Saturday, April 9, 2016

Letter H


The A to Z Challenge

...Henry Fonda to James Stewart (Cheyenne Social Club) who starred in...

1. HARVEY-1950-COMEDY


DIRECTOR: Henry Koster
STARS: James Stewart, Josephine Hull*, Peggy Dow, Cecil Kellaway, Charles Drake, Jesse White, Harvey, the Pooka
PLOT: A nice, happily picked man has an invisible 6'3 1/2" rabbit as his constant companion much to the chagrin of his sister and niece. They decide to have him committed but not all goes as planned.
QUOTE: Well, I've wrestled with reality for  35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
OSCAR NOMS: Best Actor
OSCAR WINS:Best Supporting Actress*
LOVE: The overall sweetness of the film which comes through from Stewart, Hull and Kellaway
FAVOURITE SCENE: When Jimmy's character talks to the head of the institution about Harvey.
FAVOURITE CHARACTER: Elwood P Dowd (James Stewart) and Harvey (The Pooka)
TIDBITS: James Stewart loved playing this role that he repeated it on Broadway and on a TV Special. He considered it his favourite next to George Bailey in It's A Wonderful Life.
SIX DEGREES (MORE OR LESS) OF SEPARATION: James Stewart to Jacl lemmon (Bell, Book and Candle) to Walter Matthau (The Odd Couple) to Goldie Hawn (Cactus Flower) to Ed Harris (Swing Shift) to Viggo Mortensen (Appaloosa) who starred in

2.  HIDALGO-2005-ADVENTURE WESTERN



DIRECTOR: Joe Johnston
STARS: Viggo Mortensen, Omar Sharif, Zuleikha Robinson, Louise Lombard, J.K. Simmons
PLOT: A drunken man, haunted by his past, is offered to ride his horse in a 3,000 mile race in Arabia-The Najd desert area. He takes them up on his offer.
QUOTE: Mister.....you can say anything you want about me, I'm gonna have to ask you not to talk about my horse that way.
OSCAR NOMS: Nil
OSCAR WINS: Nil
LOVE: That it is a true story. The resilience that shows throughout this film.
FAVOURITE SCENE: The Indian Ghost Dance
FAVOURITE CHARACTER: Hidalgo the horse!
TIDBITS: Descendents of Hidalgo are still roaming the U.S. At the end of this film, Viggo (Hubba Hubba) bout the horse that played Hidalgo.
SIX DEGREES (MORE OR LESS) OF SEPARATION: Omar Sharif to Peter O'Toole (Lawrence of Arabia) to Katharine Hepburn (Lion in Winter) to....gotta wait until Monday:)

45 comments:

  1. It wasn't too long ago I heard of the film Harvey. I thought it sounded hilarious and I would love to finally get to see it. You'll notice a running theme in my comments. There are a lot of films I like to see, I just never find the time to watch them. Mostly because I don't have a Netflix account. The closest I have is Amazon Prime. And only a handful of what they have available is free to watch. Thanks for the great posts. My friend Harvey and I enjoy reading them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the old movies are not on Netflix which is why I don't have it.

      Delete
  2. Hooray! I was hoping you were heading for Harvey. Such a wonderful film. Beginning to end, it hits all the right buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, dear Birgit!

    I saw Harvey and enjoyed it as much as James Stewart enjoyed playing his character in it. Harvey was released at a time when heavy drinking was still considered socially acceptable, drunks were regarded as cute and funny and "seeing things" while under the influence was a cliche. That's the problem I have with the movie from today's perspective. Apart from that, the prospect of having an invisible pooka as a best friend set the stage for some hilarious moments throughout the film. The quote you posted is very funny. I enjoyed character actor Jesse White and first got to know him in the TV series Private Secretary/The Ann Sothern Show. As most of us remember, Jesse enjoyed late career success in commercials as the iconic Maytag repairman.

    Thank you, dear friend BB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The may tag repairman was iconic! You are right about loveable drunks. I love Bewitched and saw this more than once on that show

      Delete
  4. Seen Hidalgo and liked it, but remember thinking it was a tad long. Still have to see Harvey, it has been on my list for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Hidalgo and was enthralled by every moment. Hope you see Harvey one day and maybe the movie too :)

      Delete
  5. Haven't seen Hidalgo. Harvey was a delight. But then I always enjoyed Stewart in anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard of Harvey, but hadn't seen it. However, I have seen Hidalgo and enjoyed it immensely :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Hidalgo is a great movie but I know few who have seen it.

      Delete
  7. Haven't seen either, thanks for expanding my TBW list. Here from the A-Z and enjoyed your post.

    Nilanjana.
    Ninja Minion, A-Z 2016
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you dropped in and enjoyed reading this

      Delete
  8. Harvey is indeed a classic. I hear they plan a remake with a CGI bunny, which would ruin the whole point of the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would destroy the whole meaning of the film and I pray it doesn't star Adam Sandler

      Delete
  9. I've not seen the movie Harvey, but I've seen the play at the local community theatre. It's a wonderful show. Now I want to see the film... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried to watch Harvey on TV but couldn't get on with it I'm afraid. Never seen Hidalgo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! It stars Jimmy Stewart...... I'll just be
      I've you had a bad day:)

      Delete
  11. I love Harvey. The movie is a classic and always good for a giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVED Hidalgo. One of my all time favorites. Loved the horse. Love Mortensen. He supposedly was so taken with the horse, he bought it. Though, I heard they had several different horses playing Hidaldgo. If you watch it closely the markings don't appear to be exactly the same on the horse in each scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you love it as much as I do. Yes, he did buy the "main" horse but they did use more than one.

      Delete
  13. I've seem bth movies. Harvey is a personal favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Harvey and find it endearing. We can learn from Jimmy's character who. Is just very amiable and happy

      Delete
  14. I know I've seen Harvey - but I was a child and was only interested in the big white rabbit. I really should watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were probably waiting to see the pooka who never appeared

      Delete
  15. I know I've seen Harvey - but I was a child and was only interested in the big white rabbit. I really should watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed Hidalgo! Amazing story :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It took several years, but I finally sat down and watched Harvey. Interesting film. Never got around to Hildago, though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jimmy Stewart was so perfect in "Harvey". Hidalgo sounds familiar, but I haven't seen it. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was perfect. Hope you see Hidalgo one day

      Delete
  19. Saw Hidalgo. Great movie. A shame it didn't get more (or any) Oscar considerations.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Birgit, I haven't seen Harvey, but I do like Jimmy Stewart. I will see if it's available on Netflix. I did see Hidalgo several years back and if memory serves me I was not too impressed with it, but I can't remember why. Maybe I'll have to see if this is available on Netflix to watch a second time.

    ~Curious as a Cathy
    All Things Vintage: Hershey chocolate #AprilA2Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Harvey and wish Jimmy was still around. You may like Hidalgo the 2nd time around

      Delete
  21. You know I miss Jimmy Stewart and -and- and that stuttering voice of his. Hidalgo was a wonderful movie but just about any movie with horses gets my vote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss Jimmy too and wish he was still around. If you like horses...you'll like this one

      Delete
  22. Haven't seen either...but they sound like good ones. And that H is amazing!
    x Asha

    ReplyDelete