Friday, April 15, 2016

Letter M


The A to Z Challenge

...Katherine Hepburn starred with John Wayne (Rooster Cogburn). John Wayne starred in...

1. MCLINTOCK-1963-COMEDY WESTERN


DIRECTOR:Andrew V. McLaglen
STARS: John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Yvonne DeCarlo, Stephanie Powers, Patrick Wayne
PLOT: Big man of the town is trying to help the Native Americans but his long gone, but not forgotten, spitfire of a wife blows into town with their daughter in tow.
QUOTE: You've caused a lot of trouble this morning, might have got somebody killed. Somebody oughta belt you right in the mouth, but I won't....I won't...The Hell I won't!
OSCAR NOMS: nil
OSCAR WINS: nil
LOVE: The camaraderie of all the stars
FAVOURITE SCENE: The mudpit scene
FAVOURITE CHARACTER: Katherine Gilhooley McLintock (Maureen O'Hara)
TIDBITS: Everyone loved making this film and had a great time because it felt like family. Yvonne DeCarlo was down on her luck and John Wayne helped her. When the stuntmen wanted hazard pay for doing the mudslide scene, Maureen O'Hara thought they were silly and did the stunt herself with John Wayne despite it being very cold(filmed in November).
SIX DEGREES (MORE OR LESS) OF SEPARATION: John Wayne starred with Robert Duvall (True Grit) who starred with Michael Caine (Secondhand Lions) who starred with Brendan Fraser ( The Quiet American). Brendan Fraser starred in...

2. THE MUMMY-1999-ACTION ADVENTURE HORROR



DIRECTOR: Stephen Sommers
STARS: Brendan Fraser, Rachel Weisz, Jon Hannah, Arnold Vasloo, Kevin O'Connor, Oded Fehr
PLOT: An adventurer, a klutsy librarian and her cowardly brother race to an ancient Egyptian city and mistakenly awaken a mummy.
QUOTE: I love the whole sandwall trick....it was beautiful......bastard.
OSCAR NOMS: Best Sound
OSCAR WINS: Nil
LOVE: The special effects but hate those bugs
FAVOURITE SCENE: When the heros go up in a rickety airplane flown by Bernard Fox
FAVOURITE CHARACTER: Jonathan Carnahan (Jon Hannah)
TIDBITS: Brendan Fraser almost died when doing the hanging scene. the rope was too tight and he woke up on the ground. That really is Arnold Vasloo all wrapped up at the beginning of the film and he was freaking out since he suffers from claustophobia. Oded Fehr, who plays a (hubba hubba) hero riding on horseback, couldn't ride and was scared of the horses.
SIX DEGREES (MORE OR LESS) OF SEPARATION: Brendan Fraser starred with Christopher Walkin (Blast From the Past) starred with Anthony Zerbe (The Dead Zone) who starred with Paul Newman (Cool Hand Luke). Paul Newman starred with....til Saturday:)



55 comments:

  1. I believe that was one of my dad's favourite films. He loved John Wayne. I loved the mummy. It was dramatic and funny. Best scene is when he screams at the trio of mummies and they yell back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love westerns and John Wayne so your dad and I could talk:) That was a funny scene.

      Delete
  2. Interesting facts about the Mummy! I didn't know any of them. Did enjoy the movie though; not so much the sequels, but definitely that one.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I watch the commentary and both these men mentioned their issues. The crew had to deal with sandstorms and snakes ...yuck

      Delete
  3. Hi, dear Birgit!

    I saw The Mummy (1999) and several mummified movies that came before it including the string starring Lon Chaney, Jr. - The Mummy's Tomb, The Mummy's Ghost and The Mummy's Curse. People tend to forget that Yvonne DeCarlo had a movie acting career before she became famous as Lily Dracula Munster. It impresses me that Maureen O'Hara was a trouper and performed her own stunt.

    Thanks, dear friend BB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne had a great career and also sang! Many don't know this about her even though she sang on The Munsters. Maureen O'Hara did the mudslide and falling into the horse trough. She didn't realize how dangerous the last one was but she wanted the effect and not look like a man. Wayne and the director didn't want the women to get hurt even the stunt women so they used small men dressed as them for the stair falling sequence for example. Oh and when Wayne spanked her with the hairbrush, he really did and O'Hara felt it for weeks after.

