Monday, April 18, 2016

Letter O



A to Z Challenge

...Cyd Charisse starred with Gene Kelly (Brigadoon) and Gene Kelly starred in

1. ON THE TOWN-1949-MUSICAL


DIRECTOR: Stanley Donan & Gene Kelly
STARS: Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Jules Munshin, Vera-Ellen, Ann Miller, Betty Garrett
PLOT: 3 Sailors, on a 24 hour leave in New York City, go on the hunt to find Ms. Turnstiles. Along the way, they meet a couple of other wacky gals.
QUOTE: (after a call comes in that a dinosaur has collapsed, the cop says)- That's terrible, she's my favourite singing star, that Dinah Shore!
OSCAR NOMS: see below
OSCAR WINS: Best Musical Score
LOVE: The Dancing! What else is new
FAVOURITE SCENE: The Prehistoric Man scene.
FAVOURITE CHARACTER: Claire Huddesen(Ann Miller)
TIDBITS: Frank Sinatra was at his height of fame with all the bobby soxers. The production decided to film the opening scene on location which was a first for musicals. Not only did they have to deal with the constant rain but all the fans wanting to see Frank. At the end of the song which takes place at Rockefeller Centre, you can see all the fans at the top watching the filming. Oh, Sinatra was really , really skinny and had no ass so he had to wear a prosthetic to show a little something on the screen much to his chagrin:)
SIX DEGREES (MORE OR LESS) OF SEPARATION: Gene Kelly starred with Spencer Tracy(Inherit The Wind) who starred with Marlene Dietrich (Judgement at Nuremberg). She starred with John Wayne (The Spoilers) who starred with Robert Duvall (True Grit). Robert Duvall starred with Kevin Costner in...

2. OPEN RANGE-2003-WESTERN


DIRECTOR: Kevin Costner
STARS: Kevin Costner, Robert Duvall, Annette Benning, Michael Jeter(his last role), Michael Gambon
PLOT: Open Rangers, who wish to live in peace, come to a small town ruled by a nasty land Baron who hates open rangers. When one of the rangers is attacked, they seek help from the Doctor but only his sister is there who helps out. Now the rangers must defend what they have.
QUOTE: It's a pretty day for making things right!
OSCAR NOMS: Nil
OSCAR WINS: Nil
LOVE: The Cinematography
FAVOURITE SCENE: When Duvall's character reveals his first name to Costner's character
FAVOURITE CHARACTER: Boss Spearman (Robert Duvall)
TIDBITS: Anthony Hopkins loved this film so much that he atually wrote fan letter to Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner.
SIX DEGREES (MORE OR LESS) OF SEPARATION:  Annette Benning starred ( and married) Warren Beatty (Bugsy), who starred with Vivien Leigh (Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone) who starred with Clark Gable (Gone With The Wind). Clark Gable starred with Spencer Tracy (Boom Town) and he starred with.....

55 comments:

  1. Two more good choices. I used to love musicals, but now I get antsy sitting through some of the old dance routines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antsy?? I love them and can rewind and watch again:)

      Delete
  2. Hi, dear Birgit!

    I saw On the Town back in 2007, the year I spent binge watching hundreds of old movies in an effort to fill in the blanks and gain a more complete knowledge of vintage films. I don't usually like or watch musicals, but I enjoyed this one. I always admired Ann Miller and, as most of us know, Betty Garrett extended her career on TV playing Irene Lorenzo, the liberal thorn in Archie Bunker's side on All in the Family. I haven't seen Open Range because I am not very fond of Westerns either, but Annette Benning is one of my favorite actresses and I think actor Rob't Duvall is great in every one of his roles.

    Thank you, dear friend BB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love 2 genres you don't but not every genre is to everyone's liking. On the Town is a classic and, if you haven't seen it, I would recommend Dinging in the Rain and The Bandwagon because, the stories on each, the acting and humour can stand on their own and I think you would appreciate these 2

      Delete
  3. I loved Open Range. Have a great week Birgit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Open Range was a great movie; enjoyed that one very much :) Hadn't heard of the other one though.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Open Range is a good film and the other is excellent if you like musicals.

      Delete
  5. Not seen either of these (shocking!), but that bit about Frank needing butt padding made me laugh. And that is quite something that Anthony Hopkins wrote a letter telling them how much he liked the movie. No one writes letters anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed when I read that about Frank but he he was so skinny. I wish more people wrote letters

      Delete
  6. I've seen Anchors Aweigh, but not On the Town. Love Anchors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that movie also...love the dance with Gene and the little girl

      Delete
  7. Never knew that about Hopkins. It was a really great movie. Watched it a few times at my sea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our "On the Towns" never really panned out that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither did mine:) I nev see 3 men break out in so g

      Delete
  9. Our "On the Towns" never really panned out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen either of these - but my mum loved Cyd Charisse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't seen either of these - but my mum loved Cyd Charisse.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In high school, we played something from On the Town once. Sight read it, and never touched it again. I haven't seen the whole movie, but I have seen bits of it.

    Tomorrow, Pat and Mike?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought Open Range was great. Don't you love Robert Duvall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love him and he loves dancing especially the tango

      Delete
  14. On the Town always reminds me of my dad who was mustered out of the Navy in 1945 and got to spend a few days exploring New York.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty cool...did he sing and dance his way:) I know he didn't but it's nice to think that way...for me anyway

      Delete
  15. I liked Open Range and other Kevin Kostner films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aside from a couple of his stinkers, he is quite good and I like him as an actor

      Delete
  16. Enjoyed On the Town but like Denise, I get antsy these days only not with all musicals. I haven't seen Open Range though. You mentioned Cyd Charisse at the beginning she and Ann Miller were my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never get antsy with musicals. I love both these dancers

      Delete
  17. Oh, I think I know where you're headed with P... A quaint little motel on the coast, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cinematography can make or break a western, especially on the big screen. The scenery with Open Range was great and helped make it a good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooooo, Birgit! I love the old musicals. I don't think I've ever heard of Open Range.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's been a long time since I saw Open Range.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Warm citrus colors for this beautiful O. Love the corner filigree trim too. Loved both these shows (Open Range, probably the best). Did not know the Sinatra tidbit. This kind of trivia always makes the movie more interesting, somehow. TFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you are liking my letters:) Open Range is such a good movie and these tidbits are fun to know about

      Delete
  22. Open Range. Dang, I'm going to see if I can find that on Netflix.
    Good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Replies
    1. I believe you must be talking about Cyd's...there are no other

      Delete
  24. I've seen Open Range. My husband loved it. I thought it was OK. I don't watch a lot of westerns.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I haven't seen either of these, but I have heard of them. I like the Tidbits on both today :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Slowly catching up - thanks for your message on my blog, I look forward to seeing your pictures. We had a great day!
    The Glasgow Gallivanter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you had a great day..I did also and it was wonderful meeting you

      Delete
  27. These are a few I have never seen. The second one sounds kind of interesting. It would be nice if some time I were to ever see it, but I can only imagine it might be difficult to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be hard to find unless you find them at the library or a video store.

      Delete
  28. Always liked Cyd Charisse; better than Ginger Rogers. :) I've never seen the western, but it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup..loved Cyd even though she was not in On The Town. Open Range is an excellent western

      Delete
  29. Seen the Town but not the Range. Sounds like a fascinating movie.
    x Asha

    ReplyDelete