Thursday, April 25, 2024

Eclipse

 


So, a couple of weeks ago, we had that total eclipse in my neck of the woods and I was worried how crazy the roads would be travelling to Niagara Falls. I need not have worried because the streets were almost vacant of traffic. Tons came to the Falls only to be disappointed because we had cloud cover, although a bit of a break came where people could see a bit of the eclipse. I was talking to a client, via Zoom, when this was happening but we both kept glancing out our perspective windows noticing it getting jet black for  a minute before it became daylight once again. Funny, the sun peaked out 10 minutes later becoming a clear sky for the remainder of the day…hahahaaaa. Now, it seems many people are having eye issues because these morons decided to look into the eclipse despite repeated warnings not to do this…sigh. This made me think of movies that had a solar eclipse in the movie so I went with that.

1. A CONNECTICUT YANKEE-1931


I haven’t seen this film version in decades and I want to see it again because I remember laughing at the antics of Will Rogers. In this version, Rogers plays a radio man sent to a mansion to fix a radio, from what I remember, a suit of armour falls on top of him and he wakes up during the reign of King Arthur. He is ready to be killed for being a witch but his rodeo rope antics and matches make people stop from killing him. I seem to remember he “foresaw” the eclipse which made more people believe him to be better than Merlin. Merlin and Morgan Le Fay are the evil doers and Will Rogers must outwit them. I enjoyed this movie and fell for Will Rogers who was a major star back then and very much endeared to the public so, when he died in a plane crash in 1935, the world was devastated.

2. A CONNECTICUT YANKEE IN KING ARTHUR’S COURT-1949


This version, which I also saw decades ago, is a musical starring Bing Crosby, this time as a singing mechanic who bumps his head and winds up in King Arthur’s court. There he meets and falls in love with Rhonda Fleming while avoiding being killed when he predicts the solar eclipse. This is a musical remake of the Mark Twain classic and one that I also enjoyed. 

3. LADYHAWKE-1985


I love this fairy tale with a young Matthew Broderick as a thief who falls into the sad tale of love when he meets Rutger Hauer with his hawk. At night, the boy meets up with a beautiful woman, played by Michelle Pfeiffer, with a wolf. They venture to an old castle where they meet up with a friar who tells the young thief that these 2 people are in love but a spell was cast on them so they could never be together because , when day comes, she turns into the hawk and , when night comes, as she transforms back into h7man form, Rutger turns into the wolf. The only way to break this curse involves a solar eclipse. I got a major crush on Rutger Hauer when I saw this film and just loved the Grimm fairy tale feel of this movie.

What movies can you think of that show a solar eclipse? Did you watch the eclipse, with protective glasses, of course?

14 comments:

  1. I don't think I have seen any of these. We had cloud cover north of Detroit, but it did darken some and the temp dropped 5 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These films are not played much but they are fun. It got black here and the street lights came on. Alas, I was working.

      Delete
  2. Last movie is a classic.
    We didn't have a total eclipse here but at least it was clear and we got to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a cruel joke that there was cloud cover and, 10 min. After the eclipse, the clouds went away. I'm glad you love Ladyhawke

      Delete
  3. Hi Birgit - I haven't seen any of these ... but have been fortunate to have been around when the partial eclipse occurred in 1999 ... wonderful to have been outside to experience it - as I see Alex mentions. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you experienced it when it came around d your neck of the woods.

      Delete
  4. I didn't realize these films had eclipses in them, probably since when I saw them years ago I wasn't that interested in an eclipse while now I am having experienced full totality on beautiful days. Too bad your area had the cloud cover! Several of my kids travelled for the eclipse this month and also had the cloud cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many travelled to the Falls but didn't see too much. Oh well. I remember the eclipse events in these films but I have to see these again especially the first 2.

      Delete
  5. Lady Hawke is a wonderful example of a solar eclipse and one of my favorite movies. Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly, we only got to about 50%, so it wasn't worth it for us. I tried to watch coverage on the news, but 3rd period, the AP class, wasn't interested and worked on whatever it is they work on during class.

    I have not seen the first movie. I have seen the other two. I don't think I've seen the second one all the way through, but I saw bits of it. I saw Ladyhawke in the theater.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a grand weekend. Hope you're feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wasn't there a double-eclipse in '9 To 5'?
    Or was that just Dolly Parton walking past a window?

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good grief, I hadn't heard that about people suffering with eye problems from staring into the sky during the eclipse. What morons! These are the same people that would stick their hand into a snake den and wonder why they got bit because they didn't see a snake. *slap forehead* Oh well...great idea to pick movie themes. I haven't seen any of these nor can I think of a film with an eclipse. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you're feeling healthy.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete