Detectives or Cops

 

I had a tough time trying to think up female investigators. Wandering through the Shelves has been keeping me on my toes! I think I feel pretty good with my choices and no Nancy Drew in sight because I never saw a movie about this character. Here are my 3...

1. LADY OF BURLESQUE-1943


I enjoy watching a great Dame like Barbara Stanwyck and she really makes this movie shine about a series of killings, with a g-string( let's hope a clean one) in a burlesque hall. This is based on a book written by the famous, Gypsy Rose Lee, called " The G- String Murders." It's not an amazing film but risqué considering the Hays Office. When the police can't seem to find the killer, Barbara decides, with the aid of her co-horts, to find the real killer. It's a great old black & white movie that is quite entertaining.

2. COPYCAT-1995


This is an under-rated, stellar film starring Sigourney Weaver as a psychiatrist who is agoraphobic after a serial killer tries to do her in. Now, a new serial killer is on the loose and mimics the deaths from other serial killers stumping the detectives led by Holly Hunter. You feel the tension mount when the killer, played with a psychotic glee, by Harry Connick Jnr( he deserved more accolades for this role as he was really creepy) sets his sights on Sigourney. This is one of the best new thrillers I have seen and it should be better known. It keeps you riveted.

3. THE HEAT-2013


Yes, this is rude and crude but bloody hilarious! I love both of these actresses and they seem to have real chemistry. Sandra is an FBI agent who goofs up and is sent across the U.S. to investigate some murky dealings. She is uptight, by the book, and classy. She meets a cop, Melissa, who is the exact opposite, and they work against each other until they are forced to work with one another. Ok, the plot is typical, but it's just so funny especially the barbs Melissa says to the Albino cop jerk. I almost peed my pants. This is not everyone's cup of tea(Joel) but I enjoyed it.

Can you think of 3 female detectives from the movies?

12 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    I got your email, dear friend. Thank you! I hope you had a more restful night last night.

    Having only seen Barbara Stanwyck in dramatic roles, I didn't realize she was a capable song and dance dame. If her movie Lady Of Burlesque contains more killing and procedural crime solving than singing and dancing, I'd probably like it.

    I watched Copycat years ago and enjoyed it. Sigourney Weaver and Holly Hunter are two of my favorites, and I agree it was inspired casting to have pop crooner Harry Connick Jr. in the role of a psycho killer. One of my favorite actors, Dennis Farina, is downright chilling in the role of Angelo Buono, Jr, one of the serial killers in the 1989 TV movie The Case of the Hillside Stranglers, the infamous murder spree mentioned in that scene with Sigourney and Holly.

    I am a big fan of Sandra Bullock, will watch anything she's in, and I recently became enamored of Melissa McCarthy through her role in Nine Perfect Strangers. I see that The Heat also features SNL alumnus Jane Curtin. Based on that brief clip alone, I know I would enjoy the chemistry between the two lead female characters and appreciate Melissa's snappy one-liner put-downs of male characters.

    I'm going back to the well and suggesting the 1942 Marsha Hunt crime film Kid Glove Killer, one of the Marsha movies I have in my DVD collection. Marsha's character is the assistant to a forensic scientist (Van Heflin). Together they work to figure out whodunit in a murder mystery. By the end of the story, they have not only solved the crime but overpowered the killer and placed him in police custody.

    Enjoy the rest of your week, take care of my buddy Harley, and have a safe and happy weekend, dear friend BB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a tough one. I think it was a movie once, but Nancy Drew comes to mind. I know it was a television series in the 70's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't recall many movies I've seen about female detectives. I've never seen or heard of the three you chose. Agatha Christie comes to mind. Otherwise I can't think of any other than Nancy Drew as mentioned by Alex.

    Maybe Silence of the Lambs? Jodie Foster was an FBI agent but I guess she was kind of a detective.

    This is a tough one for me to come up with anything.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't think of any movies but I can think of a ton of TV shows. Miss Marple doesn't count cause she's an amateur. I'm stumped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Birgit, I've only seen Copycat, a brilliant film had me on the edge of my seat, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only saw Copycat, but it was seriously intense.
    Hope your day is pain free and filled with energy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara Stanwyck... mmmmm... I swear she got better-looking as she got older...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Birgit,

    I agree Lady of Burlesque is only middling but still an enjoyable time passer. It is the great Missy Stanwyck who makes it better than it would otherwise be. Gypsy's original story, while no literary diamond, is a decent read.

    While I've never felt any pull to watch it again I thought Copycat very well put together and gripping.

    The two women leading The Heat deserve better than that film but I guess I've seen worse.

    I actually had a super sufficiency of choices that came to mind this time out so I left off some of the more recent ones like Miss Congeniality and Raising Arizona and jumped into the way back machine.

    The first-"Mary Ryan, Detective" (1949) stars the very recently departed and wonderful Marsha Hunt (who made it to 104!) as a detective who goes undercover to break up a jewel ring, first in the slammer and then as part of the gang.

    Next is "Lured" (1947) starring Lucille Ball as a dime a dance girl in London recruited to Scotland Yard to try and catch a serial killer prey on women through the personals. Marvelous noir directed by Douglas Sirk and costarring George Sanders and Charles Coburn.

    The last is as obscure as the first "Wanted: Jane Turner" (1936) wherein Gloria Stuart is teamed with Lee Tracy as postal detectives on the hunt for a gang of mail fraud villains.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I picked Copycat too since I was going with recent watches and it was one I recently saw.
    I have seen The Heat as well though I can't remember much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm....
    I got nuttin'. Which seems to be the case more and more as time goes by.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of the three, I've seen Copycat, which is pretty good for me. The others sound wonderful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I've heard of Copycat before but I still need to watch it

    ReplyDelete