Thursday, July 4, 2024

Rendezvous Movies

 


Yesterday, I wrote about songs with a Rendezvous as the theme and it made me think about movies with this as a big part of the plot. So here are my 3 films that came, right away, into my head when I thought of that word…rendezvous…

1. BRIEF ENCOUNTER-1945


This is the first film that popped into my head and it is a brilliant film that does not age. It does not involve 20 something, beautiful kids but middle aged, real people in real situations. Celia Johnson is in a happy marriage but she feels a bit stifled, like she’s missing something. At the train station, she gets something in her eye and a kindly doctor, played by Trevor Howard, helps get that speck of dirt out of her eye. They talk and, instantly, they feel a strong attraction. Over time, they continue to meet at the train station and fall in love. They decide to consummate their love but her guilt takes control. It’s brilliantly acted, the storyline is perfect because it happens today. She’s in a good marriage, married to a kind man but we can’t control emotions. It’s a must see film.

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS-1951


This film, arguably, won the Best Picture Oscar and it’s a worthy contender even if I don’t think it should have won. This film musical is famous for the 20 minute ballet set to Gershwin music with impressionist paintings as backdrops. It’s original and inventive even for today. Gene Kelly is an American trying to make it as a painter, in Gay Paris, along with his piano composer friend, Oscar Levant ( he always brings great sarcasm to the screen). At a nearby Cafe, they meet up with their famous cabaret friend who talks about his love for a girl who is perfect in every way. At a party, Gene meets a girl, Leslie Caron, and wants to know her even more. After some misunderstandings, they meet under the bridge along the Seine and have a loving rendezvous. He soon learns that she is his friend’s girlfriend and is devastated. The climatic ballet is one you can watch all on its own and it is brilliant, but I always loved this simple scene of the 2 who meet and dance under the bridge,

3. SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE-1993


I’m finally talking about this film which is a remake of  the Cary Grant/Deborah Kerr film, “an Affair To Remember” which is a remake of “Love Affair” that starred Gene Arthur and Charles Boyer. This is a sweet film that stars Tom Hanks as a bereaved widower who is still dealing with the loss of his wife. He has a precocious son who feels his dad needs to find a new woman to fall in love with. The boy calls onto a radio show and Tom ends up on the radio talking about his wife whom he loves. Now, every woman wants to meet this man including news woman, Meg Ryan. As she looks into this story she becomes more enamoured with Tom Hanks. The kid believes they need to meet on top of the Empire State Building like in the Grant/Kerr film and makes sure this will happen. It’s a wonderful romance comedy which was a big theme in the 1990s and often did star Meg Ryan. This is one of her better films.

So what films makes you think of rendezvous?

12 comments:

  1. Second blog I’ve read in two days featuring Brief Encounter! Apparently there is a heritage centre in the station where it was made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Birgit,

    Brief Encounter is indeed a beautifully wrought masterpiece of longing and mixed emotions with exquisite performances by everyone but no one is better than Celia Johnson.

    I don't know if Sleepless in Seattle is so much a remake of An Affair to Remember as a fresh idea inspired by that film. Whatever it is, the film is a gentle charmer with near career best performances by the two leads, a delightful turn from Rosie O'Donnell and a wonderful audience surrogate in Jonah played so well by Ross Malinger.

    I don't know if you remember my piece on An American in Paris for Dell's Against the Crowd feature but I HATE THAT MOVIE!!!

    Ironically I watched a French movie yesterday starring George Sanders (it was his birthday), along with Annie Girardot called Rendezvous! So I decided to list three with that title even though they don't all refer to the word in the romantic assignation way.

    The French one from yesterday was very much about romantic contretemps with melodramatic complications including murder and an overwrought finale.

    Next is the 1935 film Rendezvous starring William Powell and Rosalind Russell (playing a socialite named Joel!) as well as Binnie Barnes. The leads of course have a romantic underlying story but they find themselves involved with a spy ring.

    The third is another French film, this one directed by Eric Rohmer titled Rendezvous in Paris which is a trio of vignettes of what happens on three dates in the title city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that Celia is the actor in BRIEF Encounter albeit the whole ensemble is brilliant.
      You're right that Sleepless is not A remake but inspired by that film even showing clips From it but I was thinking where they were meeting.
      Oh yeah....I forgot you hate this movie. I wish you could send me the link. I forget why you hate it so. It should not have won best picture.
      I was thinking of rendezvous films because I like the Powell and Russell film. I have not seen the others but I love George Sanders and would love to see it. I haven't seen the French film but Rendezvous in spy films are huge.

      Delete
  3. I loved Sleepless in Seattle. Excellent pic.
    Hope you are well.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm good! Pain but I'm good and glad you like Sleepless...it is good

      Delete
  4. Sleepless in Seattle, one of my favorite movies of all time. What I love most about both it and American in Paris is the soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...Sleepless is good...so sweet and needed now more than ever. Yes, the soundtracks on both would be great especially American in Paris

      Delete
  5. Your first pic sounds familiar, but I don't remember seeing it. Must look for it now. ☺ Even though I'm not a fan of musicals in general, I love all of Gene Kelly's. including this one. 'Sleepless in Seattle' was good too, as are the movies it was based on. What about 'Avanti!' (1972), starring Jack Lemmon and Juliet Mills? One of my favourites. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Yes! Avanti is excellent. I totally forgot about this film. I laughed when Lemmon held up his socks in front of Juliet mills' nipples

      Delete
  6. BIRGIT ~

    The one movie that immediately jumped into my mind when I read the word "rendezvous" in your title was 'AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER'. (No surprise there, I suppose.)

    I like Gene Kelly (my Ma LOVED him!) but I'm kind of "Eh" about 'An American In Paris'. Don't hate it, but don't need to see it a second time, either.

    I don't recall having seen 'Brief Encounter'. I'll look to see if any of my cable channels have that one for free.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would really like BRIEF Encounter. I hope you get to see it. Yes, an Affair To Remember is perfect for this but I went Sleepless

      Delete