Thursday, August 24, 2023

Thursday Film Picks- girl Teachers

 


I would never want to be a teacher....never. I would want to strangle many of those kids. I applaud teachers who must deal with so much. Here, they are talking about having the kids give up their cell phones when they enter class...YESSSSS! I am going to talk about teachers and am centering on the women who often make up this employment sector so, here are my 3...

1. THESE THREE-1936

I fell in lust with Joel McCrea when I saw this film even though I was a kid. Ok, I thought he was dreamy but I’m talking about the film not hubba hubba so this film is based on a Lilian Hellman play about a nasty kid ruining the reputation of 2 teachers saying they are in a lesbian relationship. We can’t have that for 1936, so it changes where the womens’ reputations are hurt when the doctor( McCrea) falls asleep in a chair in one of the teacher’s rooms and the brat decides to create an uproar saying he stayed overnight. The 2 teachers are played by the beautiful Merle Oberon and Miriam Hopkins, known to have been a very difficult person to work with. The 2 women teachers are friends who decide to open up a school for girls and the doc falls for Oberon and vice versa neither knowing that Hopkins has also fallen for the Doc. The one who notices all is Slytherin bitch Bonita Granville, an excellent child actress who almost steals the picture from the 3 leads with her vile character. This is an excellent film which was remade as “The Children’s Hour” with Audrey Hepburn, Shirley MacLaine and James Garner as the leads but I’m sticking with the original version of the book since I still have to see the remake.

2. TEACHER’S PET-1958

This is a fun comedy that stars Doris Day as the teacher and Clark Gable as the student…yes, student. Gable plays an old-fashioned, hard-hitting newspaperman who thinks the new style of writing the news is dumb as sh&@). His editor gives him the wonderful news story to look into this new way and to look into a journalism class and report on it. Reluctantly, he goes only to find Ms. Day making fun of his own article he had written. He decides to fib, saying he wants to learn about journalism and takes her class. Of course, the 2 start to fall for one another with Gig Young coming between the 2 as her shrink boyfriend. It’s funny and enjoyable especially Gig Young as the amiable boyfriend which he perfected in the 50s ( belying his true personality which was an alcoholic who abused his wife, Elizabeth Montgomery and ended up murdering his new young wife and then killing himself in 1978..a real shame).

3. THE INNOCENTS-1961

This eerie and quite scary film stars Deborah Kerr as a young governess sent by the cold uncle to teach his niece and nephew who are staying at his country estate since he has no real care about them but was left in charge of them when the8r parents died. When she comes to the estate and meets the kids, they seem ok, at first, but they seem to live within themselves and have secrets. Soon you learn that the former governess and the valet had a torrid affair where both died soon after but they are far from gone. They seem to be connected to the children and rule the kids. Kerr sees the 2 spectres and tries to get the kids to admit to seeing them but they refuse. Let me tell you, when I watched this and saw the ghost of the woman, in her black outfit standing at the water’s edge, it totally freaked me out and even now, I’m uncomfortable thinking about that scene. The whole film is, to me, one of the scariest films and it has no special effects or typical scenes one expects but just simple scenes like the one I described, frankly, Deborah Kerr played a teacher more than once…”Black Narcissus”  and “The King and I” are 2 i could have chosen but I wanted to choose this one since she does try and teach the kids in more than one way.

Which teachers in films can you think of?

Oh, the songs, from yesterday’s post that won, nominated and got nuttin? Talk To The Animals won the Oscars, Bare Necessities was nominated and To Sir, With Love got nadda! There was a huge stink about this back in the day.

15 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I'm definitely not good teacher material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also applaud teachers because my stint as one during COVID was rough lol. I haven't seen any of these picks today...but Clark Gable as a student? Isn't he always 40? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaaa...he is always 40 but this is a night class for grown ups and he needs to grow up.lol

      Delete
  3. Teaching is such a tough gig. Kudos to anyone who works at it seriously, and shame on the many who despise it and the kids they teach but stick with it for tenure making both themselves and worse the children in their charge miserable and not really teaching anything.

