Thursday, August 10, 2023

Thursday Movie Picks- Workplace-The Female Experience

 


I was writing about strong women and had a theme within a theme but decided to keep this for next week so I fell back with the top 3 films that popped into my head. I bet all 3 will be popular this week. He’d on over to Wandering Through The Shelves to find out if these films were picked by others. Here are my 3…

1. 9 TO 5-1980

This is a fun comedy starring  Dolly Parton, Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin as 3 women who work in a big office where their boss is a real jerk, played perfectly by Dabney Coleman. To say he would have been keelhauled during the Me too movement would be an understatement  but these gals must have written the book on how to deal with a sexist jerk and exact their revenge with hilarious results. I have to see this movie again.

2. WORKING GIRL-1988

This stars drug-addled Melanie Griffith, oops! She was full of coke and heroine off screen not on, who  is the main secretary to Sigourney Weaver, a top woman exec who is going on a ski trip in Switzerland. Due to certain circumstances, Melanie decides to portray a top exec to sell her idea to top business guys and ends up meeting Harrison Ford. They get it on, in more ways than one, not knowing that he is Siggie’s boyfriend. This is a fun movie that is not to be taken seriously especially when you see some of the 80s hair. A good cast and love the top song.

3. THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA-2006

Ok, I have seen this flick that stars Meryl strip..um, Streep as a pseudo Anna Wintour who heads a major fashion magazine. She hires Anne Hathaway who wishes she could be anywhere else but there because she imagines being the next Dorothy Parker. When Stanley Tucci, who works at the magazine, tells her to smarten up, Anne ends up wearing some great outfits and outdoes herself as the assistant. It’s better than I thought it would be but it’s not a great film. There are some holes in this flick…I don’t care for her boyfriend or her friends who seem to be judgemental jerks to be honest. My favourites are Emily Blunt as the co-assistant and Stanley Tucci as the loyal helper of Streep. As for Streep…she plays the part but I don’t think it’s a huge reach to play a cool, snooty bitch. Ooops, did I say that out loud…hahahaa

Which 3 would you choose?

26 comments:

  1. Amazing - that's the three movies I thought you'd pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We match on the 3rd pick! I kind of gloomed and doomed this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Birgit - all great movies ... fun to watch - yet down to earth - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes..you're right! I didn't think in that way but I love it.

      Delete
  4. I actually liked the movie "The Devil Wears Prada" better than the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie is good, not great but it is good and love Wmily Blunt

      Delete
  5. I've seen all three of those. Great picks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So tell me what you REALLY think of Streep (grin). The only one I've seen is 9 to 5. I saw it on TV years ago. About all I really remember is Dolly Parton singing the title song. It was my first thought when I saw the theme this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You saw one! Yippee!! The song became a big hit

      Delete
  7. Wow, 2 out of 3 picks we share. All 3 amazing films.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Birgit!

    A day late but here I am! Love the first two films and like the third!

    Who would have thought 9 to 5 would have started a little cottage industry of costarring projects (albeit decades on) for Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin with Dolly popping in and out! All three are marvelous in the film with Dolly a natural right from the start. I think though it’s Lily’s film ultimately since Violet is the real mover and shaker of the trio.

    I’m not the biggest Melanie Griffith fan but she is perfectly suited to the part of Tess. It’s a nice showcase as well for Harrison and Sigourney’s comic chops which neither get a chance to flex that often.

    Meryl looms so large over Devil Wears Prada it’s hard to remember anyone else but both Emily Blunt and Stanley Tucci do manage to own their space. Anne Hathaway however is overshadowed.

    My first thought was His Girl Friday and doing a Rosalind Russell theme since the boss lady was her gig in the 40’s but I could only find one other film that really fit. So, I turned to the secretarial pool which made it much easier!

    Secrets of a Secretary (1931)-Claudette Colbert stars as a society girl who becomes a social secretary when her father dies penniless only to discover her ex-husband is blackmailing her employer’s daughter. Claudette straightens things out and of course finds love along the way.

    His Private Secretary (1933)-Small town girl Marion Hall (Evalyn Knapp) elopes with playboy Dick Wallace (a 26-year-old John Wayne!) and wants to settle down but his businessman father, who’s never met Marion, thinks she’s a gold-digger. She takes a job in his office under her maiden name to prove she’s worthy.

    More Than a Secretary (1936)-When Carol Baldwin (Jean Arthur) co-owner of a secretarial school visits magazine editor Fred Gilbert (George Brent) to find out why he runs through secretaries, she's mistaken for an applicant. Challenged, she accepts the position, sets the magazine back on its feet while Fred and she bicker until they fall for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joel!! Look at me write...it's about time eh?! I love all your comments.ents and wealth of info. Before I start here...love what you wrote about Frederic March and,yes, I know what Veronica Lake did and thought that was perfect. I have to see some of you March pics.
    I enjoyed what you wrote on my last post too.
    Meryl does Com.and a presence but I still say she is over-rated and I don't believe she never knew any about Weinstein. I can't see how she wouldn't know given the industry. I could be very wrong and eat my words but i just cant believe she never heard the runours in Hollywood. Anyhoo, I am not a Griffith fan either but this was a good movie and wish Ford would have done more of these.
    Of course, I haven't seen any of these but I added it to my book of movies to see. I know what you mean about John Wayne...only 26!? I always think ofhim as older because he has that type of face.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the first two. Have a great weekend.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Out of the three, I've only ever watched "The Devil Wears Prada". I can always count on you to give me new movie recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw 9 to 5 when it first came out and then my wife and I watched it on TV fairly recently. That's a good pick. So are your other two. Haven't seen them, but I'm well aware of them. I tend to avoid movies with Meryl Streep. I'm not her biggest fan either.

    As usual, I've seen a number of films that might fit this category, but nary a one comes to mind at the moment.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  13. BIRGIT ~

    I haven't seen *any* of your 3 picks this time. That's unusual.

    'HIS GIRL FRIDAY' immediately came to my mind (*love* that movie!) And then I thought of 'ALTERED STATES'. In that one, however, the "office" the woman works in is the great outdoors (she's an archaeologist).

    After scratching my head to come up with a third choice, I thought of 'THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS'. Martha (Barbara Stanwick) practically owns & runs the whole town. A mostly unknown / underrated film.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just thought of His Girl Friday the instant before I saw Stephen's comment!

    These are all classics. I admit, I've only seen the first two. 9 to 5 - really, the theme song is worth the whole movie. Dolly sure knows how to kick off a tune:

    Tumble out of bed
    And stumble to the kitchen
    Pour myself a cup of ambition
    And yawn and stretch and try to come to life...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’ve seen all of your picks and even have the first one as my pick as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We've seen all of these films. "9 to 5" is a fun, old movie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dolly Parton is amazing, isn't she? Singer, song writer, actor, co-writer and humanitarian.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Birgit. Sorry it's been so long since I've dropped by. I have missed you. As far as movies, I pretty much agree. 9 to 5 was lots of fun, but The Devil didn't do it for me.
    Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great picks! I haven't seen the Dolly Parton movie yet but I would love to.

    ReplyDelete