Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Camping Songs??

 


My friend, out in Vancouver, was biking and came across this family. He just remained calm and took a couple of videos and pics. He sees bears quite a bit. My ex was camping up north a few years back and he took his bike to go to the loo, at night, when he stopped to check out his chain. He heard something in front of him when he noticed it was a black bear crossing the roadway. If he hadn't stopped he would have literally run right into the bear. Yesterday  travelling on the nutty QEW, I kept seeing tons of campers heading off to Algonquin, Muskoka or anywhere up north and it made me think of camping songs. I don't know why 2 came into my head but they did while the 3rd is goofy but fun. I am joining up with Monday Music Moves Me over at Curious as A Cathy. Here's my 3

1. HOME ON THE RANGE SUNG BY DER BINGLE-1933


I heard Bing Crosby's voice with this old song  that probably predates 1874, and has become a Cowboy standard. I seem to recall a scene in MASH where Col. Blake is drunker than a skunk and sings the first verse blowing his inebriated air into Hawkeye's face which totally cracked me up.  Apparently, this was written by Daniel Kelley(music) and Brewster Higley(lyrics). There was some controversy back in the 30s about who actually wrote it.

2. DON'T FENCE ME IN SUNG BY BING AND THE ANDREW SISTERS-1944


I must have Bing in my head because that's what I'm going with. This was written by Cole Porter! The lyrics were co-written with Robert Fletcher. It might be about relationships but I think of the great outdoors.

3. GOING CAMPING SUNG BY JOHN DENVER AND THE MUPPETS-1982


I watched this when it first came out and loved it, of course. I found out the album was nominated for a Grammy! Who knew?!

Sing any camping songs?

14 comments:

  1. Hi Birgit!

    That's a tough category and not being a camper even more so. I have done both the all out sleeping in the tent in the woods roughing it thing (NOT a fan) and the more luxe campground with showers and a working toilet up the lane when we used to go whitewater rafting (better but nothing I'd run back to do now) so I've given it a chance but it's the hotel, motel, B&B for me from now on.

    Your second choice was the first thing I thought of, this inimitable version as well. Love Bing, Adore The Andrews Sisters!

    Home on the Range does evoke that camping under the stars feeling and ranch hand way of life.

    I hadn't heard the John Denver song before but it's right on the nose!

    Aside from Bing and the girls singing about fences I'm a bit stymied but I think these two sort of work in a roundabout way.

    The fun nonsense song "Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah" is really about being away at camp but I think that would fit in.

    Back to John Denver, Take Me Home Country Roads isn't really about camping but it has that open road feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love camping but I need a place with nice touletsand showers. I was at one site where there more big ugly Spiders the bathrooms so I sponged bathed...not a fan. I love John Denver so his take me home workaholic well.
      I love the hello muddah song...funny!

      Delete
  2. Almost hitting a bear while riding a bike. Yikes.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We once tent camped in a spot that was miraculously open in an almost full campground. It had several trees that were shredded - we found out the next day that grizzly bears probably did that. Gulp. I would have wanted to be far away from any bear family. Camping - it's about sleepaway camp not the camping you are thinking of but Allan Sherman's Camp Granada/Hello Muddah Hello Faddah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great choice! Yikes!! I don't think I would have wanted to camp there.

      Delete
  4. I am not a camper, but I enjoyed those songs. I had never heard the John Denver song before, but those muppets always steal my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched this way back when it was on TV..I loved it..the Muppets are great.

      Delete
  5. Lovely mewsic and Granny also remembers the John Denver and the Muppets...MOL...Double Pawkisses for a Happy Weekend🐾😽💞

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun picks. We didn't sing these while camping, but then again, we didn't have computers with us when these songs were fresh! ;)



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...now the kids just look at their phones.

      Delete
  7. When I was a kid, I did some light camping in Girl Scouts, mostly in the Den Masters back yard but we did go to a state park a few times and then there's my best friend who had a small tent that we slept in on the weekends in her parents' yard. That was a lot of fun. After we got married, our first anniversary we went hiking on an over night trail with some friends. That was strenuous activity for a first timer. I did not enjoy carrying a heavy backpack, tramping through the woods, blisters on my feet, mosquito bites all over my arms, the dirt, sweaty conditions at all. By the time we reached our over night target to set up our tent I was so exhausted that I crawled inside falling fast to sleep. I remember waking briefly for dinner but I couldn't eat a single thing because I was too tired. The next day, the hike out wasn't quite as bad but it was hot and humid and very tiring. Before we left the park, we took a quick swim in their pool and grabbed something to eat. When I got home, DH found a hitch hiker on my back - a tick. I was sore, too tired to move, so I just let him remove it. I won't ever, ever do that sort of thing again. :)

    Anywho, you came up with a really cool theme and song picks. Thanks for joining the party and sharing the fun, my dear! XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many yrs. ago when I was in day-camp I remember a few things, but not much! Never went camping though. I guess that just wasn't my cup of tea or my Mom's. We just did stuff like going off to the park with my friends or swimming. That's it. I had a good childhood though.

    ReplyDelete