Thursday, July 25, 2024

Cottage Life

 


Before I forget, as I almost always do, yesterday’s Oscar, “Who won”  answer is  Elton John’s song from “Rocketman”, won the Oscar, “Into The Unknown” sung by Idina Menzel was nominated and Beyoncé got Nadda. Apparently, it was a huge snub and, maybe it is, but there ya go  with who won who got nominated and who got nuttin, honey.

Since I’m on a nice vacation, relaxing and eating like a queen, I decided to go the summer cottage route and I came up with these 3..

1. THE ENCHANTED COTTAGE-1945


This is a romance film with a twist. It stars Robert Young and Dorothy Maguire, he disfigured from the war and she is just considered..not good looking. Herbert Marshall is the narrator and friend of both and tells his guests about their love story. The ugly girl hides away with an older lady and takes care of a cottage for people who wish to stay there. Enter Robert Young, handsome and engaged to a beautiful woman but he is not put off of Dorothy and they can laugh. Time goes by, he now wants to rent the cottage alone telling his fiance to leave him be as well as his own mom because he is severely disfigured due to the war. The only contact he has is with Dorothy who feels she, herself, is disfigured. The two can talk and enjoy each other’s company and they one day realize that the cottage has made them both “beautiful”. They no longer hide from people and love going out and enjoying life. The cottage and their love has cured their “ugliness”. It is well acted, sensitive and a gentle film. They can’t really show how a veteran from WW1 or 2 would look like without a nose or jaw but it still gets the point across including that Dorothy Maguire is hardly ugly.

2. MR. HOBBS TAKES A VACATION-1962


Yes, I have spoken about this film more than once but it is just so much fun starring the great James Stewart as the head of a family and his lovely wife is played by the beautiful Maureen O’Hara. They book a summer cottage right on the ocean and have 2 of their kids with them, a young teen daughter embarrassed that she must wear braces and their youngest son who can’t get enough of TV. When they get to this huge cottage by the ocean, it is not move in and relax place. Aside from 10” of dust everywhere, the plumbing is icky as well as the electricity much to their son’s woe. Unbeknownst to Jimmy, his wife decided to invite their other 2 daughters, their husbands and kids which kiboshes Jimmy’s hope of a second honeymoon with his wife( despite the other younger kids with them). On top of everything, his son in law’s future boss and that man’s wife come for a visit  where Jimmy has to go bird watching( hilarious). They take their young daughter to a dance and Jimmy pays the men  to dance with his daughter. The one boy, Fabian, sings with her and has a great time that he gives the $5 back to dad. It’s a funny film and a heartwarming one the first of a few that Jimmy Stewart made in the 60s.

3. THE GREAT OUTDOORS-1988


This is not a great film but a fun flick made in the 80s with John Candy and Dan Ackroyd and in laws who decide to have a vacation together with their kids. John Candy and his wife are average middle class people with 2 sons where Ackroyd is married( to Annette Bening in her first film role) and they have twin girls that look like they came from that Hotel in the Shining. You follow their antics which involves water skiing, eating a huge steak and Bart The Bear along with some raccoons who think these people are quite stupid and they are not far off. It’s a fun movie but not one you think through. I love John Candy and will watch anything with him in it and miss this great Canadian to this day. 

What cottage movies can you think of?


13 comments:

  1. BIRGIT ~

    I've not seen the first one.
    The other two I thought were pleasant enough for a day with nut'n else to do but basically "one and done" kind of movies.

    At first, the only thing even remotely Cottage Life-like that came to mind was 'Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs'. But then I remembered that 'The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!' might actually fit this category, and I LOVE 'The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!' Helck, I even like typing 'The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!'. ;^)

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an inspired choice..Snow White...it works well this week. I haven't watched he'd Russians in a long, long time so I can't recall the cottage..I have to watch it again because it's funny.

      Delete
  2. Hi Birgit!

