Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Harvest in August

 


Isn't he a cutie? To say he got easily spooked is an understatement but he was so much fun to watch. Hi is my hubby's Aunt and Uncle's pussycat, Pinot. He got his name because he hid behind the Pinot Noir when they first brought him home. Anyhoo, I always think of harvest time when we enter August. I don't know why but I do and thought of songs. 2 came into my head right away but I got stumped with the third so I found this one I never heard of and I like it. I'm joining Monday Music Moves Me over at Curious As A Cathy. 

1. UNDER THE HARVEST MOON- SUNG BY TIRILLMOHN-2019

I think this is from 2019, please feel free to correct me. The song is a an English folk song that I never heard of before but I find it quite fetching. This lady, Tirill, is Norwegian and delivers a pretty rendition of this folk song.I do love folk songs.

2. SHINE ON HARVEST MOON SUNG BY LEON REDBONE-1976

This is a song from 1908 written by the married team of  Nora Bayes and Jack Norworth for the Ziegfeld Follies. This has been sung by many people from Ruth Etting to Doris Day but I always liked Leon Redbone. He’s got such a great voice and it is so unique.

3. HARVEST MOON SUNG BY NEIL YOUNG-1992

I picked Neil Young…his voice is something to get used to but I like it better than Bob Dylan. I actually though he wrote this song back in the late 60s or early 70s. 

What Harvest songs come into your mind? What makes you think of August? 

9 comments:

  1. What a great name for the cat! He's adorable. As for these songs, #1 is definitely my favorite. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's a great name for a cat! He's a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What eyes! Also, I’ve always liked that Neil Young video for Harvest Moon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute kitty! Leon Redbone was one of my faves. He did a beautiful rendition of "Are You Lonesome Tonight"... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd0fr5LKhUU

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute cat and I love the name! ☺ The English folk song is new to me. Mystical! ♥ Leon Redbone was one of a kind, for sure. Great cover! I adore Neil Young, despite his voice (and yes, better than Dylan's!). He's such a brilliant musician! Excellent video, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cat is precious but I'm a cat person.

    The only song I'd heard of was Shine On Harvest Moon. I have no idea what harvest songs to share, because I don't think I know any.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pinot - such a cute name for a cat. Unique voices. I don't always like them but two I do like is Leonard Cohen and yes, Leon Redbone. I was familiar with his cover of that song. The only other harvest song I know is a hymn, Bringing in the Sheaves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Pinot! He's really a cutie for sure. Harvest Moon is a good theme for your music picks. I think my favorite is Leon Redbone's "Shine On Harvest Moon". I liked that he sang his version in a vintage style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pinot is absolutely adorable. I love the story behind his name. Interesting songs! Before now, I don't think I've heard any songs related to the Harvest Moon.

    ReplyDelete