Thursday, March 30, 2023

Thursday Movie Picks: TV Edition- Book Adaptations

 


TV time again and it's all about shows adapted from a book(s). This was a toughie for me. One came into my head right away but I struggled a bit since my brain is slowed from all the rotten weather. Today, it was sunny  then the winds picked up, rain followed by blizzard conditions and now it's a balmy -1. Hey, I wouldn't be a true Canadian if I didn't bitch about the weather. Head on over to Wandering through the Shelves to see what the others have chosen. Here are my 3...

1. PLAYHOUSE 90- 1956-1960

This was a weekly anthology series with some great stars and directors doing a live version( for the first year) before it was taped. Some of these TV renditions were later made into films like "Requim for a Heavyweight" and "The Days of Wine and Roses". Many of these shows were adapted from books. I haven't seen all episodes but I have seen a few, like Requim and this was stellar TV. The 50s had some great TV...can you imagine this being on regular TV now? I mean,  how can it compete  with the Kardashiasses and the real Love Boat? Our brains have really shrunk to walnut size.

2. LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE-1974-1983

Michael Landon went from Bonanza fame a studly Little Joe Cartwright to PA Ingalls, a dad with a wife and 3 girls..the middle one being half-pint, Laura Ingalls who wrote the stories of her family many years later. I read them when I was a kid and I was surprised at the differences but I was a kid and didn't know any better. I still love watching the show but PA Ingalls is a lousy carpenter. Everyone else seems to have a nice home where his family looks like they are in s big outhouse. The novels are simple but the tv show isn't and made a star out of Melissa Gilbert. Some episodes are amazing.

3. POLDARK-2015-2019

I've spoken about this series before but it's such a good show and Aiden Turner is so damn nice to look at that I had to talk about it again. Poldark comes back to England, from the war in the Americas, to find out people thought he was dead for the past 5 yrs. His dad is dead, his home is a shambles and his fiancée is engaged to his cousin. That's the first 15 minutes and it goes on from there where we get involved with Poldark  as he gets involved with dastardly plots against him and his land, war in France and politics. We get involved with other characters as well like a good doctor, a nasty pissant who marries his fiancée, his beautiful wife and her brothers  and more. It's well acted, written and the cinematography is excellent. 

Which TV shows can you think of that came from books?

22 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    Having lived up north nearly half my life, I recall how frustrating the long March toward spring can be, with the temperature seesawing and weather conditions changing rapidly and regularly. Hang in there, dear friend.

    I'm excited that you posted about Playhouse 90 because my folks and I watched the anthology series every week. I well remember "Requiem for a Heavyweight" because I saw both the TV play and the movie. The two projects brought together casts of distinguished actors that included Anthony Quinn, Jack Palance, Jackie Gleason, Mickey Rooney, Keenan Wynn, his father Ed Wynn and Julie Harris. It was thrilling to watch scripted works presented live on national television. I couldn't get over seeing people inside a box in our living room. At one point, we had an empty shell of a television set in our basement. I used to get inside and pretend I was "on TV" and perform skits for my own amusement. I look back on that period with embarrassment because I was in my forties at the time.

    Little House was all the rage for years, but it is a series I didn't watch primarily because, by the 1970s, I had "been there and done that" with Westerns. I remember Melissa Gilbert's awkward appearance (or appearances) on Howard Stern's TV show. I enjoyed watching her movies when she came of age.

    You wrote: "Aiden Turner is so damn nice to look at..." What am I... chopped liver? :) I wanted to remind you of that expression, because it was so often heard in entertainment, especially during the 1950s, as I recall. I am not familiar with Poldark, but appreciate the introduction. I will call Mrs. Shady's attention to the series because she likes all things British, especially period works. I see that this adaptation is set between 1781 and 1801. We subscribe to Britbox, and I'll hunt for it there.

    I am an Amy Adams completist, and therefore I will mention and highly recommend the always brilliant actress starring in the 2018 psycho thriller TV miniseries Sharp Objects, based on Gillian Flynn's debut novel of the same name.

