Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Oscar Songs 1946

 


Who won the Oscar for 1946 for best song? I'm often surprised which song was left out. I'm still going to join over at Monday Music Moves Me. Next week, I'm away on a small vacation with the hubby, staying with his Aunt and Uncle on the Richelieu River. I'll try to listen to some tunes but I hope to relax and I'll be away from work! Now...on with the show. Take a guess at who won the Oscar, who was nominated and who was unlucky in both.

1. ALL THROUGH THE DAY SUNG BY BING CROSBY


This is a lovely song from the film, " Centennial Summer" with music by Jerome Kern and lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein 2nd. 

2. PUT THE BLAME ON MAME SUNG BY RITA HAYWORTH( NOT REALLY)


Alas, Rita was an excellent dancer but her voice was dubbed, here, by Anita Ellis for the film, "Gilda". This was quite sexy and daring for its time and still packs a wallop, I think.

3. ON THE ATCHISON, TOPEKA AND THE SANTE FE SUNG BY JUDY GARLAND


This is a fun song from the film, "The Harvey Girls" that starred Garland and Ray Bolger ( he played the Scatecrow in "The Wizard of Oz"). Angela Lansbury is in this musical as well. The music was by Harry Warren with lyrics by Johnny Mercer. 


So, take a guess...who hot the Oscar, who was nominated and who struck out on both counts?

19 comments:

  1. I vote for Rita Hayward for her sexy number a long! :) They did a good job dubbing in the vocals and the singing voice is a good match. I love old movies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s Birgit…nope..that song got nadda. Judy’s song won and Bing’s was nominated

      Delete
  2. The Judy Garland song won, the Bing Crosby song was nominated, and the Rita Hayworth song (yeah, okay) wasn't even nominated. Lovely Rita was still ravishing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s Birgit ..you are right!

      Delete
  3. I think the song from The Harvey Girls won, but I'm not positive. I don't know if the others were nominated. Rita was so beautiful.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s Birgit…she was stunning. Her song got nuttin’

      Delete
  4. Just guessing here, but Judy Garland was the likely winner and Bing got nominated. Even if she couldn't sing, Rita was a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s Birgit…you are correct on all counts

      Delete
  5. Pretty sure Atchison won. I never heard the Bing Crosby song before, but not sure if nominated or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right with who won but the song Bing sung was nominated. The song from Gilda didn’t get anything

      Delete
  6. Since I'm not at all a movie buff (despite enjoying your posts a lot) so I'm sure I'm totally wrong: I think Judy Garland won, Rita/Anita was nominated and Bing was shut out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s Birgit…the Judy song won, Bing’s was nominated and poor Mame didn’t get a thing.

      Delete
  7. Okay, I'll play. Hmmmm... I'll say 1 won, 2 wasn't nominated, ad 3 was. Random guesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s Birgit…you are right with Atcheson but Bing’s song was nominated whereas the Name song was nadda.

      Delete
  8. Hi Birgit,

    I'm almost positive On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe won. The Harvey Girls isn't the best Judy but it's a fun film and Angela is a picture in all her feathers and spangles! The really amazing thing is she was about 19 years old when she made the film!

    I'm unfamiliar with Bing's song though I've seen Centennial Summer (of course I did it stars my girl Linda Darnell!) and don't recall it there either though it's been many years since the last time I watched it. Anyway it's so obscure I'm guessing it's the one that was nominated and Put the Blame on Mame was shut out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s Birgit..you are right with all 3. I have to see Centennial Summer. I am lacking in Darnell films.

      Delete
  9. Also just a guess because I have only heard the Judy Garland song before. I say it won, Jack Benny nominated, and Rita Hayworth got nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT’s Birgit…you are correct but it was Bing Crosby singing not Jack Benny:))

      Delete
  10. I'm highly doubtful of my guesses, but I think that Bing won, Judy got nominated, and Rita didn't get anything.

    ReplyDelete