      Delete
  4. I seen the first a long time ago, vaguely recall it. Never knew those facts about the Mummy. They are remaking it now with Tom Cruise, uggg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you serious??? Ughhhhh oh no and it will be more serious and all that blah blah

      Delete
  5. The Mummy was fantastic. I fear they jumped the shark with that Chinese mummy thing, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen that last one ...only clips. The 2nd one was not as good either

      Delete
  6. I always enjoy any John Wayne movie! Love it that you know and share so much about the movies with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love John Wayne and glad you are enjoying my blog write ups.

      Delete
  7. My dad's one of those John Wayne fans who loves that one...I was always a fan of the Mummy movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love John Wayne! I love and enjoy the first Mummy film but the remakes are not as good.

      Delete
  8. The Mummy was such an amazing movie.

    https://ficklemillennial.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved John Wayne in True Grit... I haven't seen The Mummy.

    Susan A Eames from
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Wayne IS True Grit:) the mummy is a fun film

      Delete
  10. I've never been much of a John Wayne fan, but "The Mummy" wasn't a bad movie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. It is an entertaining film that I can see over and over

      Delete
  12. I loved these movies and was impressed with all the details you know, especially about Wayne helping out Yvonne, and Maureen doing her own stunt. She was one heck of a woman! Thanks so much for sharing and putting a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have bios on John Wayne plus about this film and Maureen O'Hara so I enjoy sharing these tidbits. Glad I put a smile on your face.

      Delete
  13. I like Rachel Weisz, but not enough to put up with Fraser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take it you are not a fan of this actor:)

      Delete
  14. I loveloveLOVE McLintock. The 1999 Mummy, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you love this movie and have seen it!

      Delete
  15. Don't apologize its a sign of weakness - John Wayne always knew how to crack people open, wide open.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clever concept for the challenge, nicely done.
    I once committed myself to an entire award nomination post, via seven degrees of separation, it got rather...involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow that would be tough. Not sure how you did that

      Delete
  17. Nope, never saw either of them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had no idea Brendan Frasier almost died filming The Mummy. That was quite the film... in more ways than one it would seem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...when I watched the commentary I was surprised and I read more on it. I don't think I would want to do that stunt

      Delete
  19. OMG! Brendan Fraser nearly died????? I did not know that! I'm a fan of Brendan's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...some say he had to be revived and others say he passed out. Either way it was a stunt that went wrong.

      Delete
  20. I love John Wayne!

    I didn't see The Mummy from 1999 but I did see the original one, the black and white one, from way back in the day...

    Good movies!

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love John Wayne of course and I saw the original with Boris Karloff but I haven't seen it in years and would like to again.

      Delete
  21. The Mummy was a great mix of action and comedy, I enjoyed it and I like that quote you picked :) I've heard a lot about Mclintock, and I have no idea why I haven't watched it yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that quote...it's right after the mummy takes the bad guy and heroine to the desert. They are full of sand and that's when he says this...cracks me up every time.

      Delete
  22. I loved the Mummy and have a collection of mummy movies from the first black and white to the last sequel. Thanks for the great post and info. Bastet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool. That you have every mummy movie...some of them are priceless

      Delete
  23. I do like Brendan Fraser, but I couldn't do The Mummy. Nope. Just couldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bummer...we'll so,e mo it's are t for everyone

      Delete
  24. John Wayne was super! Remembered him well in the Alamo, True Grit and a lot more of others. Thanks for the memory Birgit!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  25. I know these ones! ☺ Hubby and I both enjoy the comic western genre and we have the Mummy box set on DVD. The third one wasn't great, but still watchable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The comic western is great to watch. I just watched Support your local Gunfighter again...so funny. I still have to see the 3rd Mummy...I have only seen bits and pieces.

      Delete
  26. I haven't seen Mclintock but The Mummy? Several times.One of our TV channels is very fond of showing the series every often! Funny thing is I've never once watched it from start to finish! The letter M looks beautiful, Birgit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They show The Mummy here a lot also and I wish they would realize there are more than just 5 movies to rerun. Thank you about my letter:)

      Delete
  27. The monogram stamps are so pretty. Love the gold embossing with the colors. Wonder if this is a PSX set? Thought I'd seen PSX have some of these when I first started stamping. McClintock is on one of my fav Duke movies (along with The quiet Man & The Searchers). TFS & Happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Haven't seen either of these... but I am mazed at how much background info you have under your belt. WOW!
    x Asha

    ReplyDelete