Thursday, March 9, 2023

Thursday Movie Picks- Movies Loosely Based on Books

 


Wandering Through The Shelves  picked an interesting theme which put my thinking cap on. I believe I chose some good movies that work so here are my 3...

1. KISS ME KATE-1953


This fun musical stars Katherine Grayson and Howard Keel as a divorced  couple who play opposite one another in a musical version of the "Taming of the Shrew". The problem  is that these 2 bicker just like their Shakespearian counterparts. This is a funny, fun and musically gifted film with Ann Miller, Tommy Rall, Bob Fosse, and Keenan Wynn rounding out the cast.

2. THE NUTTY PROFESSOR-1963



I decided to choose this original  film version rather than the remake with Eddie Murphy because this was Jerry Lewis’s baby. I am not a huge fan of Lewis and, to be Frank ( or Ralph or Archie), I found this character annoying... both the nerd and Buddy Love. I can't help but think Jerry Lewis was closer to his Buddy Love character. Anyway....nerdy scientist decides to take a potion which turns him into a suave, handsome man about town but who is rude and obnoxious. The object of the dual Lewis is nerdy scientist teacher's student played by Stella Stevens ( she recently died). Unfortunately, the potion wears off at the most inopportune times. This movie is based on Stevenson's, "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

3. APOCALYPSE NOW-1979



This is an excellent film where the back story on the making of this film is just ad crazy. This film is based on the Joseph Conrad book, Heart of Darkness but, instead of the Congo, the film takes place duringbthe Vietnam War. Martin Sheen ( who suffered a heart attack while making the film) is required to go deep into the jungle and kill insane soldier, played my Marlon Brando. You join in with Sheen as he travels up the river  to kill Kurtz. I get mesmerized by many scenes and the music is excellent. This is a true classic.

So...what films can you piece together from a book  you have read?

14 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    Happy Thursday movie day, dear friend!

    I liked Kathryn Grayson, but haven't seen Kiss Me Kate or most of her other films, because her career was in musicals. Same with Ann Miller. I don't see any slasher films in the credits list of either actress, and that's a doggone shame. However, Ann's final film appearance was in David Lynch's 2001 creepy mystery Mulholland Dr, which was inspired casting and a cool move on Ann's part.

    FYI - playback of the clip from The Nutty Professor is prohibited in my country (Shadystan), but I know the movie by heart. I liked Jerry Lewis in all of his film roles, but he could be an arrogant jerk in guest shots on TV talk shows and as host of his annual MDA telethon. His Buddy Love character was based on Shady during his clubbing years.

    Apocalypse Now is one of the first films Mrs. Shady and I watched together as a new couple. She is a huge Martin Sheen fan, based on his iconic roles as Robert E. Lee in Gettysburg and the POTUS in The West Wing.

    For my picks, I'm going to name some biggies and a couple of films that I don't think I have mentioned here before. First, there are the Hitchcock shockers Psycho and The Birds. Then comes Sir Anthony the composer in The Silence Of The Lambs. I'd also like to mention The Shining, The Thing, Jaws and the original 1950s version of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. Next, I loved Winona Ryder at her loveliest in Bram Stoker's Dracula. Linda Blair sprays pea soup in The Exorcist. I liked Sandra Bullock in Birdbox, James Caan in Misery and John Cassavetes in Rosemary's Baby.

    Have a nice Thursday and a safe and happy weekend, dear friend BB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apocalypse Now! Excellent choice. Didn't know Sheen suffered a heart attack during the shooting. Way too young for that. I also prefer the original Nutty Professor.
    I'd pick The Resurrected, which is loosely based on The Case of Charles Dexter Ward by Lovecraft. Considering most direct translations of his books to movies aren't very good, this loosely based one is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, even trying to think of one movie that fits this theme is taxing my brain. Good for you to get three!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen all three and remember being deeply affected by Apocalypse Now. It took me a few days to shake off the heaviness of it. Knowing Martin Sheen suffered a heart attack during filming added to the gravitas. Interesting theme, but I'm drawing a blank for examples.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I never seen the original Nutty Professor movie, but I'll definitely check it out!

    Here’s my Thursday Movie Picks

    The Surreal Movies and TV Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST MOVIE AND TV BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I'm sure Jerry Lewis wasn't as fun in person. I never saw The Nutty Professor, but I have seen many of his '60s films and enjoyed them. I have seen Kiss Me Kate, but not Apocalypse Now (but obviously I've heard of it).

    For this them, loosely based on books, I would do a mini-theme and find the Jane Austen adaptations. They've modernized them. (I just saw one where they modernized Persuasion.) They've taken some serious liberties. (There was one where the main character, and I can't remember which book it was now, was very angsty.) Oh, and there was the Bollywood version. Yes, I would have a hard time narrowing it down to three.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never saw Kiss Me Kate. Sounds fun.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com
    Have a pain free day and evening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice Pivot! I haven't seen the original Doctor Doolittle. Just the Eddie Murphy version, which is enough. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen 'KISS ME, KATE', but it definitely sounds like one I would like.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you've had a great weekend.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not seen or heard of the first film. Nutty Professor is a great oldie. I love those old Jerry Lewis movies. We saw the last flick but neither of us really cared for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You’ve misunderstood the theme I set. It’s about pairing a book to a movie…hence Companion Reads which is what I listed as the theme in my TMP schedule…and not “Movies Loosely Based on Books”…I would suggest not rewording my themes for TMP because then you are changing the whole theme.

    Anyway the only Nutty Professor I saw was the Eddie Murphy one but never saw the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I want to rewatch Apocalypse Now!

    ReplyDelete