Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Which Song Won The Oscar-1935

 


90 years ago these songs were very famous and, we still know these songs, well, many of us do…some of us…anyway, I wonder if you can figure out who won, which song was nominated and which was robbed. I’m joining in on the Monday Music Moves Me over at Curious As A Cathy, who has a great blog, by the way.

1. I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU SUNG BY DICK POWELL


This famous song, more well known by The Flamingoes and Art Garfunkel, was introduced by Dick Powell in the film, “Dames”  that co-starred Ruby Keeler. These 2 were in more than one film in the early 30s way before Dick Powell became a film Noir Private Eye and director. It was written by Harry Warren with lyrics by  Al Dubin. 

2. THE CONTINENTAL SUNG BY GINGER ROGERS AND DANCED WITH ROGERS AND ASTAIRE


This song comes from, “The Gay Divorcee”  starring Astaire and Rogers and the dance became a hit to dance to as you can see in the film. Fred didn’t sing this song, Rogers did, aided by Erik Rhodes and Lillian Miles never mind all the dancers in this big number. The song was written by Con Conrad with lyrics by Herb Magidson.

3. THE CARIOCA SUNG BY ALICE GENTLE, MOVITA CASTENEDA AND ETTA MOTEN


Talk about. Production! This was the film that introduced Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers to the public and they stole the film. This was a song, written by Vincent Youmans with lyrics by Edward Eliscu and Gus Kahn, became a huge hit and people butted heads to create a dance craze, albeit briefly. 

So…can you guess which song won, which was nominated and which got no respect?

6 comments:

  1. Must admit that I just love the art Garfunkel version of I only have eyes for you one of my all time favs music evokes so many memories xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Birgit,

    If I remember correctly "The Continental" won but the other Fred & Ginger song was nominated. I don't think "I Only Have Eyes for You" scored even a nomination which is crazy in retrospect since it has proved the most durable. I would have been my choice but it's hardly the first classic tune that's been overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to guess that the second song won, the first was nominated, and the third was robbed. Regardless, all three are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Carioca clip was fun. Have a great one.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know the second song won. Don't know about nominated or left out so I will guess the third song for nominated. Oh, how I enjoyed both those dance numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't recognize the 3rd song. But I do know the other two.

    ReplyDelete