Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Oscar Songs-1990

 


It’s freebie week over at Monday Music Moves Me which you can see at Curious As A Cathy. It’s time to figure out which song won the Oscar, which one was nominated and which got nadda for the year 1990. I will try to remember to post which is which on my Thursday film list. So here we go, let’s see if you get it right…

1. SOMEWHERE IN MY MEMORY BY JOHN WILLIAMS AND CONDUCTOR 


This Famous piece is played everywhere and comes from the original “Home Alone” film. We know the story where the kid is left behind and the family doesn’t realize it until mom is on the plane. I am not a fan of Macaulay Caulkin but the brat is good in this but I love Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern as the comedic, inept robbers who remind me of something out of a Warner Bros. Cartoon. This music is from a prettier side of the film which takes place during Christmas and is justly famous. 

2. MO’ BETTER BLUES BY BRANFORD MARSALIS QUARTET WITH DENZEL WASHINGTON & WESLEY SNIPES


This song is from the film of the same name that stars Denzel and Wesley and…who knew they were this talented!? Actually, Denzel does not play the actual trumpet..sorry. This song was written by Lee III and the soundtrack is quite good and the film stars and is directed by Spike Lee who needs to take a chip off his shoulder but that’s for another day.

3. SOONER OR LATER SUNG BY MADONNA


This song, by Stephen Sondheim, came from that flick, “Dick Tracy” that stars Warren Beatty as the square-jarred detective who tries to keep crime at bay. The many criminals are a Who’s who of actors and the moll is played by Madonna at the height of her Marilyn Monroe phase. During the making of this, those 2 libidos on 2 legs got it on while making the film. Sadly, good ole’ Madonna had a hard time with the song and wondered who would write this crappy song. Yeah, classy.

So….who won, who was nominated and who came out empty-handed?

7 comments:

  1. Is it in this order - Nominated, Nada, Won?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Brittani said. ⬆️ My choice would have been Bon Jovi's 'Blaze of Glory', but, whatever... 😆 'Somewhere In My Memory' is so beautiful! Hard to believe it was in that goofy 'Home Alone' movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to take a wild guess and say the first came out empty-handed, the second was nominated, and the third won? I absolutely love Somewhere In My Memory, though. It gives such a sense of nostalgia and warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going with an instinct and saying #1 won, #2 nothing #3 nominated. I am not a huge fan of Madonna's but I liked the song and it's 30's-40's vibe, plus Madonna singing in a lower octave than some of her other hits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No idea, but I definitely like the middle one best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember seeing Home Alone in the theater. It was better than I expected. I don't remember which song won from that year. There was a time when I remembered all of that, but not any more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've often asked the question, which song would you consider the theme song for your life. I've received some interesting answers over the years, but when I am asked, I often answer Mo Better Blues. That song means a great deal to me. It would be my choice as the winner for that year.

    ReplyDelete