Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Tropical Paradise

 


This was taken 2 years ago by my friend VJ when he was in Malaysia and islands around the area. He loves the tropics and that stifling heat which I hate. This week, over at Monday Music Moves Me ( which is the wonderful Cathy at Curious as a Cathy), it’s about the tropical paradise we all think we love. I love it, by a pool for, maybe, 2 weeks and then, get me home to cooler weather. The songs, that I chose, are the first 3 that came into my head…

1. WE’RE HAVING A HEAT WAVE SUNG BY MARILYN MONROE-1954

Leave it to Marilyn to make this sound more than just a heat wave. This come from the film musical “There’s No Business Like Show Business” that starred Ethel Merman who made this song her signature song from the 1930s and Ethel Waters introduced the song back in 1933. It was written by the legendary Irving Berlin and it is a well known song of his.

2. SING A TROPICAL SONG SUNG BY THE ANDREW SISTERS-1944


The famous Andrew Sisters were huge during the war years and this song, written by Frank Loesser and Jimmy McHugh, was another hit for them. Carmen Miranda also sang this song but I could not find it via my blog. It’s on YouTube but when I try to enter it on my post, it would not be found so I went with the wonderful sisters.

3. I LEFT MY HAT IN HAITI SING BY FRED ASTAIRE-1951

This song is, apparently, written by Fred Astaire, and it is from the film Royal Wedding co-starring Eleanor Powell as his kid sister ( very kid sister) who appears here. It’s a fun, nonsense song but it showcases some an entertaining number which includes a monkey that, if you watch closely, takes a strike at Fred but, thankfully, misses. 

So what fun tropical paradise song can you think of…



5 comments:

  1. We are certainly in the middle of a heat wave over here Birgit…at last summer has arrived I have that marlin monroe song as an ear worm for the rest of the day xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta be Wham! - Club Tropicana. Or something from South Pacific?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only recognized 'Heat Wave' - a perfect song for our current weather! I know you don't like that, Birgit, but it's supposed to 'cool down' for the weekend. ☺ The first song that came to mind was 'Kokomo' by the beach boys. LINK

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are under another heat advisory today (though the heat isn't like many other parts of the United States) so the first song was perfect. I didn't know the next two. The monkey in the Left my Hat in Haiti movie didn't look too happy overall. I loved the last video because I love Bugs Bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tropical songs... so many...

    There are a couple of Filipino bands I really like. I recommend checking out both Imago and Eraserhead.

    I love Brazilian jazz. Joāo Gilberto is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete