Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Scary Men/Monsters...Not Really




These 3 are biggies when it comes to scary movies. Boris Karloff made it big as the monster in Frankenstein and appeared as a sinister being in many other films but he was a gentle soul who loved to garden. One time, still dressed as Frankenstein’s monster, he went home, in the Hollywood Hills, to water his garden but didn’t count on a neighbour frightened out of gourd. Next thing, cops came rushing and he had to explain who he was. 

Vincent Price played in many films but is most famous for his ghoulish turns in some great and some campy horror films plus he lent his voice to many shows including the Thriller video with Michael Jackson who stiffed him by never paying him…jerk. Vincent was a very mild and gentle man who adored his first wife and loved to cook and loved art. In fact, he wrote books on both and was considered an expert.

Christopher Lee is known for his sinister looks, deep voice and sinister characters like Dracula. To be honest, he would be the most scary since he was part of the OSS during World War 2 and could not talk about his experiences but let’s just say, he probably was a Bond type. He was a voracious reader, loved meeting great minds like Tolkien and he loved to sing. A couple of years before he died, he made a heavy metal album!

I’m joking the Monday Music Moves Me over at Curious As A Cathy and here I picked 3 that connect directly to these 3 horror icons…

1. I CANT ESCAPE FROM YOU WITH BORIS KARLOFF AND ROSEMARY CLOONEY-1957


I can’t believe I found this gem that is from the Rosemary Clooney show and showcases Karloff’s comical side. By the way, Karloff was the narrator for “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas”.

2. YOU’VE GOT A FRIEND  WITH VINCENT PRICE AND THE MUPPETS-1977

This is from the Muppets first season and it’s a gem, at least, I think it is. Who doesn’t love the Muppets.

3. NAME YOUR POISON SUNG BY CHRISTOPHER LEE

This comes from a campy film that I now must see called, “The Return of Captain Invincible” that stars Alan Arkin and Christopher Lee. Lee actually has a good baritone voice and has sung many songs over the years and made more than one album. 

 I have to add one more which is just eerie and comes from a TV show called , “The Haunting of Hill House”….quite eerie, if you ask me.



14 comments:

  1. Vincent Price appeared on The Carol Burnett Show several times and was hilarious...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit here…yes he did appear there and had a great sense of humour. I always wanted to meet him.

      Delete
  2. Fun post, Birgit. 😃 I love Vincent Price! He also performed the intro for Alice Cooper's "Black Widow" for which, I'm sure, he was well-compensated. Shame on Michael Jackson. 😕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I watched that video and Alice Cooper has a huge respect for Vincent Price. Shame on crotch grabbing Jackson for sure

      Delete
  3. I think some of the actors with the most on screen creepy vibe tend to be nice in real life. What does that say about actors who seem so nice onscreen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit here…yes..well, some have been known to be real jerks like Gary Burghoff from MASH. Apparently, he was not very nice…who knows.

      Delete
  4. I loved Vincent Price - first I knew that Michael Jackson had stiffed him. Wow. I enjoyed this post so much - where did you dig these videos up? (pun intended) I never would have dreamed of Rosemary Clooney (one of my mother's favorite singers back in the day) doing a duo with Price. I could see him with the Muppets. Again, great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Birgit..yea, I knew Lee sang but wasn’t sure about the others but I was lucky to find these gems. I was happy to find these gems

      Delete
  5. Fascinating info on Boris, Vincent and Christopher. Thanks for sharing. Hope you're well.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Birgit…I just love that they were all so gentle…even Lee. I’m doing ok.

      Delete
  6. I've seen some of the old clips with Vincent Price in comical roles which isn't what most people know him for but he does comedy quite well. I haven't heard Christopher Lee or Boris Karloff singing before. The last music vid has a great eerie vibe! Thanks for sharing and for joining the party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His Cathy…this is Birgit. Isn’t that last one eerie!? I’m glad I found all of these videos.Christopher Lee did. Few albums.

      Delete
  7. Hi Birgit - well that song takes on a different look now ... thanks for these - I hadn't seen the Muppet one ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Birgit…I’m lucky to have found these gems.

      Delete