Thursday, January 4, 2024

Thursday Film Picks-New Year’s

 


So Wandering Through The Shelves has decided to no longer continue her fun blog about films but I’m going to keep going and choose my own themes each week just because…I can. Thanks for the inspiration Ms.  Wandering and I hope you visit on occasion. I have chosen movies with a New Year’s theme/moment in the film and, yes, I stayed away from the movie “New Year’s” because I haven’t seen it yet. I know I got the title wrong but ..meh…anyhoo, here are my picks..

1. HOLIDAY-1938


I need to see this film again because it’s an under-rated gem starring 2 greats, Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant. Cary is a man who has decided to take a holiday from work but just as he makes this decision, he meets a beautiful, rich socialite and they quickly become engaged. They go back to her rich family’s house which is huge and filled with her oppressive dad, alcoholic brother and her older, carefree sister, played by Katherine Hepburn. During New Year’s Eve, Cary realizes that his gal still wants him to work but his sis is just as carefree as him. It’s fun, with some darker undertones and it works becoming the gem we know today..or should know.

2. MADE FOR EACH OTHER-1939


This stars 2 more greats, James Stewart and Carole Lombard as 2 young people who meet, fall in love and marry all in one day but, unlike Earnest Borgnine and Ethel Merman who quickly parted ways after a drunken sodden night, these 2 make a go of it. He is a young lawyer who is having a tough time keeping everything together given their financial issues and his snotty mother. His wife, pregnant, is ready to leave but New Year’s brings true heart ache when their new born child becomes very sick and needs a serum to survive but it’s far away. They realize their child might die unless that serum is delivered. This is a roller coaster ride of a film with comedy, drama, sadness and tension all rolled up in a good film. Stewart loved working with Lombard and enjoyed her potty mouth for which she was famous. He said she made those words sound normal.

3. LAST HOLIDAY-2006


I’m not quite sure why Queen Latifah got the Kennedy Center Honours when, I believe there re still others who deserve it more, but she is an accomplished actress and made this sweet movie fun. She stars as a woman working for a big box store who finds out she has only a few weeks to live. She looks at her scrapbook of possibilities and decides to cash 8n everything and take off to a very fancy hotel in the Czech Republic. She dresses in the finest and stays at the presidential suite getting the attention of some very rich people including the man who owns those big box stores, his mistress, a senator and the chef of the hotel. Soon, this man wants to one up her but can’t and wants to know who she truly is. You find out that she was misdiagnosed and is not dying so the man she loves, decides to go and tell her plus tell her he feels the same. It all culminates during New Year’s Eve. This is not a great film but it is a fun movie that is always nice to watch. 

What New Year’s movies can you think of?

19 comments:

  1. We enjoyed "Last Holiday." I think it was one of the last movies we went to. It's where I got the line "colder than a snowman's @$$" from...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s Birgit…here I thought you last went to the movies in the 90s. I love that line and some others too.

      Delete
  2. Great choices!

    Holiday is my favorite of Cary's movies and my second fave of Kate's after The Lion in Winter. It's a lovely, delicate thing with just one weakness, Doris Nolan as Julia. She's not bad just bland and the second that Kate Hepburn's Linda turns up the choice Johnny is facing is so lopsided it lessens the tension. If Joan Bennett, who had worked with Grant before and had a spiky chemistry with him, had been cast in the role the film would have an actual conflict to pull you in. The movie also contains Lew Ayres best ever acting. He was robbed of a nomination.

    Made for Each Other is a minor film for both stars but they work well together. Too bad they never were paired in a comedy, that would have been a great match.

    When I saw Last Holiday for the first time my expectations weren't high but I was utterly charmed. Queen Latifah carried the finger without a problem and Susan Kellerman is a scream as the meddling hotel detective who's heart is softened by Georgia.

    New Year's Eve scenes are a tough one but I did think of 1947's "Repeat Performance" where Joan Leslie gets the chance to relive the previous year and see if she can change the events which had culminated in her committing murder. Then there is the big New Year's climax in "When Harry Met Sally". If I remember correctly (and I'm not sure I do) the Rat Pack version of "Ocean's 11" pulled their heist on New Year's Eve. As I said I'm not positive, I haven't watch it in decades because let's face it the Clooney/Pitt one is leagues better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s me, Birgit and just testing

      Delete
    2. Ok good…it’s publishing…I know Holiday is one of your favs and I need to see it again. I can’t quite remember the gal whom Grant was initially engaged to. I think I like Made for Each other more than you but that might be because I love the 2 leads. You’re right…they would have been great in comedy together. I’m with you about Last Holiday and now I like to see it again.
      I have not seen the one with Joan Leslie and it’s on my list now. I like those types of movies. When Harry Met Sally is iconic for many reasons and when Meg Ryan was on her game ( now she looks like a freak). Yes, Oceans 11 did take place on New Years and it’s good but I actually like the remake more.

      Delete
  3. I've not seen your picks, but I could probably come up with a number of New Year's related films. Two immediately came to my mind.

    Repeat Performance (1947) where a woman kills her husband on New Year's Eve and then goes back in time to relive her year to change the outcome.

    One of my all-time favorites is The Poseidon Adventure (1972) which takes place during New Year's.

    Good topic with lots of choices.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s Birgit…you are with Joel on Repeat Performance which I must see. I almost chose The Poseidon Adventure which is great

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear you're picking up the torch!

    I can't think of any that haven't already been named. We love Holiday at our house, probably our second favorite Hepburn/Grant film after The Philadelphia Story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s Birgit…yes..I want to keep it going and I. Glad you like my one choice. I want to see it again.

      Delete
  5. Continue it anyway! I'll go with your one from yesterday, When Harry Met Sally. (I think I saw it here.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s Birgit…yes and it’s. Good movie that I haven’t seen for a while

      Delete
  6. Last Holiday sounds entertaining.
    Hope your holidays were wondrous and that 2024 will be as well.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s Birgit and it is entertaining and one you would enjoy, I believe.

      Delete
  7. Aww Last Holiday. I need to watch that again. I don't think I ever saw all of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s just a fun movie and funny plus warm

      Delete
  8. My comment went to spam again. Sigh. What did I say...? I think it was something about having just seen Last Holiday a week before, not the whole thing but just the ending (as I had seen it before). It was on some random channel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s Birgit and I have to look at spam…I keep forgetting. I find this movie funny and heart warming

      Delete
  9. BIRGIT ~

    I don't think I've seen *any* of your choices here. I should probably watch the two black & white movies, as that's more in my wheelhouse.

    If I recall correctly (and perhaps I don't), I believe there was a New Year's Eve scene in 'When Harry Met Sally'. If so, that would probably have to be my first choice.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s Birgit and you are correct! Harry Met Sally is perfect for this because New Year’s is privately in this film.

      Delete