Thursday, December 14, 2023

Thursday Movie Picks- Movies with Day or Night in the Title

 


I wanted to choose something related to Christmas and nothing horror, I’m just not into an evil Santa. I actually have chosen 2 films I haven’t seen…yet! Head on over to Wandering Through The Shelves to see what the others have chosen. Here are my 3…

1. REMEMBER THE NIGHT-1940

I have not seen this film and it’s a holiday film to boot! I’m certain Joel has seen it:). This film stars Barbara Stanwyck who is caught trying to steal a bracelet and Fred MacMurray as the prosecuting attorney who takes her on as his charge during the Christmas holidays. They go on a journey back to their families for Christmas with romance in tow. This film was written by Preston Sturges, the last one before he went on to directing and I really enjoy his work so this is a must see.

2. THE CROWDED DAY-1954

This is a British film that is an ensemble cast about a group of women who work at a department store during the Christmas season. One woman, engaged to a man who seems to love his old car more than her and another gal who is quite depressed and wondering about her life. These are just 2 but this film sounds like a good Christmas movie that is also forgotten today and one I want to see.

3. SILENT NIGHT-2002

This is a film I did see and I think it’s quite a good film somewhat based on a real event that was showcased on the tv show, “Unsolved Mysteries.” During Christmas, a German mother and son are living in a small cottage in the Ardennes Forest near the battle lines which happened to be the Battle of the Bulge. There is a knock on the door and it turns out to be 3 American soldiers and one is wounded. Despite the fear of death for helping the enemy, she welcomes them in and proceeds to help them during this Christmas Eve. Later, there is another knock on the door and there are 3 German soldiers. The German woman tell them to hand in their guns as it is Christmas, they all comply and proceed to enjoy Christmas Eve together sharing in a potato soup. This truly did happen but the film made things a bit more dramatic with an extra evil Nazi coming around to disrupt detente. It’s well acted and pretty cool that this truly did happen. 

What films can you think of with Day or Night in the title?

11 comments:

  1. Wasn't the original biography of Cole Porter, whivh starred Cary Grant and left out any discussion of Porter's sexual preference, called "Night And Day"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen any of your picks this week! I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be holiday themed or not. None of mine were. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not seen any of these. Can't think of any Christmas ones. First thoughts: Day of the Jackal, Groundhog Day, A Night to Remember

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen any of these. I like how you tied them to Christmas. I can't think of any movies off the top of my head, but I'm sure if I pondered it I could come up with some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saturday night fever - now I’ve got the bee gees as an ear worm. Gee thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No Christmas themed movies come to my mind at the moment, but I could probably come up with many that have day or night in the title:

    The Day After, The Day After Tomorrow, A Night to Remember, Night of the Living Dead, Day of the Dead--so many more!

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Remember The Night! That movie is so sweet. I'll have to see if I can find it to watch this weekend. I've also seen Silent Night and liked it. I can't think of any other Christmas movies with night or day in the title. Last weekend I watched The Muppet Christmas Carol. It's so good.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Birgit!

    I'm always glad to see a theme within a theme!

    I have indeed seen Remember the Night and it is quite a lovely film. Barbara and Fred have a very nice dynamic and the film provides an interesting contrast to how they interacted a few years later in Double Indemnity. Along with the appealing story the movie has a great supporting cast. It's one I'm sure you'll love once you get around to seeing it.

    I really liked The Crowded Day as well! It's veddy British and a bit tonally erratic bouncing from comic situations to near tragedy but overall a quite enjoyable film.

    The last one is new to me, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

    Lots of choices and ways to go with this! You have already covered the holiday aspect so I'll just stick to the general idea of the theme.

    Can't resist choosing "Night and Day" the 1946 almost completely fictionalized musical bio of Cole Porter with Cary Grant as Porter. The music is great, Alexis Smith is glamour itself as his wife and Monty Woolley is wonderful as...Monty Woolley! but as far as facts go it's a bunch of hogwash.

    Next would be the lesser known but nifty spiritualist Edward G. Robinson/Gail Russell 1948 film "Night Has a Thousand Eyes".

    For my third I'm heading all the way back to the first winner of all five of the big Oscar prizes, the highly amusing 1934 movie "It Happened One Night" with a saucy Claudette Colbert and hugely magnetic Clark Gable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't seen these ones. Happy Holidays, my friend.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The film "Silent Night" looks good. I will see if I can find it. The other two look good, too. I am going to add these to my list, as well. Thanks for sharing all of your movie picks. Have a very merry Christmas, Birgit!

    ReplyDelete