    Despite the Code enforced diluting of the story “These Three” is a better more impactful version of the story than the later Children’s Hour. Some of that can be laid at Bonita Granville’s feet, the girl in the remake is hateful but not nearly as memorable as Bonita. Odd since Wyler directed both but the latter, while not a bad film is missing some component. Interesting that he brought back Miriam Hopkins in a different role in the remake. He was apparently one of the few directors she would knuckle down and behave for.

    It’s not one of Doris or Gable’s films that I return to often, but Teacher’s Pet is a pleasant trifle benefiting from their unexpected chemistry. It was roles like the one Gig Young played here, the facile but second banana, that he felt limited his career and drove him into the bottle to cope. Very sad he was a performer of great skill.

    Love this version of The Innocents! This is one of the performances that should have snagged Deborah Kerr a nomination, despite her impressive number of them she often received them for the wrong roles. I agree it is a deeply unsettling film and the black & white photography perfect for setting that mood.

    A nice theme and for once I had a super-sufficiency of choices which made choosing three both simple and difficult. Settled on this trio.

    Cheers for Miss Bishop (1941)-Told in flashback the film follows Ella Bishop (Martha Scott) from her early years as a student through her life teaching college and the difficulties along the way, both in her career and private life until she learns how much value she has brought to so many lives.

    Up the Down Staircase (1967)-Following the first year of new teacher Sylvia Barrett (Sandy Dennis) in a tough inner-city school. It’s rough going at first when Sylvia deals with apathetic faculty, gifted but troubled students and an administration that drowns its staff in paperwork. She perseveres and as she and the students come to an understanding of each other she finds her purpose. The best performance that Sandy Dennis ever gave in film.

    The Corn is Green (1945)-Upon inheriting a house and property in a small Welsh village spinster schoolteacher Miss L.C. Moffat (Bette Davis) is determined to educate the town's illiterate children. Establishing a school, she must do battle with the small-minded local squire (Nigel Bruce) who sees no value in the miner’s education. In short order she discovers one student, Morgan Evans, has tremendous potential and enlists all around her to see it come to fruition. A good film though Bette is a bit young for Miss Moffat. Kate Hepburn (under George Cukor’s direction) made a superior version as a telefilm in the late 70’s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wondered about that remake because I tried to watch it but it seemed..glum. I enjoyed Teacher's Pet but I think Gig had a lot more issues than feeling deprived of a great acting gig. I so agree with you about Kerr's performance in this amazingly scary film.
      I think I saw your first pick but so long ago that I need to see it again. I still have to see your other 2 picks with The Corn is Green up there for me.

      Delete
    2. Up the Down Staircase immediately came to mind with me. I saw it a few times when I was young. This along with a few other movies were in a regular television rotation back in the day.

      Delete
  4. Have not seen your first two picks, but I'm pretty sure I've seen The Innocents at least once in the past. I recall reading Turn of the Screw by Henry James in high school or college and became aware of this movie version at that time. Probably saw it back then.

    I know this is a topic where many film choices might come up but for me the only thing that comes to mind are the Little Rascals and Our Gang comedies that featured the teachers Miss McGillicuddy and Miss Crabtree.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your choices of the Little Rascals. Funny that the one name is Lucille Ball's maiden name in I Love Lucy.

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I did not know that about Gig Young. Disturbing and sad.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...it is sad especially since he see.ed so amiable

      Delete
  6. Haven't seen your first choice but have seen the other two. Now I have to google Gig Young. Yikes. I only taught at the college senior level but I did have a student break into my filing cabinet and steal the exam. I don't know teachers handle younger miscreants.
    My first thought was The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie which I have yet to see. Still on my TBW list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Gig Young was not Mr. Amiable which is sad since he was, actually very dark.
      I have seen the Prime of Miss JB and was not a fan. I should watch it again through adult eyes.
      Ughh...I couldn't be a teacher, they'd string me up.

      Delete
  7. I've seen the 2nd one, but a long time ago, so I don't remember it well. As I have been dealing with 9th graders all week, I'd rather not ponder teachers in film at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have so much respect for teachers. Interesting movies -- but wow, The Innocents sounds chilling!

    ReplyDelete