Thursday, September 19, 2024

Cars!!

 


I have had plenty of lemons, er, cars and I have the claim to fame of owning not one, but 2 Ambassadors, a 1970 and a 1973 junk heap. The alternator and/or the voltage regulator would always go pfft on these wrecks. Why did I own a 2nd one of these? My dad decided it was a good idea and bought the 2nd one for $400. The frame was shot and it had to be bondoed together. Every time something fell off, I just threw it into the back seat making sure it did not land on the floor since there was a huge hole so you could watch the road go by. Friends, who rode in the back, were warned not to place their feet on the bottom or they will feel like Fred Flintstone or Barney Rubble. This made me think of some famous cars in films that became, justifiably, famous. I realize I could do more than one post but, for now, I am just talking about cars this one time( for now).

By the way, yesterday’s post, which son won the Oscar…The Continental won, The Carioca was nominated and the very famous”I Only Have Eyes For You” was ripped off.  So, on with the show..

1. THE YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE-1964


This is a star-studded film involving the lives of people who all own this beautiful car over the decades. We see this car, in ll its splendour when it is bought by Sexy Rexy Harrison for his wife, from there, we see its new owner whose girlfriend finds love in a poor chap. During the war, the now shabby car helps in the Resistance as well as love  played by Ingrid Bergman and Omar Sharif, and so on. It could have been better film but I always enjoyed it because this car sees so much during its life time. It’s not sure if it should be a comedy or a drama but I did find it entertaining.

2. BULLITT-1968


The new Ford Mustang, electric, sounds like its balls were chopped off. Give me the original car any day! It was made famous in the great, gritty cop drama staring Steve McQueen who did almost all the stunts himself. McQueen plays a cop on the trail of the underworld who killed a witness left in his charge. One of the all time best, ….best car chases is in this film involving McQueen and 2 hit men told to get rid of the cop. I love that these hoods actually look like accountants and they are not under 25 but mature. There is no CGI and, thankfully, no Vin Diesel in some very unrealistic chases. The car chase is much longer and it’s brilliant..did I say that?

3. SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT-1977


This is a very fun movie that was a huge hit back in the 70s and, yes, I saw it in the theatre. It’s one long car chase with Burt Reynolds in the famous Trans Am and Jerry Reed, his friend, in the semi truck, with his dear dog, a hound named Fred. They are bringing illegal contraband, beer and are being chased by Jackie Gleason as a sheriff with his nimkapoop son. The son was supposed to get married that day to Sally Field who runs away and ends up with Reynolds in the car. You have some great car chases, again, no CGI and so much more realistic. It’s meant to be fun and not a thought provoking film, just a good flick. Burt Reynold and Sally Field started their 5 year affair during the making of this film. After this movie, just about every guy owned a Trans Am with fuzzy dice hanging from t(eir rear view mirror. Ughhh….

Ok one more…

4. HERBIE, THE LOVE BUG-1969


My mom’s best friend owned a blue Volkswagen and so did my Aunt and Uncle but this film is a special Beatle because it is sentient! Walt Disney created this gem that became a huge hit with more sequels and remakes. The original is so good that stars Dean Jones as an over the hill race car driver now in crash up derby shows. His best friend is Buddy Hackett who finds out the car has a mind of its own and, of course, we have an evil Brit trying to get the beloved Beatle. The love interest is played by Michelle Lee who believe in the bug and in Jones. It’s sweet and funny and you just love this bug. 

What car movies can you think of?

1 comment:

  1. Laughing at your car description and Fred Flintstone reference! ☺ My old 'dogmobile' was like that too (Ford Taurus station wagon). I couldn't afford a better car at the time, because our Dalmatian needed expensive medical attention. Of course, she came first! ♥

    'The Yellow Rolls Royce" is an old favourite and I paid through the nose to get a DVD copy for my library (It's hard to find!). Thanks for the reminder, and I'll be watching it again, soon. ☺ I also loved the Smokey and the Bandit movies. (We owned a Camaro Z28 - better than a Trans Am!) Bullitt is a classic, for sure, and who doesn't love Herbie? Excellent car movie choices! First one that came to mind is 'It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World'. 'The Gumball Rally' was fun too.

    ReplyDelete