Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Novelty Songs

 


My sweet Harley loves to rest his head on my knee when he tries to gain sympathy....usually works. On the Monday Music Moves Me, it's all about Novelty songs and I chose these 3 and hope you like them.

1. I WANNA BE LOVED BY YOU SUNG BY DEBBIE REYNOLDS-1950


This song became famous by the great Helen Kane, becoming her signature tune, back in 1928. It was made more famous when Marilyn Monroe sang it and it even showed up.on Gilligan’s Island when Ginger sang it( and Mary-Ann thinking she was Ginger). It was written by Herbert Stothart and Harry Ruby with lyrics by Bert Kalmar and this rendition, by Debbie Reynolds, leaves me in stitches every time. The young man is played by Carlton Carpenter and it is from the film, " Three Little Words."

2. TROGLODYTE/BERTHA BUTT BY JIMMY CASTOR-1972 & 1975



My brother has a 45 of the Bertha Butt song and I remember his record differently from these 2 but these still work and they are from the same guy. I just always found it funny and still sing it in my head. It did become a bit of a hit.

3. HOW MUCH IS THAT DOGGIE IN THE WINDOW SUNG BY PATTI PAGE-1953


This was written by Bob Merrill and became famous by Patti Page. My dad loved this song and he was a dog lover. He would have loved Harley and so, for my dad and Harley, this song is for them. 

One more for the road…

4. DER FUHRER’S FACE SUNG BY SPIKE JONES-1942


I just had to include this one which is so funny. I showcased this before but had to include it. 

What novelty song comes into your mind?

17 comments:

  1. I had the Troglodyte single, too! "Right on... right on...HOT PANTS! HOT PANTS!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like Bertha.i had hotpants..wore them once.

      Delete
  2. Is that the same I Wanna Be Loved by You sung by Betty Boop the cartoon character? Oh do I ever remember How Much is that Doggy in the Window, what a hit that was back in the day. Novelty songs are fun and interesting, and they can become huge hits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup Betty Boop sang this song. That doggie song is sweet but I know she thought it was stupid.

      Delete
  3. I remember How Much Is That Doggie in the Window from when I was a kid. Wonderful memory. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. It was a huge hit back in the day and my dad loved it

      Delete
  4. I somehow missed both the Bertha Butt and Troglodyte songs, though the last immediately brought to mind Joan Crawford's sorry swan song "Trog"!

    However I adore Debbie's version of "I Wanna Be Loved by You", and Marilyn's too! You could have included her "Abba Dabba Honeymoon" number that she performed with Carlton in the same film. They were certainly a peppy pair.

    I saw an interview with Patti Page years ago where she said she thought "How Much is That Doggie in the Window?" was the stupidest song when she was first handed it! She had to be persuaded to record it, which she did begrudgingly and was amazed when it was the hit that really established her. She also said that she still thought it was silly but had developed a fondness for it over the years. It's absolutely no "Tennessee Waltz" or "Allegheny Moon" but it is a cute number.

    The first novelty song that popped into my head is Tommy Roe's "Jam Up and Jelly Tight" which even though it never fails to tickle me is a nonsense song that makes little sense.

    The other two I thought of are "Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah" and "Monster Mash".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost went with abba dabba but I just laugh every time I see Debbie sing this song and pull on his bowtie.
      When my brother was out, I would take this 45 and play Bertha Butt and always snickered at it but the version my brother has is different, I think.
      I love your picks and someone else dis choose Hello fahdda. If we were closer to Halloween I would have chosen Monster MASH.. a fav of mine.

      Delete
  5. BIRGIT ~

    Oh, dang! I had forgotten about the 'Bertha Butt Boogie'. We boys got many laughs outta that one in the olden days of yore.

    Here are some favorite novelty songs of mine, most of which I mentioned the other day on CAThy's blog:

    ‘The Battle Of New Orleans’ by Johnny Horton;
    ‘Flowers On The Wall’ by The Statler Brothers;
    ‘You Can’t Roller Skate In A Buffalo Herd’, 'Chug-A-Lug', 'Do-Wacka-Do', and 'Kansas City Star' by Roger Miller.

    And several by Jim Stafford, including ‘My Girl Bill’, ‘I Ain’t Sharin’ Sharon’, ‘Your Bulldog Drinks Champagne’, ‘Wildwood Weed’, and ’16 Little Red Noses & A Horse That Sweats’.

    I truly love (and own) every one of those songs!

    ~ Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you know the Bertha Butt song. I know some of your picks but not all. I have to check them out. Love Johnny Horton

      Delete
  6. I loved How Much is that Doggie in the Window when I was a kid. I also remember There’s a Hole in my Bucket which I found very funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to listen to Hole in the bucket..sou is funny.

      Delete
    2. Meant to write sounds funny

      Delete
  7. Hi Birgit - I remember 'How much is that 'Doggie in the Window' but the others not so ... novelty songs ... Anabel mentioned another one we had over here; then there was 'The Fastest Milkman in the West' - by Bennie Hill. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Benny Hill so I have to check that one out

      Delete
  8. I remember I Wanna Be Loved by You and How Much is that Doggie in the Window from my childhood. I disliked Troglodyte/Bertha Butt when it first came out but it makes me laugh now. I don't remember the other Bertha Butt song. And I discovered Spike Jones as a young adult - I even had one of their albums on vinyl at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's cool that you owned a Spike Jones record records. I always found the Bertha Butt song funny.

      Delete