Thursday, July 27, 2023

Thursday Movie Picks: TV Edition-Con Artists

 


I am very late but we had a major travel day back home which took us about 8 1/2 hrs and it would have been 2+ hours longer f we took the 401 through Toronto because it is, frankly, nuts! It’s considered worse than the California freeways with the major congestion, the weavers and the high rate of speed…when you can speed which is usually over 140km hr. We try and do 120…if possible but it’s just crazy. Anyway, I had to think about this week, fast and am bummed that I still have yet to see any episodes of  “It Takes A Thief” that starred Robert Wagner so I found 3 that fit. Check out who else joined in on the fun over at the Brain child, Wandering Through The Shelves. Here re my 3…

1. REMINGTON STEELE-1982-1987

Stephanie Zimbalist plays a PI who creates her own agency but is not very successful until she invents Remington as the man behind the agency. When that happens, she becomes quite successful, sad but true,  but becomes perturbed when a thief, handsome, roguish and gentlemanly, steps in as Remington Steele. She keeps him on as the front to her agency but he becomes much more involved than she likes plus they both have an eye for one another. This made Pierce Brosnan a star and set him on his very highly successful road in acting. This was clever, fun and humorous. 

2. COUNTERSTRIKE-1990-1993

This starred Christopher Plummer as a very rich man who’s wife was brutally murdered in front of him and, once he recovers he starts his own task force to catch terrorists. He hires a man from Scotland Yard, played by Simon MacCorkindale  to be his right hand man who seeks out a thief who knows the underworld and where to get questions answered plus she is quite the beauty. Another is rescued from a South American prison since he is a mercenary who knows a thing or 2 about bombs, TNT etc… each episode we get to see how they work as a team to bring down the bad guys. It was a Canadian and French production that, I thought, was quite good.

3. GOOD BEHAVIOUR-2016-2017

This stars Michelle Dockery, fresh off of Downton Abbey as the imperious Lady Mary, to see her washing toilets in a icky diner. We realize that she is on parole because she is a conwoman who also has major addictions. Soon she goes back to her old ways and makes a mark on this dashingly, handsome man, played by ooh-La-La, Juan Diego Botto, taking him to her bed in quite the hot sex scene. The scenes work out well because part of this show is about her being a hot mess but another is her steamy life with this hitman. Oh, yea, he is a hitman who is really good for her and good at what he does but he has a heart. It’s very different and quite unique which is why it probably didn’t work…shame.

Which tv shows can you think of?

9 comments:

  1. Nothing is worse than California on any level.
    Remington Steele! Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine doing a long road trip ever again. I don't think I have ever seen any of these shows. I have seen It Takes a Thief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, Alex sure hates my state... But I'm still a proud Californian. (Your traffic sounds horrendous.)

    I loved Remington Steele. I couldn't quite get into Good Behavior, but I was aware of it. Haven't heard of your second choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do want to see Good Behaviour…here’s hoping it gets on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen any of your picks. The only thing that comes to my mind is Mission Impossible. In the old TV show they'd set up all sorts of cons and clever ruses.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw Remington Steele in reruns on cable. I have not even heard of the other two you mentioned or To Catch a Thief.

    On the other hand, I thought of Leverage, Burn Notice, and White Collar. All were cable shows and mostly on TNT, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love the show Leverage - a Robin Hood twist on the conman concept.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen any of your picks yet but I know my mum loved to watch Remington Steele when it was on TV.

    ReplyDelete