    “The Enchanted Cottage” is a sweet film with a dreamy quality and lovely performances by both the leads. I have read that it is Cher’s favorite movie and she tried for years to get a remake, in which she would star of course, off the ground to no avail.

    LOVE “Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation” even if Jimmy’s role doesn’t challenge him one iota but this was his follow up to “The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance” which was surely an emotional workout so perhaps he saw it as a chance to relax a bit and catch his breath. Along with the adorable “Dear Brigitte” it’s one of my favorite films from this period in his career.

    “The Great Outdoors” did not do much for me. It was okay the one time I watched it but that was really enough. John Candy was an exceptionally talented comedic actor so it’s terribly sad he was so short lived.

    The very first film that came instantly to mind when I saw the theme (along with that great song “A Cottage for Sale”) was the obscure 1944 film “Destiny” starring Gloria Jean, the singer Universal tried unsuccessfully to take up Deanna Durbin’s mantel when she moved into adult roles. She plays a blind girl who can communicate with animals and lives in a secluded cottage in the woods with her grandfather. One day a falsely accused drifter (Alan Curtis) shows up on the run and plans to rob them but during his stay begins to fall under her spell. The film was originally planned as a shorter vignette to be included in the big budget 1942 film “Flesh and Fantasy” but was snipped out and expanded.

    It's a bit of a stretch maybe but I think the glorious 1995 “Sense and Sensibility” fits because the Dashwoods after being driven out of their home by the rapacious Fanny end up in what is frequently referred to in the movie as a “snug” cottage on their cousin Sir John Middleton’s estate. It is in fact a lovely house, but I can see how the characters would view it differently considering where they started out.

    My last is the 1980 TV film “The Shadow Box” directed by Paul Newman and starring Joanne Woodward, Valerie Harper, Sylvia Sidney and Christopher Plummer. It’s a heavy drama about three terminal patients living in cottages on the grounds of a hospital who have agreed to be part of a psychological program to probe the effects of dying on them and their family members. Beautifully acted but rather grim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enchanted Cottage is enchanting..nyuck, nyuck. I think you’re right re: Jimmy Stewart and he was done playing romantic leads so this was perfect for him. I agree that this Candy flick is not the best and, actually, those girls creep me out but it works for this week and it came into my head. Funny, when one spoke to the people where this was filmed, they loved John Candy hut couldn't stand Annette Bening who acted very aloof.

      Delete
  3. I haven’t even heard of any of these! The only thing I can think of is Random Harvest where they rent a cottage but it’s not a holiday cottage. Very sentimental though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This works and it's a good film. I think you might like the first 2 films.

      Delete
  4. I've heard of all three but haven't seen them. The last one is the kind of movie that I just cringe through, so I don't think I'd enjoy it. I can't think of any cottage movies, but this does make me think of all those movies where some woman goes to Italy in the summer and has a romantic adventure. I think I can recall three of those from the '60s...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, skip the last one but the first 2 are worth seeing. Love If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium and Under The Tuscan Sun that comes to mind as well as 3 Coins in the Fountain.

      Delete
  5. I loved The Great Outdoors and John Candy. Hope today is a pain free one. Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This movie is just OK for me but I adore John Candy. I love Candy and Bart the Bear but those 2 girls...shudder..lol. nope bad today, pain wise but this bad pain should ebb.

      Delete
  6. What gal has a chance when Dorothy McGuire's considered unattractive, Birgit? Oy vey.
    I haven't seen any of these, but I always have fun reading and viewing your posts. Be well, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not seen Enchanted Cottage, but it sounds interesting. Can't imagine how anyone could consider Dorothy McGuire 'ugly'! Mr. Hobbs and The Great Outdoors were enjoyable, but my favourite John Candy vacation film is Summer Rental. Trailer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. Hobbs sounds like a good one. I love Jimmy Stewart and Maureen O'Hara. I'm sure the fur babies were thrilled to see you:)
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete