Thursday, April 6, 2023

Thursday Film Picks- Easter

 

Wandering Through The Shelves originated and still does this fun post but only twice per month now instead of every week but I love doing this so I pick my own theme when she is taking a break. Since Easter is almost upon us, I am going with some Easter movies that I watched every year at this time. It became a family tradition and here is the first…

1. EASTER PARADE-1948

I have to choose this musical because , well, duh! This film stars Fred Astaire, Judy Garland and Ann Miller about a famous dance and song team, Astaire and Miller who are romantically involved when Miller decides to break up the cat so she can hit the big leagues. Astaire meets Garland and tries to mold her into Miller’s style but it doesn’t work. He realizes, finally, that she is great but in her own way and they become a great team much to Miller’s chagrin. This is a fun, breezy musical with a lot of Irving Berlin tunes including the title song. Fred Astaire was “retired” but when Gene Kelly broke his ankle, he asked Astaire to replace him. Garland was better than average on the set and Cyd Charisse was supposed to be in Miller’s role but she tore up her leg muscles and in came Miller. 

2. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS-1956

Well, duh…lol. Of course this is a must see film for Easter starring God, er,  I mean Charlton Heston, as Moses before he found his God. This virile, sexy, man about pyramid is raised as an Egyptian and even walks like one. He is not like his “bro” virile, baldy, Yul Brynner, who wants to abuse the slaves and make them work for nothing who also lusts after his sister, Nefertiri, played by sexy Anne Baxter. Nefie only has eyes for her cousin, Moses and he lusts after her too. Unfortunately, it all comes out that Moses is Hebrew and therefore, a slave and is driven into the desert to meet up with Lily Munster, I mean, Yvonne De Carlo who is a shepherdess with 6 other sisters who are hard up for a man but Yvonne gets her Moses. Of course then he meets the burning bush( get you minds out of the gutter), his hair turns white and he becomes boring as sand. He and his family head back to the city where he wants his people freed and after many nasty things happen including the freaky green Angels of Death pay a visit and kill the first born sons, Yul lets  his slaves go and the thousands take off happy as a lark. Are they happy? Of course not, they just have to listen to Little Caesar, aka Edward G. Robinson, and despite all the miracles to save them, they decide to betray Moses and have an orgy around a gold statue. No, not the Oscar, but a golden calf, that they lust after while Moses is receiving the 10 Commandments from the finger of God. When he finally reappears with a bigger beard and whiter, he is pissed. I always thought Moses could have done a lot more if he just stayed where he was but nooooo, he went all martyrdom and became very boring. Hahahaaa. This is still a fun frolic that I love watching every year. I love the drama and the way Anne delivers her lines as she lusts after Moses plus the special effects are great.

3. BEN-HUR-1959

Another mega-biblical epic starring Chuck Heston as Ben Hur who is a wealthy Jewish man with a mom and sister and a really good childhood friend who happens to be Roman. Of course accidents happen when a roof tile falls onto a Roman soldier and Ben Hur is arrested by his friend and sent to become a slave on a ship while his mom and sis are thrown into prison and his house left to rot. When Ben Hur is thirsty, a man gives him water saving him so he can be a slave on the ship of a Roman. When the ship is sunk, Ben Hur saves the Roman who decides to make him his adopted, very grown up son. Ben Hur arrives back home but out for blood and to win the great chariot race. There is more to this story with Ben Hur giving a man water, the same man who did the same for him years before, as the man is heading to his crucifiction. This film won 11 Oscars, not sure it deserved ll of them but it’s a biggy without doubt. I love the fact that William Wyler, the director, told Steven Boyd, the actor who played Mesala, Hur’s best friend, to act as if he was in love with Ben Hur because they both knew what a prude Heston was and would never catch on…he never did. Love it!

What Easter movies did you watch?

Oh, I hope you watch the clip below of Ann Miller dancing to “Shaking The Blues Away” from “Easter Parade”. She was married to an abusive, alcoholic who threw her down the stairs while she was pregnant. She lost her baby, could never have children afterwards and she broke her back. She did all the dancing in a back brace!



28 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit

    As you well know, musicals aren't my thing, but even I, the Shady guy, could enjoy Easter Parade, because I like to look at fashions of the period in living color, and also because I like Peter Lawford and Ann Miller. After seeing how strung out Judy Garland appeared in yesterday's post, it's nice to see the clock turned back to happier, healthier times. It's fun to imagine how the film would have turned out if intended cast members Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse had not been sidelined with injuries. Or how about Gene Simmons and Sid Caesar? Even better!

