Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Which Song Won the Oscar-1942

 


Had a rough day today with clients. They were all nice but just very sad. One lady, in the span of a few weeks, back in 2022, lost her daughter to suicide, her brother died suddenly, her mother in law and a dear friend. Another client had her baby son in November but he died 4 days later on November 15th and she was still able to attend her meeting with me a Month later. Finally, I spoke with a client dealing with severe PTSD, anxiety, depression and other issues because, 3 years before her ex boyfriend tried to murder her on December 24th by repeatedly hitting her skull a dozen times and was stopped by a cop. If not for the cop, she would not be here but he is free because he comes from a very wealthy family who paid the million dollar bail and hired lawyers getting him off. Very sad day so I want to say thank you to everyone who provided some great music and showcased their furbabes plus made me laugh. 

Now, let’s see if you can guess which song won the Oscar, which one was nominated and which song got nadda…

1. WHITE CHRISTMAS SUNG BY BING CROSBY AND MAJORIE REYNOLDS

This is still the top selling song of all time written by Irving Berlin, a Jewish song writer, and one of the most famous of song writers. This song comes from the film, “Holiday Inn” starring Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire. I have no clue how many singers and musicians have sung this song but it is beautiful and I do consider it a Christmas Carol.

2. JINGLE, JANGLE, JINGLE SUNG BY KAY KYSER

This song is considered one of the most famous Western songs ever made written by Joseph J. Lilley and Frank Loesser from the film, “The Forest Rangers.” I’m certain we have all heard this song at one point in our lives

3. HOW ABOUT YOU SUNG BY MICKEY ROONEY AND JUDY GARLAND

I always loved this song that was written by Burton Lane with lyrics by Ralph Freed for the musical, “Babes on Broadway.” These 2 teens, yes, teens…well, young 20s, seem to enjoy singing this song and it’s another song that has been done many times over. I love the “I Love Lucy” episode where Lucy sings and dances with Van Johnson to this song.

Before anyone asks…I am not ready for Christmas…but I will be.

So who won the Oscar, which was nominated and which came up empty-handed?

8 comments:

  1. With absolutely no knowledge whatsoever I'll guess: White Christmas winner, Jingle Jangle Jingle nominated, How about You empty handed (too bad if so). I did know Jingle Jangle Jingle but I didn't know Kay Kyser did it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No idea about the songs, but so sad to read about your clients. It makes me appreciate my own simple but safe life even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Birgit,

    Sorry to hear you had a rough day. Hope the rest of the holidays are much happier!

    I'm sure White Christmas won since I've heard it referred to as an Oscar winner many times. I'm thinking the Judy/Mickey duet got a nod but the only Jingle, Jangle, Jingle sounds Kay heard was the cash registers ringing up the sales of the song and not award nomination gold. I did enjoy The Forest Rangers with my girl Susan Hayward when I watched it but I don't recall the song in the film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's quite the collection of clients. This time of year can be rough on people. I did not realize 1942 was so big on Christmas music, but considering the times, I shouldn't be that surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your clients are strong and resilient souls to handle such sadness and trauma, my gosh! As are you to absorb their emotions while you help them figure out their finances.
    I’ll say that White Christmas didn’t get an Oscar nod and that the cowboy song won.
    Happy Christmas, Birgit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only song I know if White Christmas. How could anyone not know that song? Have a fabulous holiday ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Birgit!

    I'm back for my three days of active duty on the blog circuit for the month of December, dear friend. I hope you and my buddy Harley are well and in good spirits. I don't envy you coming face to face with all those people in crisis. Dealing with a string of difficult cases like those you described must surely wear on you.

    In your song challenge, I am going to stick with #1, "White Christmas," as the Oscar Mayer Wiener. The classic holiday ballad was simply too big, too popular, too ubiquitous to have fallen short of the grand prize.

    I'm going to pick the wild card, the Western song that I recall from childhood, "I've Got Spurs That Jingle Jangle Jingle," as the nominee, and surmise that "How About You?," popular tho it might have been, was not nominated.

    My final post of 2023 is up and running, and I hope you can spare a few minutes to come by. I wish you and my buddy Harley the happiest and healthiest of holidays, dear friend BB, and look forward to continuing our wonderful friendship throughout 2024!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's safe to say White Christmas won the Academy Award. I'm guessing How About You was nominated. Those "Babes" movies were very popular and How About You has been recorded many times. That means Jingle Jangle Jungle got diddly squat, but it was popular so that's something.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete