Thursday, December 21, 2023

Thursday Film Picks- My Favourite Christmas Movies

 

I can’t believe we are a few days before Christmas arrives. The year feels like a slap in the face, at least for me. I decided to choose my favourite movies that I have been watching since I was a kid. I will say I have many others that I love like, “White Christmas”, “A Christmas Carol” with Alastair Sim, “A Christmas Story”, “Christmas Vacation”, “The Bishop’s Wife” with Cary Grant, “Holiday Inn”,  and so many more. I have not even mentioned the great TV specials that I grew up on…you know the ones⛄️๐ŸŽ…๐Ÿป๐ŸฆŒ

1. IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE-1946

Well, duh! LOL. Anyone who knows me, knows this is my favourite film…period! When I was young and bullied so, feeling that my family would be better off without me since I was told this repeatedly, I watched this film which was life changing. George Bailey had no idea how much he helped until an angel showed him the way. This is a great film and Jimmy Stewart is brilliant as George Bailey which he portrayed with more poignancy since he was dealing with PTSD at the time. 

2. GOING MY WAY-1944

I always think of this film as a Christmas movie because of the sweet ending and the musical pieces especially Ave Maria sung by Bing, the Boys Choir and the great Rise Stevens who, to me, is the best Carmen. I love how the young priest and old priest bristle at first but become so close at the end. This film won many Oscars including Oscars for the 2 leads.

3. MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET-1947

This is the best and the original of the story of Santa and how his good cheer and warm heart brought the Christmas spirit to, not only a disillusioned mother and her daughter, but to the whole city. Edmund Gwynn deserved the Oscar playing Santa and, when you see him talking to the huge crowd after the Macy’s Thanksgiving parade, there is no CGI or any other special effects, there were that many people greeting Edmund Gwynn as Santa. Maureen O’Hara plays an independent woman in an executive position which is pretty cool for this time. I just love the warmth and Christmas isn’t just a day but a state of mind. 


Merry Christmas to all of you!

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Birgit!

    I'm back for another visit to BBC, dear friend. (I "voted" in your Oscar song contest earlier this morning.) So happy to see this post featuring your favorite holiday films from Hollywood's golden era. Along with three you mentioned in the text, White Christmas, A Christmas Carol and Holiday Inn, I have seen all three of these, and love them as much as you do. Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed are all-time favorites, and I love the combo of the Binger and Barry Fitzgerald in Going My Way. I have watched 34th Street more often than any of the others because I love the story, the Santa and little Natalie Wood.

    Merry Christmas and happy New Year to you and my buddy Harley.
    Stay safe and well, and come see my last post of the year (now running) if you get a chance. Blessings to you, dear friend BB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot recall having seen It's a Wonderful Life until I was well into my thirties at least and maybe forties. Before cable and VHS tapes it was often hard to find where to see movies like that. Now I've watched so many of these and your three picks on TCM several times in some cases. Trying to recall what movies I would watch regularly for Christmas I don't think of any. I would watch plenty of Christmas specials on TV but no movies with a specific holiday theme.

    Now it's so easy to find just about any film that you'd want to see.

    Have a fantastic Christmas and may the coming year be blessed for you and your family.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Miracle on 34th St. and Going My Way from my childhood (seeing them on TV, I mean). I absolutely love Miracle on 34th St. I am not sure if I saw It's a Wonderful Life until I was an adult. I live about 90 minutes from a city in New York State that claims to be the inspiration for Bedford Falls in It's a Wonderful Life (Seneca Falls, New York) I've blogged about that city several times. Each December they have a festival and Karolyn Grimes (played ZuZu) has attended it for years. I've only been to the festival once (and no I didn't get to meet her, sadly).

    ReplyDelete
  4. All great classics! And I LOVE The Bishop's Wife. ♥ We have DVDs/BluRays and do a Christmas movie marathon every year. Merry Christmas, Birgit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE all three even if none would make my top 3. Wonderful Life has such a great message which remains timeless which is the secret to its durability.

    Going My Way is mile high corn but so charmingly done it is irresistible.

    This version of Miracle on 34th Street is incomparable with work by Edmund Gwenn and Natalie Wood that is impossible to match. I finally broke down and watch the Richard Attenborough remake from the 90's about two weeks ago and while it wasn't dreadful it was missing everything that makes this one so special.

    My top 3 are White Christmas, Christmas in Connecticut and the 1984 TV version of A Christmas Carol with a peerless turn by George C. Scott as Scrooge.

    Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Miracle on 34th and Wonderful Life.
    I hate that you were bullied as a child.
    I didn't know Jimmy Stewart was suffering from PTSD. But it makes sense.
    Hope you have wondrous holidays.
    Hugs, Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm movie-challenged and hadn't heard of Going My Way. It looks great.
    Have a fabulously Merry Christmas, Birgit.
    Stay naughty. I love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I had commented on this post. (Did I fall into your spam folder?)

    ReplyDelete