    My family took me to see The Ten Commandments in the theater shortly after it was released. The epic film had a tremendous impact on me. As you pointed out, it stars two titans of testosterone, Charlton Heston and Yul Brynner. I appreciate the humor running through your Ten Commandments review. I really enjoyed Anne Baxter's performance as Nefertari. Yessum, she had the hots for Moses, and proves the adage that once a woman goes slave... she'll never behave.

    I also enjoyed Lily Munster, but think it was a "goof" - a blunder, an anachronism that Ten Commandments included a scene of her with Herman, Grandpa and Marilyn. I also like Debra Paget, having also seen her in Fourteen Hours (about a jumper on a skyscraper ledge), Bird Of Paradise and From The Earth To The Moon. Coincidentally, I was just doing some reading about Debra Paget last night. Linked romantically to Elvis the Pelvis and Howard Hughes, Debra had a couple of very brief marriages, one lasting less than three months!

    I also saw Ben Hur in the theater, and again, was blown away by the spectacle, especially the thrilling chariot race which, I'm pretty sure, was rigged! I trust Wm. Wyler as a director. He has never let me down.

    Ann Miller was a tough cookie, a real trouper, as they say. It's hard to believe she was wearing a back brace in that number. I loved her appearance in Mulholland Dr.

    You're gonna hate me, but the only Easter film I can remember watching is one I saw a few weeks ago: Easter Bunny Massacre (2022). I'm not joking!

    https://www.amazon.com/Easter-Bunny-Massacre-Sarah-Cohen/dp/B09NHW98SK

    Thanks for the reviews and have a happy Easter, dear friend BB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my…that is one nasty Easter Bunny and one I will not watch…lol. Joshua! Joshua! No one yells that name better than Debra Paget. I would have loved to see Herman as Moses and Gramps as the Pharaoh. I can’t picture Gene Simmons dancing like Cyd:). Poor Ann had to marry that piece of crap but it just made her stronger

      Delete
  2. All older movies as you don't see many Easter movies these days. Although there are several Christian-based films in the theaters right now, which is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of these stories are done very well..I do love the camp though

      Delete
  3. Nice picks! I honestly can't think of a single Easter movie off the top of my head so I would've bombed with this category. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, one day, you will see one of these films. You have to at least, once.

      Delete
  4. Terrific theme and so appropriate!!

    ADORE Easter Parade! It is something you can watch anytime but does seem required viewing at this time of the year. Judy and Fred team so well it's a shame their other planned pairing didn't work out, particularly The Barkleys of Broadway-I think watching them bicker as Fred and Ginger did in the film would have been wonderful. That sort of piquant drollery was right up Judy's alley. I had read about Ann Miller's awful marriage and beast of a husband. Terrible. When I was a kid and Ann had moved into her gigantic hair and doll-like makeup phase I found her hard to take but there is no question she was a great dancer and as we both aged and she ditched the most extreme look and that awful fake laugh I warmed to her.

    Ten Commandments is simply an Easter must!!! Chuckles is stiff as a board but that fits his role, Yul all solemn gravity and snarling machismo and Miss Anne Baxter vamping for everything she's worth. It's all too delicious. Love the rest of the supporting cast and well and would say that Yvonne is the MVP for not giving into the pageantry and actually handing in a genuine performance.

    Ben-Hur is an awesomely made film but I find it ponderous at times, not of course the infamous chariot race but it could have used a snip here and there.

    To be honest your three choices were the first trio that occurred to me as well but I dug a little deeper and came up with these.

    For strictly religious fare I'd say "The Greatest Story Ever Told"
    For a look at the female side of things "The Story of Ruth"
    And of course "It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown"!

    Happy Easter!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can’t get more stiff than Chuckles. I grew with all you say especially Yvonne. I still love hearing Edward G talk in his New York accent. I always thought that those thousands he freed were a pretty ungrateful bunch. I agree that Ben Hur could have had a couple of snips as well but I do enjoy it. Ann Miller must have had a sore neck from the weight of that hair and that massive makeup. It was her schtick for that time and I always thought she was hiding behind that facade and was more sensitive than we thought. She had lousy picks in men though. You chose some good movies too…I enjoyed the Greatest Story but my heart goes to Charlie

      Delete
  5. Easter Parade, of course! I love it. I've never seen The 10 Commandments. I'm not interested in the biblical epics. I saw Ben Hur long ago when it was first on TV and didn't care for it. I don't like Charlton Heston because of his gun-loving, pro-NRA stance in his later life. It really got to me. However, I do like It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown! and Chocolat (2000) is a great Easter movie starring Juliette Binoche and Johnny Depp.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My respect went way down for him when he went all NRA and I think it did hurt his image now. Actually he does have cold dead hands now and I think I can grab that gun from him pretty easily now. Maybe he was already feeling the effects of Alzheimer’s instead of outright stupidity. I do like watching many of his movies though.