    Please give my good buddy Harley big hugs and a coon and enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend BB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost went with Batman but I had seen a few of Playhouse 90 and thought it deserved a mention.
      I never thought if Little House as a Western even though it's set during the time. I just think of it more like a family drama set during that time.
      I believe your qife...and you will enjoy Poldark. It's well written, beautiful cinematography great acting and story lines.
      You did the same think that Lucy did on.her tv show..WHO doesn't want to be in a TV?
      Harley say woof, woof

      Delete
  2. One of my favorite shows is CBC's Murdoch Mysteries based on the books of Maureen Jennings. And I also enjoy the BBC's Father Brown and Midsomer Murders which are also based on novels.
    I've not seen any of the series you mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best friend loves Murdoch Mysteries. I've seen a few shows and thought it was quite good. ..same with Father Brown.
      I'm shocked that you have never seen Little Outhouse!

      Delete
  3. Watched Little House on the Prairie. There was also The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew back in the late 70's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG..yes! How could I forget those 2 series! I had a big crush on Parker Stevenson.

      Delete
  4. I had companion reads for this pick and now I'm wondering if I read the wrong list again lol. I always save them into my drafts because it's easier. Little House is the only one of these I've seen. I feel like that was always on when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I think you got It right and I got it wrong but..oh well. Little House is always on somewhere

      Delete
  5. I never have seen any of those. Little House on the Prairie was popular when I was a kid, but we didn't watch it in my house. No shows come to mind right now, but I'm sure I'll think of some later. This is rich territory to mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I'm surprised you have never seen Little House. It's still on somewhere. I bet you can think up a few

      Delete
  6. I remember a few from the BBC that ran on Public Television here: one was an adaptation of John LeCarre's "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" with Alec Guiness as George Smiley. Another was an adaptation of "The Dutchess of Jermyn Street" called "The Duchess of Duke Street" that starred Gemma Jones as Louisa Trotter.

    I think "Marty," with Ernest Borgnine in the title role, was on "Playhouse 90" as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marty did show on this TV Show before it was made into a movie and Ernest won the Oscar that year.
      Great choice with Tinker, Tailor

      Delete
  7. I've heard of the first two, but never seen either. I believe Poldark, which I've never watched, is on PBS and if you have Passport, the entire series is available.

    I agree with Denise about Father Brown and Midsomer Murders. I watch both on my PBS station each week. I think Father Dowling also falls under that category.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom loved Father Dowling! Great choice. I think you would like Poldark

      Delete
  8. The first one that came to my mind was 'THE WALTONS'.

    After that, I thought of M*A*S*H. (You'd think that M*A*S*H would be the first one to pop into my brain but... nope.)

    How about the 1960s BATMAN series, based on comic BOOKS? ;-)

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost went with Batman. That's a great choice and so is The Waltons, one of my husband's favourite shows. I for got MASH came from. A book

      Delete
  9. My sister was/is a Little House devotee so I've watched A LOT of that show.

    MASH, of course, as Stephen mentioned.

    Having recently read the Sherlock Holmes stories, I'm certainly curious about all the various adaptations. I've only watched the Cumberbatch series before.

    I don't care for Anne with an E which is too bad because I absolutely adore the books - so much better than Little House. I prefer the old CBC miniseries with Megan Follows. But those still aren't as charming as the books. There was an extremely popular Japanese anime about Anne in the late '70s. I've never watched it but I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only one I'm familiar with is Little House. Loved Michael Landon. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Birgit - lots of British shows here and Little House on the Prairie ... and one from Australia that I can't remember - about a doctor in the 60s or so ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never saw Poldark although I have seen episodes of the others. Playhouse 90 had some great shows. I do recall watching some of these when I was a kid. I have a couple of the "Little House" books on my shelf but I haven't read them. Wasn't a huge fan of the show, but sometimes I did watch it.

    Off hand I can't recall many TV shows based on books. At one time I had a copy of the book Please Don't Eat the Daisies which was made into a film and a TV show. I don't recall if I ever read the book, but I probably saw the film and maybe a few episodes of the show. There wasn't that much to watch on TV then so it's very likely that I watched it some.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these choices particularly the first two - great memories of Little House on the Prairie even though I always think of the excellent Family Guy parody now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh interesting, I was just talking about Poldark the other day!

    ReplyDelete