Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Wednesday Music Fest

 


Yes, this is my dear friend, VJ, who travelled around the Himalayas, as you can see and I would love to have been there but not the way he got there. He was on a bus travelling on one of the precarious roads, sandy roads and, at one point, another bus came from the other direction and each tried to pass one another. My friend looked down a 3,000 ft drop and he did not see any edge because they were right on the edge..a few inches from going down…far down. Nope! No way! No how would I be on that bus! I would be walking or just not going which is what I would be doing….or not doing:). I love The Alps and always have, even though I am so scared of heights..go figure, but I just love the mountains. This was my motivation for this weeks’ music choices which I decided to join in the Monday Music Moves Me.

1. CLIMB EVERY MOUNTAIN SUNG BY MARGERY MACKAY FOR PEGGY WOOD-1965


I always thought Peggy Wood sang this but, once I read about this song I found out that it was too difficult for her, especially at her age, so they brought in Margery MacKay. Dame Peggy had trouble to lip sync at the beginning of the song too so they shot her in reflection not realizing it added to the scene. Pretty cool. Oh and this is from The Sound of Music by Rogers and Hammerstein. 

2. DREI BERGL LANDLER BY MANFRED SCHULER FROM A TRADITIONAL FOLK SONG-1993

I found this CD and fell in love with the whole thing because I love folk music fr9m around the world. This just makes me think of the Alpine mountains and how magical they look and I have been so lucky to be in and travel through by train and car ( with my crazy ass aunt who thinks it’s fine passing people on a small mountain road while pointing to castles, talking about them and not looking at the road). The traditional instruments were used like the zither and it was played in a an old fashioned hall in a small mountain village.

3. MOUNTAIN GREENERY SUNG BY BING CROSBY-1956



I just really like this song…it’s fun, and puts a smile on my face. This was created by the famous team of Rogers and Hart back in 1926 and originally sung by Sterling Halloway. 

Do you love the Mountains? Hills? Oceans? Etc…what music do you think of?

19 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    Happy Wild, Wacky and Almost Wordless Wednesday, dear friend! I am here for your Wednesday Music Fest. I am relieved that you found my comment from a week ago, published it and replied, and I appreciate your reply to last week's Thursday movie feature as well. If your gremlins seize this comment I am composing and hide it in the spam folder, please go there now and look for it. Oops, that makes absolutely no sense now, does it? :)

    I've been to the Grand Canyon and know how terrifying it is to peer down from a 300 foot cliff. I can't even imagine a 3,000 foot drop! Your friend has nerves of steel to take that perilous bus ride on his trip to the Himalayas.

    I remember the song "Climb Every Mountain" and enjoyed reviewing it in that monastery scene in TSOM. There's lot of joy in that second tune. It does indeed paint pictures in the mind and make you want to visit the Alpine region. No singer I can think of, with the exception of Dean Martin, is as smooth, mellow and laid back as The Binger. I enjoyed his 1956 recording of "Mountain Greenery," new to my ears this morning.

    When I was a boy, my family went to the mountains of Northern PA every other summer, with vacations to the seashore the years between. I enjoyed both experiences equally. To answer your final question, I need to throw you a curve ball and name "Never In My Life" by the hard rock band called Mountain, and "Put Your Hand In The Hand," a 1971 million seller by Ocean, a Canadian gospel and soft rock group from Toronto. Do you remember them?

    Have a happy Wednesday, dear friend BB. I'll be back here tamale, waiting for you, sitting in the balcony-- "At The Movies!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my friend is nuts! He did feel woozy and told his guide that ge wanted to sit on the other side of the bus. My friend also visited an active volcano, bungee jumped and swan with whale sharks. I'm glad you like the songs I chose and I like yours. I know the 2nd one well but never heard the first one until now but I like it. I hope you have a great day and week. I have no clue what to write about for tomorrow

      Delete
  2. Oh hell no for that drive up the mountain. I always tell people I'm not afraid of heights, but I'm afraid of ledges. That's when they bother me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I get nervous and scared watching the drivers on YouTube. I could never have done that trip

      Delete
  3. I did not know that about Climb Every Mountain either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting isn't it. I always thought she sang it

      Delete
  4. Oh, the Sound of Music soundtrack. I loved "Climb Every Mountain" as a child. My favorite from The Sound of Music was Edelweiss, both as a child (when I couldn't understand its significance) and now (as an adult, when I can). No mountain roads without sturdy rails for me, thank you very much. But songs I would pick for this theme would mention the sea or sailing despite the fact that I suffer greatly from seasickness: Beyond the Sea from Bobby Darin and Sailing from Christopher Cross.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you about the roads. Those are 2 great songs

      Delete
  5. For the nostalgia factor alone I'd have to pick Climb Every Mountain. Sounds like your friend has an adventurer's heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. No sitting on that bus for me, either. I have heard of the first song, but not the other two. They are a little long in the tooth for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah yes "Climb Every Mountain" is an inspirational. I wasn't sure about Peggy Wood but since she wasn't known for singing previously I can't say I'm surprised that she was dubbed.

    I'm unfamiliar with the second but it's a nice folksy tune with an interesting mix of instruments.

    Bing's voice is just the warmest thing and he makes you feel that "Mountain Greenery" is surrounding you!

    My first thought was John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High", then "Mountain High, Valley Low" though if I recall that's more about devotion to a loved one than the actual mountains which led me to "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terrell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yrs, I love the instruments in the folk song. When I was in the Alps, once, I heard yodeling back and forth...it was a magical moment.
      I love John Denver and still miss him...
      I do like your choices

      Delete
  9. Hi Birgit - one of those trips up into the Himalayas would terrify me ... but stunning scenery. How lovely to see your friend ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he gets himself into precarious situations

      Delete
  10. Birgit,

    I don't like heights, either. I hate being on mountain roads that are narrow with no guard railing. That's one reason why we opted to take the Cog Railway to Mountain Washington in New Hampshire last September. We didn't want to stress with stupid people riding our bumper, constantly on their brakes surely to fail wrecking themselves and us. The road is narrow with few turn off opportunities, so a big nope to that. Plus, it gave us a chance to do something I've always wanted to do, ride a train! :) I would be very, very nervous to travel the Himalayans on such treacherous roads. Walking would be safer, if I don't have a heart attack reaching my destination. lol I guess this rules out me ever seeing that part of the world... oh wait, the plane ride to India would initially kill the trip. I enjoyed your old song picks, especially the folksy polka sound of the second one. Have a terrific Thursday, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you like my choices. I could not be in a vehicle o those roads but I have been in one through the Alps and no guard rail...I was terrified.
    I love train travel which is just stupendous when in Europe.its the best way to Travel

    ReplyDelete