Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Fiction/Non Fiction People or Events In Song

 


Harley often rests his chin on my leg wanting a treat or to climb on top of me and pushing the cat off the couch. What a dog! OK...over at Monday Music Moves Me, the theme is to pick a song with a name or an event that's in song and I've chosen my 3...

1. GOODBYE ENGLAND’S ROSE SUNG BY ELTON JOHN-1997


When Diana died it sent Shockwaves around the world and, just like JFK's death, we all remember where we were when we heard the news( I was in my mom's tummy back in '63). Elton John was a close friend of Lady Diana so he rearranged the lyrics of his famous song, " Goodbye Norma Jean", which is about Marilyn Monroe, and played this at Diana’s funeral...the only time he played it. 

2. HEY JOE SUNG BY JIMI HENDRIX-1966


This is a famous tune made very famous by Jimi Hendrix. I heard this many times due to my brother, who loved, and still loves, Hendrix. He played it in his car on the way to school along with other songs from this amazing guitarist. This was the last song, played by Hendrix, at Woodstock!

3. VOGUE SUNG BY MADONNA-1990


This is when Madonna was at her peak before she looked like some circus freak. I loved dancing to this tune and mouthing the words when she gets to the classic film stars. Apparently, voguing was a dance craze with the gay scene...who cares where and great for them to start something iconic. I always tried, sadly, to vogue.

What songs come to your mind?

8 comments:

  1. I remember the night Princess Diana died.
    Yes, Madonna doesn't even look like a human being anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Birgit - yes I remember Diana's death I was on my way back from South Africa - left knowing it had happened, arrived realising it actually had. I can't dance - but love the tunes ... for some reason These Boots are Made for Walking came to mind today for another project ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in a hotel room when I saw the news. I stayed up all night watching the news, praying it would be all right in the morning, but sadly, we all know how that ended.
    To all celebs, I think it's better to just grow old with a bit of grace rather than doing so much work that you look more like a plastic doll than a human.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great examples of the theme. Elton's tribute to Princess Diana is lovely though I prefer the song in its original state.

    Jimi Hendrix was an amazingly talented man who was with us for a tragically short time but he did leave behind quite a legacy.

    I like all the name dropping in Vogue though I honestly don't like the song much at all. I've never been the biggest Madonna fan, some of her music is quite good and catchy but she always struck me as a pretty dreadful person. It's her business of course but her relentless plastic surgery has made her into a scarifying mannequin that barely resembles a human.

    The first three that come to mind are two by Don Mclean-"Vincent" about Vincent Van Gogh and "American Pie" about Buddy Holly and that takes me to the song that was a tribute to Don himself Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly With His Song".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Harley has the most adorable face, Birgit! ♥

    Love the first two songs - Madonna. not so much. ☺ Yes, she looks like something out of a horror movie now. Diana's death shocked the world and Elton's tribute was so touching! I share your brother's love for Jimi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember being the kitchen cooking, washing dishes, I don't remember what exactly but when the news came on it stopped me in my tracks. I was totally stunned and so saddened. I got up on early on the day she married Prince Charles just so I could see my first royal wedding televised. Sounds crazy now but I did it and am happy that I did. I hate when anyone dies but someone who still had so many years ahead of her taken too soon is a tragedy.

    Chasing after the fountain of youth through cosmetic procedures often go wrong leaving the person sometimes unrecognizable or not natural looking at all. I use to think wouldn't it be nice if I could fix this or that but the horrors of it all has pushed that stuff right out of my head. I'm accepting the signs of age as they come, hopefully, I others will say, "She's aged gracefully." :)

    Thanks for joining the 4M party, my dear. Have a boogietastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Princess Di - it was late at night, and my husband (who sometimes had to work nights at the time) was at work. I turned on the TV and there the news was. One song I thought of but didn't use was Elton John's Empty Garden, a tribute to John Lennon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They all bring back memories to me. My Grandfather was diagnosed with Cancer when we all watched Lady Di's funeral. It was heartbreaking on both sides. Jimi Hendrix was pawsome and Madonna...well...it looks like they don't know anymore what to do with their money, so they try to create something of themselves as an investment...MOL...Double Pawkisses for a Happy Day🐾😽💞

    ReplyDelete