      Delete
  6. Ah yes, Easter Parade. Fun film. I have not seen the other two. I don't really do anything for Easter, it's just another Sunday to me, so I don't have any good Easter movies for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have fond memories of Easter because my Aunt and Uncle came with their 3 kids and, yeah, forced to go to church but we had fun. My mom would blow out chicken eggs, clean them and we cleared the table and put the paints down and paint the eggs with regular craft paints. We could create anything we wanted to from modern look to funny…whatever. I still have the eggs because my mom strung them up and hung them up on the chandelier. I bought my hubby a chocolate for tomorrow.

      Delete
  7. I've never seen any of these, but I love the Easter Parade song. You chose some great Easter films, even if I'm only familiar with them through your synopses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you know the song! I’m glad about that and that you enjoy my synopsis

      Delete
  8. His movies were amazing and I'm proud and appreciate that he served in the army, but I'm not a Charlton Heston fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lost a lot of respect for him when he was so militant regarding guns. I can grab that gun now from his cold dead hands. Harsh? Probably but that’s ok. I do like his films and, like you, appreciate his war duties and his solid marriage

      Delete
    2. Right there with ya.
      Hope you feel better soon.
      Hugs

      Delete
  9. They certainly had tragic life stories, some of these Hollywood starts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The three you named are the first ones that might come to my mind. All great films! To your list I might add Barabbas, King of Kings, and The Passion of the Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You chose 3 that are good ones too. The 50s were a good time for biblical epics

      Delete
  11. I'm still laughing at your summary of The Ten Commandments! That and Ben Hur were must-see Easter movies on TV back in the day, weren't they?

    As for Ann Miller's abusive husband, I was compelled to look that up. His name was Reese Milner and he was an heir in a family that made its wealth in the steel industry. It seems he wanted her to give up her career as a performer. How ironic that Ann Miller will forever live through her work while Milner has devolved into a forgettable footnote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you like my synopsis. I always thought Moses turned boring as hell and could have done a lot more for his people if he stayed where he was. It was fun watching these lengthy flicks. I also like The Greatest Story Ever Told and seeing John Wayne play a Roman guard…hahahaaa.
      Yes, I wasn’t going to give her ex the time of day because he was a real a hole. I was just gob smacked at how great she danced despite the back brace and pain she must have had.

      Delete
  12. I love the two Easter Parade clips! And thanks for the back stories on the film and its stars. Never knew that about Ann Miller -- and kudos to her for coming back from such a horrendous experience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved The Ten Commandments and Ben-Hur! What great old films these were and still are!! I remember watch The Ten Commandments every Easter. Ben-Hur might have ran about the same time, too. But, I don't remember. I don't think it was on every year, though. Charlton Heston was a great actor. Thanks for pulling some old memories out of the cobwebs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to watch the Ten Commandments every Easter but I haven't in awhile. I still usually listen to Jesus Christ Superstar, though (can't watch it, the 1970s movie is terrible).

    This year I watched the Bob's Burger Movie with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  15. BIRGIT ~

    I've never seen 'Easter Parade'. It always struck me as one of "those types of musicals" that I don't really care for.

    But I have seen - and even own - 'The Ten Commandments' & 'Ben-Hur'. But they are both so long-- er, I mean "epic"... that I can't get myself to watch them very often. Certainly not every Easter.

    I like that part in 'The Ten Commandments' when an exhausted and beaten Yul Brynner flops down into his throne and says, "His god IS God."

    And my favorite part of 'Ben-Hur' is when Ben-baby shouts, "I'll give you my gun when you take it from my cold, dead hands!"

    So, the movie I watched on Easter Sunday was 'HARVEY' starring Jimmy Stewart and a 6'3.5" Easter bunny. And I didn't watch it ONLY because of the giant bunny, but because Elwood P. Dowd had the sort of kind & charitable personality I think we Christians are meant to have. (Also, he knew that drinking nothing but beer, and no whiskey to go with it, wasn't the proper way to spend a two-week vacation.)

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
  16. The ten Commandments was definitely block-buster worthy.
    How are you feeling? Better I hope.

    ReplyDelete